Film: Blown Away
This 1994 movie was directed by Stephen Hopkins. It starred Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones.Ryan Gaerity (Jones), an insane Irish terrorist, escapes from his cell in a castle prison in Northern Ireland. Meanwhile, in faraway Boston, Lt. Jimmy Dove (Bridges) is a veteran bomb disposal technician for the Boston Police Department bomb squad. He irritates his captain, partner and everyone else when he plays hero and disarms explosives.Nobody, except for his uncle Max O'Bannon (Lloyd Bridges), knows of Jimmy's dark past. Originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Jimmy's actual name is Liam McGivney. He had been friends and partners with Gaerity, who, unbeknownst to him, was a freelance terrorist. After a botched attempt to stop Gaerity led to the bomber's imprisonment and the death of his girlfriend (Gaerity's sister), Liam fled to Boston.Gaerity now comes to Boston to seek vengeance against Jimmy.
Provides examples of:
- all lowercase letters: The actors' names on the poster.
- Big NO: Jimmy, as Max Mercy Kills himself to avoid the bomb Gaerity wired him to taking Jimmy with him.
- Black Best Friend: Anthony Franklin (Forest Whitaker) to Jimmy Dove.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Gaerity - always one step ahead of Jimmy and the bomb squad.
- Dark and Troubled Past/Dark Secret : Jimmy's past in Northern Ireland.
- Homemade Inventions/Improbable Weapon User/MacGyvering: Gaerity is a bomb-making artist. He can "make bombs out of Bisquick."
- Janitor Impersonation Infiltration: Gaerity in the bomb squad department.
- Land Mine Goes Click:
- A co-worker of the lead protagonist character, Anthony Franklin (Forrest Whitaker) hears the click of the trigger for an explosive trap planted by Ryan Gaerity as he sits down. Franklin survives, courtesy of a phone call made by using his foot to dial 911 on the telephone that was just beyond his reach.
- There's also several other variations on this. In an early scene where the bomb disposal expert is teaching a class, Franklin is being overly cocky, so the instructor tells him to come up to the front of the class to demonstrate how to disarm a Bouncing Betty. As he's walking, he steps on one with a click, and the instructor tells him there's no way of disarming it when it's already active. Franklin tries away, figures out the explosive payload is just paint, and sets it off by walking away. Later in the film, this becomes relevant when the protagonist, confronting Gaerity, is caught standing on a real Bouncing Betty land mine. He steps off, using the explosion to help him take out Gaerity and getting injured himself.
- Large Ham: Tommy Lee Jones and Lloyd Bridges are clearly having fun in their roles.
- Mad Bomber: Gaerity. And how. He even goes so far as to wire up Max, his substitute father, to a bomb, when Max tries to warn Jimmy of Gaerity's plot. Though Jimmy tries to help, it doesn't end well for Max.
- Officer O'Hara: It seems like every cop in Boston is Irish, with most of them having accents that indicate they are first generation immigrants.
- Psycho for Hire: Gaerity, before he was imprisoned.
- Post-Climax Confrontation: After killing Gaerity, Jimmy has to go back to save Kate from being blown up by a car bomb.
- Rage Against the Legal System: Variation. Gaerity wants Jimmy to suffer and die-the lot of cops who are racing to disable his bombs and are being blown up by him are, in his words, just "casualties of war". Dove shuts him up by pointing out that Gaerity is just lying off his ass.
- Reformed Criminal: Jimmy Dove. He used his knowledge of explosives to become a bomb disposal cop.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Villainous version.
- The Sociopath: Gaerity.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: Gaerity.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Given the main villain is a Mad Bomber practicing his skills, things exploding are pretty much a given.
- Western Terrorists: Gaerity was an explosives expert who worked with the IRA, as did Jimmy in his youth.