Film / Teaching Mrs. Tingle
A 1999 film in which a poor girl's college stipend depends on her acing a history test in the class taught by the vile
Mrs Tingle. Due to her friend's stupidity, she is caught cheating. The same friend happens to have brought a crossbow to school, and in order for her to still pass the test, she and the friend and another friend kidnap Mrs Tingle, then torture and try to murder her.
Due to recent events
before the movie came out, its title was changed from the original "Killing Mrs. Tingle" to the above. This really doesn't do anything to make matters any better. Written and directed by Kevin Williamson
, and understandably his only turn in the director's chair to date.
- Artistic License – History: The fake diary that the main character worked on for several months mentions witch burnings in Salem. Not a single witch was burned during the Salem Witch Trials, they were for the most part hung with the only exception being Giles Corey, who was crushed to death with rocks. What makes it worse is that the audience is supposed to see Mrs. Tingle as a horrid person for only giving the main character a C for something she worked so hard on, but considering she made such a big and easily rectified mistake, the whole film falls apart. Really, a "C" grade was generous.
- Bound and Gagged: The method of restraining Mrs. Tingle.
- Chekhov's Skill: The book stopping a crossbow bolt, thereby stopping someone from being killed.
- Coitus Ensues: Leigh Anne and Luke have sex on Mrs. Tingle's couch.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- The kids go way over the line to try making Mrs. Tingle do what they want.
- Mrs Tingle's reason for hurting Leigh Ann is just as petty, she never left town when she had the chance and decided to take anyone with the same potential down with her.
- When one considers Tingle never believed Leigh Ann was a cheater in the first place and just used it as an excuse to fail her, it's even more petty.
- It Works Better with Bullets: Tingle confidently points out to Jo Lynn that she won't shoot her with the crossbow, when Jo Lynn retorts "No?", Tingle shows the bolt in her hand.
- Sadist Teacher: Deserved or not, Mrs Tingle still gives Leigh Ann a C based solely on her own personal bitterness, rather than because the report was wrong.
- Wrote the Book: Mrs. Tingle, in the middle of a rant, claims that she wrote the book on Leigh Ann's situation.