A 1986 teen drama film starring Keanu Reeves, Crispin Glover, and Dennis Hopper. Depicts a group of high school friends who realize that they are in the presence of a murderer.
This film provides examples of:
- Dramatic Irony: In one scene Layne tells Matt how he JUST KNOWS that Mike was the one to rat on John. Matt was actually the rat
- Layne even sarcastically suggests that Matt was the rat.
- Actor Allusion: Feck talks briefly about how he was a biker years previously. The actor, Dennis Hopper, gained fame for his role in the classic biker flick Easy Rider
- Ax-Crazy: John.
- Subverted with Feck. At first he seems to be this, but by the end of the movie we see that he's one of the more sane characters.
- The Ditz: Maggie
- Karma Houdini: even though the police know that he was an accomplice to murder, even more so than the rest of the kids, Layne faces no punishment for going out of his way to protect John.
- The Soulless: John.
- Tim would also qualify, as he shows no empathy whatsoever, for anyone. He goes out of his way to traumatize his little sister.
- Broken Pedestal: Clarissa realizes that her teacher is an asshole after he goes on a rant about the murder. Until that point, she had idolized him.
- True Companions: How Layne views the group. No one else seems to think so. They start to fall apart without Jamie.
- Stoner: Matt. While all of the kids smoke pot at least once in the film, Matt is the only one that is an out and out "stoner".
- Hidden Depths: Despite being a killer and apparently crazy, Feck is remorseful after having killed a girl twenty years prior to the movie taking place. It is obvious that he's not really all that proud of it, and he is bothered by it.
- Oh, Crap: When Tim sees that Matt knows Tim destroyed the monument to their sister's doll.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Not his mother, but his aunt (who seems to be suffering from some sort of mental disability). Upon seeing that the cops are at his doorstep, John's only reaction is "I hope they don't upset Aunto".
- Hypocritical Humor: Matt reprimands his little sister for saying "Damn". He then promptly says "Shit".
- Drunk Driver: Both Layne and John drink while driving.