Creator: Russell Crowe
"I think my reputation is something that I'll probably try to spend the rest of my life living it down and it probably won't work."Russell Ira Crowe (born April 7, 1964) is an Oscar-winning actor from New Zealand/Australia, although he frequently plays Fake Americans. Among his more famous starring roles were in Gladiator (as an Ancient Roman general/gladiator; Oscar winner), A Beautiful Mind (as a brilliant yet troubled mathematician; Oscar nominated), and The Insider (as a corporate whistleblower; Oscar nominated). As a musician he was formerly in the line up of a band called "30 Odd Foot of Grunts". He has been cast as Jor-El in Man of Steel, Zack Snyder's reboot of the Superman films, and as Javert in the film adaptation of the musical Les MisÚrables (2012).After several highly publicized fights he has gained a reputation for his temper. He once headbutted the actor Peter Cousens and threw a telephone at a hotel concierge. The American Secret Service protected Crowe for a time when Al Qaeda allegedly threatened his life as some sort of destabilization plan that involved eliminating iconic Americans (despite not being American...).He is also known for being sex personified.
—Crowe, interview with Steve Kroft for 60 Minutes
- Romper Stomper (1992)
- The Quick and the Dead (1995)
- Virtuosity (1995)
- L.A. Confidential (1997)
- The Insider (1999) [nominated for an Academy Award]
- Gladiator (2000) [won an Academy Award]
- A Beautiful Mind (2001) [nominated for an Academy Award]
- Master and Commander (2003)
- Cinderella Man (2005)
- Three Ten To Yuma (2007)
- American Gangster (2007)
- Body of Lies (2008)
- State of Play (2009)
- Robin Hood (2010)
- The Next Three Days (2010)
- The Man with the Iron Fists (2012)
- Les MisÚrables (2012)
- Broken City (2012)
- Man of Steel (2013)
- Winters Tale (2014)
- Noah (2014)
- The Water Diviner (2014) - also his directorial debut
Tropes associated with Crowe:
- Butt Monkey: His singing in Les MisÚrables (2012) has made him the butt of jokes from everyone from The Onion to co-star Sacha Baron Cohen at the Golden Globes (somewhat unfair, as Crowe threw himself into the role while Cogent and his onscreen wife were known on set for not having learnt their lines). The quality of his vocal performance is contested. Before that, his Hair-Trigger Temper served as the punchline for countless late-night comedians.
- Deadpan Snarker: His Twitter posts show him as a snarker. How deadpan he is remains a mystery.
- Fake American: Many of his famous roles.
- Fake Brit: A Good Year, Master and Commander, Robin Hood.
- Production Posse: Ever since Gladiator, he's been working with Ridley Scott in five movies so far.
- Promoted Fanboy: He once had a song entitled "I Just Want To Be Like Marlon Brando" and is now playing Brando's role as Jor-El in Man of Steel.
- Romance on the Set: He had an affair with Meg Ryan back in 2000 when they met working on a movie together. She was married to Dennis Quaid at the time.
- He also met his future wife, Danielle Spencer, while filming an Australian film entitled The Crossing. They only tied the knot in 2003.
- So My Kids Can Watch: In an interview, one of the reasons why Russell took the role of Jor-El in Man of Steel is that he wants his two sons to see him as a father figure in a movie catered to their age group.
- Those Two Actors: With Jennifer Connelly in three films (A Beautiful Mind, Winter's Tale and Noah)
- What Could Have Been: Was offered to take the role of Aragorn for Lord of the Rings but turned it down due to scheduling conflicts with A Beautiful Mind.
- He was also offered to play Wolverine for the first X-Men movie. But instead he offered it to his close friend, Hugh Jackman, who was not very well known at that time.
- Ridley Scott offered him to take the role of Sgt. Norm 'Hoot' Hooten in Black Hawk Down but it was turned down due to scheduling conflicts.