Film: Romper Stomper
Romper Stomper is an interesting look at the skinhead culture of Australia. Hando and Davey are best friends, having a great time hanging with their Neo-Nazi pals and beating up on members of the local Vietnamese population. Things go awry when they meet Gabrielle, a junkie with a dark past. The woman drives a wedge between the two men that is only deepened when their gang dissolves, leading to a final confrontation.
Provides examples of:
- Bar Brawl: The skinheads corner a few Vietnamese boys in a bar and beat up on them, but one of them escapes and summons reinforcements. An entire factory of Vietnamese workers empties out and chases the skinheads across the city.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Davey gives this to the camera, in the form of a memorable Precision F-Strike, at the beginning of the movie.
- Comforting Comforter: A rare villainous example has Hando looking after his passed-out skinheads. This scene emphasizes the brotherhood of the skinheads and the difficulty that Davey will have turning his back on them.
- Fan Disservice
- Good People Have Good Sex: Gabrielle and Davey.
- Humiliation Conga: The skinheads undergo it, thinking that they're superior to the Vietnamese. Then they get chased across the city, several of them are killed, and the rest are arrested.
- Knife Nut: The skinheads are all very impressed by a genuine Hitler Youth knife.
- Love Triangle
- Rape as Backstory: Gabrielle was molested by her father, who still pursues her.
- Romance on the Set: Between the actors playing Davey and Gabrielle.
- Those Wacky Nazis: The skinhead gang is very explicitely of the Neo-Nazi Davey and Gabrielle aren't as bad as the others, but they do nothing heroic.
- Zerg Rush: Just about every Vietnamese man in Footscray swarms the skinhead gang, overwhelming them and sending them scurring across the entire city as they're picked off one by one.