The Snow Queen
(1995) is a 1995 Animated Adaptation
of The Snow Queen
made by Martin's Gate.
The evil Snow Queen plans to use a magic mirror to plunge the world into eternal winter, so she can take over the world. When the mirror shatters and pieces enters the young Tom's body, she kidnaps him to have all the pieces. Tom's sister Ellie and her friend, Peeps the sparrow, set out to rescue him before it is too late.
In 1996 it got a sequel, The Snow Queen's Revenge
. Seeking revenge for her defeat, the Snow Queen captures Dimley, dares Ellie to rescue him, and plans to create an Iceosaurus to freeze the world.
Not to be confused with The Snow Queen (1957)
, The Snow Queen 1977
, The Snow Queen
anime, or The Snow Queen (2012)
This movie contains examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: Gerda and Kai become Ellie and Tom.
- Adaptational Villainy: The Snow Queen was an ambiguous figure in the book; here she's an all-out villain.
- Advertised Extra: For the first movie, Dimly is on many of the posters and box art despite only appearing in the last half hour. He's a more prominent character in the sequel.
- All Myths Are True: The story of the Snow Queen is very real, as Ellie and Tom discover.
- Animation Bump: Scenes with the Snow Queen tend to be better-animated than the others.
- Animesque: The Snow Queen's general design, in contrast with the cartoony animals, trolls and humans.
- Anti-Villain: The trolls in the second movie, where they're forced to do the Snow Queen's bidding.
- Chekhov's Volcano: In the sequel, the Snow Queen's palace is on the edge of a frozen volcano. At the end it erupts, trapping her in lava.
- Cool Airship: The trolls' flying machine is a giant dirigible.
- Crazy-Prepared: The Snow Queen has a South Pole palace for when summer arrives in the North.
- Denser and Wackier: The first movie was an abridged adaptation of the fairy tale with a couple songs. The second was an original, cartoony story with many songs.
- The End... Or Is It?: Both movies end with this.
- Endless Winter: This is the Snow Queen's ultimate goal.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: The Iceosaurus, an ice pterodactyl.
- Eye Beams: These are one of the Snow Queen's powers.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The Snow Queen gets these at the end to show she's still alive.
- I Have Your Wife: In the sequel, the Snow Queen kidnaps Dimly to force Ellie to go to her castle. A similar thing happened in the first movie, but there it wasn't intentional.
- Implacable Man: The Snow Queen survives being frozen solid and being imprisoned in lava.
- Jump Scare: In the first movie, after the Snow Queen is frozen solid there's a very fast cut to her glowing eyes, along with a Scare Chord.
- Kick the Dog: After the mirror shard turns Tom evil, the first thing he does is try to crush Peeps under his boot—right after he had fed him.
- The Snow Queen starts strangling one of her bats after she finds two mirror pieces were uncollected.
- Large Ham: The Snow Queen and Peeps.
- Larynx Dissonance: Peeps looks very cute and young and sounds like an older man.
- Life Drinker: The witch plans to use Ellie's heart as a means for eternal youth.
- Magic Mirror: The Snow Queen plans to use this to freeze the entire world.
- Magical Native American: Freda, especially in the first movie.
- Minion with an F in Evil: The Snow Queen's troll minions bungle her scheme in the beginning, and aren't effective afterward. They gradually turn good as the movie goes on as they can't bear to think of the Snow Queen killing a young boy.
- The Musical: Both movies have songs in them.
- Never Say "Die": Averted. The Snow Queen and the witch openly plan to kill Ellie.
- The Obi-Wan: Freda, a Lapp sorceress and owner of a flying reindeer school.
- Brenda the Wollybird is this in the sequel.
- Pig Man: The sequel has a restaurant staffed by humanoid pigs who want to eat Brenda.
- Put on a Bus: Tom is resting at home for the entirety of the second movie.
- Revenge of the Sequel
- Scenery Gorn: Seen when the volcano erupts in the second movie as the palace crumbles.
- Scenery Porn: The painted backgrounds are very pretty.
- Shapeshifter: The Snow Queen's bats can turn into reindeer, and vice versa.
- Storyboarding the Apocalypse: In the Snow Queen's villain song in the sequel, there are shots of the world freezing over.
- Take Over the World: This is the Snow Queen's goal.
- Talking Animal: Peeps, Dimly, and Brenda.
- Team Pet: Peeps the sparrow and Dimly the reindeer. The sequel adds Brenda the bird.
- Villain Song: The Snow Queen gets one in the sequel.
- Volcano Lair: In the sequel, the Snow Queen's palace is on the edge of a frozen volcano.
- Winter Royal Lady: The Snow Queen wears a fur cape.
- Would Hurt a Child: The Snow Queen openly plans to kill Ellie and Tom, and the witch tries to kill Ellie and retrieve her heart.