Romper Stomper is an interesting look at the skinhead culture of Australia. Hando and Davey are best friends, having a great time hanging with their Neo-Nazi pals and beating up on members of the local Vietnamese population. Things go awry when they meet Gabrielle, a junkie with a dark past. The woman drives a wedge between the two men that is only deepened when their gang dissolves, leading to a final confrontation.
Provides examples of:
- Bar Brawl: The skinheads corner a few Vietnamese boys in a bar and beat up on them, but one of them escapes and summons reinforcements. An entire factory of Vietnamese workers empties out and chases the skinheads across the city.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Davey gives this to the camera, in the form of a memorable Precision F-Strike, at the beginning of the movie.
- Comforting Comforter: A rare villainous example has Hando looking after his passed-out skinheads. This scene emphasizes the brotherhood of the skinheads and the difficulty that Davey will have turning his back on them.
- Fan Disservice
- Good People Have Good Sex: Gabrielle and Davey.
- Humiliation Conga: The skinheads undergo it, thinking that they're superior to the Vietnamese. Then they get chased across the city, several of them are killed, and the rest are arrested.
- Knife Nut: The skinheads are all very impressed by a genuine Hitler Youth knife.
- Love Triangle
- The Moral Substitute: The director wanted to show the skinheads listening to racist music, but he didn't want to give exposure and royalties to the real thing, so he hired politically acceptable local bands to create original racist rock to be played during the film. In this case it is the artists, rather than the art, who are the moral substitute.
- Rape as Backstory: Gabrielle was molested by her father, who still pursues her.
- Romance on the Set: Between the actors playing Davey and Gabrielle.
- Those Wacky Nazis: The skinhead gang is very explicitly of the Neo-Nazi persuasion. Davey and Gabrielle aren't as bad as the others, but they do nothing heroic.
- Zerg Rush: Just about every Vietnamese man in Footscray swarms the skinhead gang, overwhelming them and sending them scurrying across the entire city as they're picked off one by one.