The album and Music Video by Michael Jackson:
- Cut Song:
- "Carousel." Quincy Jones had it cut because he didn't want the record to have two novelty songs.
- "Behind the Mask", which was cut because of a disagreement about the royalties between Jackson and the original writers. It did get released in 2011's Michael, albeit with some overdubs.
- Referenced by...: In X-Men: Apocalypse, Nightcrawler owns a jacket which is a replica of Michael Jackson's from the Thriller music video.
- What Could Have Been:
- Jackson sang some duets with Freddie Mercury from Queen, but they were kept from the album.
- His cover of "Behind the Mask" was recorded in the album's sessions, but was Screwed by the Lawyers from putting onto the album.
- Long as the video is, it could've been even longer. As played on a re-release CD bonus, there was a second verse of Vincent Price's rap, ending in "Can you dig it?"
- The title track was originally called "Starlight" and it's a love song, with the same music.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Owing to a scheduling snafu which wouldn't allow him to write it earlier that morning, Rod Temperton was forced to write Vincent Price's spoken-work portion of "Thriller" while waiting for his car to drive him to the recording session.
The 1960s TV series:
- The series adapted stories by famous authors like Robert E. Howard and Cornell Woolrich.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: "Man in the Middle" has political comedian Mort Sahl playing a dramatic role.