is a 2003 American comedy directed by Todd Phillips and starring Luke Wilson
, Will Ferrell
, and Vince Vaughan
. It tells the story of three guys facing a midlife crisis who return to their alma mater and start a new fraternity, soon running afoul of the dean.
This film contains examples of:
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Frank is prone to this, hence why his wife wants him to stop drinking.
- Awesomeness-Induced Amnesia: Frank (who has never been shown to be anything more than average intelligence) is in a formal debate with a famous news pundit. After Frank delivers his argument, the pundit outright says that he has no response. When asked how Frank did that, he says he has no idea and that he blacked out.
- The Alcoholic: Frank used to be a massive alcoholic, to the point of earning the nickname "Frank the Tank". His wife has tried to force him to stop, much to his chagrin.
- Awful Wedded Life: "*cough*don't do it!*cough*"
- Brick Joke: In the post-credit scene, Mitch's ex-girlfriend Heidi shows up and invites Frank for an orgy.
- Butt Monkey: Mitch and Weensie.
- Comically Missing the Point: During Frank's meeting while talking about how he's felt since he got married, he got offtrack by talking about what kind of panties a waitress was wearing.
Frank: I'm sorry I don't know where I was going with that. But now that I'm married, I'm only allowed to have sex with just one person, for the rest of my life.
- Cool Old Guy: Blue, an elderly Navy veteran who joins the frat. He dies just before a KY Jelly wrestling match with two topless women.
- Could Have Avoided This Plot: Mitch should have told Nicole the truth about Mark.
Cook: Love is a motherfucker.
- Cover Innocent Eyes and Ears: Beanie frequently brings his young son with him, and demands that the other guys give him a heads-up if they're going to swear, so that he can tell his son to cover his ears.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Mark (the cheating boyfriend of the main love interest) is driving over a bridge, he swerves to avoid another car, breaks through the side of the bridge, flips the car over, and lands right on top of Pritchard (the villainous dean of the college) who is fishing in the lake below. There's a small chance they might have survived that but then the car explodes.
- Fratbro: The guys in their past, but Frank the Tank in particular was most prone to Wacky Fratboy Hijinx.
- Groin Attack: As part of their initiation, the frat pledges have to hold cinderblocks that are ostensibly tied to their penises, carry them over to the edge of a roof and then hurl them over the edge, trusting that the ropes are loose enough that this won't result in sudden castration. The point is to demonstrate trust, but this is lost on poor Weensie; the rope catches...
- Henpecked Husband: Frank's wife has forced him to give up drinking. Or tried to, anyway.
- Jerkass: Dean Pritchard.
- Loophole Abuse: Mitch's house is designated specifically for social services and community housing, so they start a fraternity open to anyone as there's no rule that the frat has to be associated with the school.
- Man Child: Frank, of course. And Beanie, who is still a party animal at heart, despite being married with a baby.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Dean Pritchard bribes the School Student President to revoke the fraternity (since she was the one who approved it) with admission to Columbia Law School. But happily broke it, and when she confront him on it, he tells her it's a free country and can do whatever he likes. Fortunately, she secretly recorded their conversation.
- Serious Business: Much to Mitch's chagrin, everyone takes the frat very seriously, calling him "The Godfather" and giving him preferential treatment.
- Spit Take: Mitch, when he finds out his boss's daughter Darcie is a high school graduate. Earlier, they were in bed.
- Streaking: After getting good and loaded, Frank decides to go for a run. Naked.
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: Naturally, this film includes them, including streaking and KY jelly wrestling
- Your Cheating Heart: The plot is kicked off by Mitch walking in on his girlfriend about to participate in a gang-bang.