A grand lady in red.Dame Helen Lydia Mirren
, DBE, (born 1945) is an Academy Award
-winning English actress.
She is known for, among other things, not being shy to shuck her clothes
. Like Kate Winslet
, she favors characters that are bold and ballsy - much like Mirren herself. Her most famous role to date is the Emmy award-winning DCI Jane Tennison in the long-running, critically acclaimed TV series Prime Suspect
She is also noted for her exquisite taste in clothes. Everyone forgets this for most of the year, so come awards season the media has a collective asthma attack at how gorgeous her dresses are. Then they do it all again the next year.
She is the only actress in history to have portrayed both Queens Elizabeth - Elizabeth I
in the miniseries Elizabeth I
and Elizabeth II
in The Queen
. She won an Emmy for the former and an Oscar
for the latter, surprising absolutely nobody.
She is one of the grandes dames of the English stage, alongside Judi Dench
, Maggie Smith
, and Emma Thompson
. Like many of her British cohorts, Mirren put in a stint at the Royal Shakespeare Company
She is of Russian descent; her grandfather was a Tsarist aristocrat who was stranded in London after the Bolshevik Revolution. Her birth name is Mironoff, which her father anglicised to Mirren in the 1950s. While she does not speak Russian, she is fluent in French.
She is perhaps the greatest example of Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have
known to man (although ironically she's never had any kids and has, by her own admission, no maternal instincts whatsoever). In 2010's Love Ranch
, she became the first major actress to appear nude on film in six different decades (and did a nude-in-the-bathtub photo shoot in New Yorker
magazine alongside the film. At age 65
Has been married to American director Taylor Hackford since 1997.
Her more important films include:
Tropes associated with Helen Mirren:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: She loved working on Red so much, thanks to the action-heavy role they gave her, that she's said "I'm there!" to any planned sequel (and indeed she did return for Red 2).
- Cool Old Lady: At 67, she recently decided, on a whim, to dye her hair pink, after seeing a contestant on America's Next Top Model with it.
- Dirty Old Woman: And she's awesome at it. Listen to the quick little dirty joke she said here.
- Gender Flip: In Arthur (2011) and The Tempest (2010). Remarkably and coincidentally both roles were previously played by the same man, John Gielgud. Also remarkably and coincidentally, both films costar Russell Brand.
- Ms. Fanservice: Starting with her first film, Age of Consent, in which she's naked a whole bunch. Continued to be this trope in many more films. She once said she's "known for getting my kit off."
- Non-Singing Voice: In The Prince of Egypt, suggesting that there are some things even she won't do in movies.
- Old Shame: Averted - seemingly born with none. She isn't even ashamed of Caligula.
- Silver Fox: She just doesn't look right when her hair ISN'T silver colored...