Film / The River Wild
The River Wild
is a 1994 American thriller film directed by Curtis Hanson
and starring Meryl Streep
, Kevin Bacon
, David Strathairn, John C. Reilly
, and Joseph Mazzello
. The story involves a family on a whitewater rafting trip who encounter two violent criminals in the wilderness.
- Affably Evil: Wade qualifies for this, period.
- Big Bad: Wade.
- Bond One-Liner: "He got to ride 'The Gauntlet' after all".
- Chekhov's gun: Because Gail's dad is deaf, the whole family knows sign language.
- Counting Bullets: Wade only got to reload his revolver once before his ammo is thrown overboard. In the end, he's surprised his gun is empty when Gail attempts to shoot him.
- The Dragon: Terry, though he reluctantly goes along with Wade's leadership.
- Hands-On Approach: Tom isn't quite amused to watch his wife teach Wade to flyfish.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: At the climax of the film, Gail kills Wade with the very same gun he was using against them for the duration of the movie.
- Insistent Terminology: Tom doesn't make sketches, he makes designs.
- Kick the Dog: Wade attempts to shoot the family's dog during the film because he considers it expendable. The dog gets away unharmed.
- Married to the Job: Tom is obsessed with his designs.
- Meaningful Name: Wade can't swim...
- Punch Clock Villain: Terry, as he at times contests Wade's method.
- Red Herring: Roarke throws his camera in the river to keep it away from Wade. Johnny finds it... and returns it to them.
- Scenery Porn
- Secret Test of Character: Gail fakes being out of bullets when holding Wade at gunpoint after surviving the Gauntlet, so she can see how he reacts.
- Skinny Dipping: Gail takes a bath in the river.
- Villain Ball: Wade murders Ranger Johnny, but fails to take his gun despite only having 2 bullets left.
- Wasn't That Fun??: After riding and surviving the feared "Gauntlet" with no injuries.