Louis C K
's first show, Lucky Louie was HBO
's first multi-camera sitcom
filmed in front of a live Studio Audience
. Airing in 2006, and cancelled the same year
, Lucky Louie starred Louis C.K. as Louie
, a lower class husband and father and his family as they struggle through life in Boston.
to the sitcoms Louis C.K. grew up with like All in the Family
, Lucky Louie emulates those shows by not being afraid of a frank
and cynical view
of life. Lucky Louie also differentiates itself from other modern sitcoms by airing on HBO
, which means lots of swearing
, Black Comedy
, sex based storylines
(Male only though. Female nudity isn't funny
Provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The first two episodes focus on Kim's desire to have a second baby. It's not mentioned again in the show's (admittedly short) run.
- Black Best Friend: Invoked. Louie really wants Walter to like him in the Pilot. It's because he thinks the lack of diversity in his daughter's life might have a negative effect.
- Black Comedy: Brought over from Louis C.K.'s stand up.
- Black Comedy Rape: When Louie accidentally ends up in a confessional, he ends up telling the priest about a dream he had about being raped by a demon.
- Devil but No God: Apparently, Louie believes in Hell but not God.
- Friends Rent Control: Averted. The small apartment is quite realistic for a low-income household.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Fans of Louie will recognise Jim Norton appearing in both shows.
- Emma Stone also appears in one episode.
- Pamela Adlon appears as Louie's wife Kim, and is also his unrequited love interest/friend Pamela in Louie.
- Hollywood Atheist: Averted, Louie doesn't believe in god, but no real reason is given and he doesn't make a big deal about it.
- Standardized Sitcom Housing: Intentionally averted. Louis C.K. said that he found other sitcom sets too complicated and mindfully sought a simple design for his set.
- Vocal Dissonance: Louie is very surprised to find out he has been confessing to a black priest.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Kim's response to Louie trying to act like a better husband after Kim says she hates him.