This 1994 movie was directed by Stephen Hopkins
. It starred Jeff Bridges
and Tommy Lee Jones
Ryan Gaerity (Jones), an insane Irish terrorist, escapes from his cell in a castle prison in Northern Ireland
. Meanwhile, in faraway Boston
, Lt. Jimmy Dove (Bridges) is a veteran bomb disposal technician for the Boston Police Department bomb squad. He irritates his captain, partner and everyone else when he plays hero and disarms explosives
Nobody, except for his uncle Max O'Bannon (Lloyd Bridges), knows of Jimmy's dark past
. Originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Jimmy's actual name is Liam McGivney. He had been friends and partners with Gaerity, who, unbeknownst to him, was a freelance terrorist. After a botched attempt to stop Gaerity led to the bomber's imprisonment and the death of his girlfriend (Gaerity's sister), Liam fled to Boston.
Gaerity now comes to Boston to seek vengeance against Jimmy.
Provides examples of:
- all lowercase letters: The actors' names on the poster.
- And Your Little Dog Too
- Big NO: Jimmy, as Max Mercy Kills himself to avoid the bomb Gaerity wired him to taking Jimmy with him.
- Black Best Friend: Anthony Franklin (Forest Whitaker) to Jimmy Dove.
- Bomb-Throwing Anarchists: Gaerity.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Gaerity - always one step ahead of Jimmy and the bomb squad.
- Dark and Troubled Past/Dark Secret : Jimmy's past in Northern Ireland.
- Fake Irish: Tommy Lee Jones, Jeff Bridges and Lloyd Bridges. The film was widely criticized for the poor Irish accents of the three Irish characters, Tommy Lee Jones in particular.
- Homemade Inventions/Improbable Weapon User/MacGyvering: Gaerity is a bomb-making artist. He can turn anything into a bomb.
- The Irish Diaspora
- Janitor Impersonation Infiltration: Gaerity in the bomb squad department.
- Land Mine Goes Click
- Large Ham: Tommy Lee Jones and Lloyd Bridges are clearly having fun in their roles.
- Mad Bomber: Gaerity. And how. He even goes so far as to wire up Max, his substitute father, to a bomb, when Max tries to warn Jimmy of Gaerity's plot. Though Jimmy tries to help, it doesn't end well for Max.
- Meaningful Release Date: The film is mostly set during Independence Day weekend. The film opened on July 1st, 1994, which was part of a four-day Independence Day weekend.
- Psycho for Hire: Gaerity, before he was imprisoned.
- Real Life Relatives: Jeff Bridges and his father, Lloyd Bridges.
- Reformed Criminal: Jimmy Dove. He used his knowledge of explosives to become a bomb disposal cop.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Villainous version.
- The Sociopath: Gaerity.
- Sadistic Choice
- Soft Spoken Sadist: Gaerity.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Western Terrorists: Gaerity. Jimmy in his youth too.