"Now was that funny or just disgusting? I don't know, I'm asking."
— Dog, Oh Yeah! Cartoons
Animated show that relies heavily on ugly animation, displeasing concepts
and extreme close-ups
of things such as hairy, warty green tongues, stink-line-laden sewage sandwiches, and toilets that haven't been cleaned in a long time
Pioneered by John Kricfalusi
with The Ren & Stimpy Show
, this type of show dominated children's animation in the late 1990s. The animation house Klasky-Csupo and the studio Spumco specialized in animation of this style. Many of these clones failed to realize, however, that the success of Ren and Stimpy was also due to excellent writing, not just to the presence of icky, stinky things
. However, most of these clones would eventually develop their own loyal followings thanks to their other unique concepts.
Anime and Manga
- Ippatsu Kikimusume, aka Miss Crisis Moment, is this trope in four-minute chunks. Kunyan survives each life-threatening situation by executing a preposterous escape plan that Crosses the Line Twice, often to the point of horror. If you watch this, you will be grossed out. You will also learn physics. (Check one out on YouTube if you dare...)
- Kyoufu no Kyochan, a parody of "Obake no Q-taro" written by the comedian Hitoshi Matsumoto, the series is about a kid and his ugly critter (with a strange likeness with Butthead). You better not hurt the kid or Kyochan will grow arms on his head and feet on his mouth to rip off your guts ! Episode 1
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt features monsters themed around poop, vomit, boogers, breast milk, and semen.
- Volume 5 of Tactics.
- Earlier volumes of Pocket Monsters relied on this trope. The series has since lessened though, just becoming a Widget Series.
- There's a... charming series of shorts in Japan known "Burutabu-chan" AKA "Poop Genie". It's about, well, just read the title. Or watch it.
- Crayon Shin Chan
- Hen Zemi manages to do this while keeping most everyone and everything as Puni Plush as humanly possible; it's the things they talk about that make the viewer want to retch...
- Many of the comic strips featured in Mad Magazine.
- Like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO96uMTxGes
- Probably the most infamous of these was 'The Zit'. Drawn by Tom Bunk (go figure), it resulted in a lot of letters to the editor's desk.
- Its carried over to the cartoon version too.
- John Waters in the 1970's is practically the Trope Codifier. Desperate Living bragged about this review from Rex Reed: "Where do these people come from? Where do they go when the sun comes down?"
- Pink Flamingos are two groups of people striving to be the filthiest in the world. Enough said. Then there's Female Trouble and the aforementioned Desperate Living.
- The Vomit Gore Trilogy. To quote one review:
"Even hardcore horror fans might be inclined to take a break from their hobbies after watching a girl abused, vomited on, a spider sewn into her vagina, decapitated, then her hollow head used as a vomit glass. Other pleasantries included here are ejaculation of blood, an endless disemboweling, and siamese twins cut apart with a saw."
- Hanger, where almost all the characters look deformed, and there's things like profuse lactation, a coat hanger abortion, puppies microwaved and eaten, rape through a colostomy bag hole, tea made from used tampons, a dirty diaper fight, torture via unwashed vagina, force feeding of feces, and a penis roasting.
- Year One. A movie about two cavemen who randomly stumble into the Bible stories, but with numerous disgusting scenes, such as Jack Black eating poop, and Michael Cera peeing all over his face.
- Freddy Got Fingered.
- American Pie does this from time to time, mainly with any scene involving Stifler. In the first movie, he drinks a glass of beer with cum in it. In the second one, he gets peed on. In the third one, he eats dog shit.
- Land of the Lost, more specifically its 2009 The Film of the Series incarnation. Rather than being a kid's show as it's source was, the film opted to go for a much more "adult" audience with sexual humor throughout. Described by Will Ferrell himself as being more of a parody of the original than an actual remake.
- More or less the whole ouvre of John Waters.
- Shark Tale
- The Trumpet Of The Swan
- The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
- Flubber has the scene where the Flubber is eaten, and comes out the back end.
- Inspector Gadget
- The Hot Chick and at an even lesser extent The Benchwarmers
- 50 First Dates
- The Sitter
- The Video Nasty genre.
- The Slasher Movie genre.
- Too many Arthouse films to count (Mostly Euroshlock films).
- There is a very obscure and low budget movie called Gross Out that was so offensive, The Cinema Snob broke character and actually admitted that his viewers shouldn't watch the review. Of course, that just made people want to watch it even more.
- Jackass...the Omelette, anyone?
- Silent Library
- Fear Factor, despite its name, is best known for having contestants eat things like live insects.
- Im A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here was a Reality Show crossed with this.
- Kenny Vs Spenny rarely avoids this trope, particularly in the humiliation round.
- Laura en América: one episode of this show is infamous for this. Its name was "Lo haría todo por dinero" ("I'd do anything for the money"). People from the public was challenged to do the most disgusting things for money. Among the challenges there were: to stay naked in a bathtub with frogs (US$ 30), eat a whole habanero-like fruit (US$20), to kiss an unknown person (US$ 30), dress up like a baby and crawl (US$ 20). The most memorable part? Lick the armpits and feet of a bodybuilder who had not taken a shower in 48 hours.
- Dick And Dom In Da Bungalow nearly got banned for being so gross.
- Wonder Showzen.
- Dirty Jobs, at times.
- Tim And Eric Awesome Show Great Job is what you get when you make a reduction of Grossout Show and cannabis. The 11-minute pan sauce that remains is...unique.
- Kids' show Round the Twist almost got banned for this, including ''inappropriate' material such as death, nudity (including references to genitalia), underwear, incest (Kissing Under the Influence), mild sex references, and relying on your typical gross-out humor staples.
- Double Dare, a game show built around getting Covered in Gunge.
- About the only example of a Tabletop RPG in this genre: Low Life, where among the playable races there are worms, roaches and walking piles of poo.
- FATAL most certainly falls under this category, intentionally or not. In no other Tabletop RPG will you have a need to calculate oriface sizes. Or has detailed rules for rape.
- Wario Land 4.
- Postal 2 features plenty of pissing and vomiting. Three objectives actually require the player character to urinate.
- Limbo of the Lost. It's very surprising to find such a macabre game that, in only its first half-hour of gameplay, throws worms pulled out of ears and snot at you as integral parts of puzzle solving.
- Stupid Invaders, the gross moments are even nastier than the source material, Space Goofs
- The Binding of Isaac is very generous with this when not making Biblical references — giant mounds of poop are a common obstacle, there's a boss called Peep who spreads toxic urine everywhere, and pretty much anything involving Isaac's abusive mother is given a Gross-Up Close-Up.
- Earthworm Jim. For starters, some of the levels are made out of snot and intestine.
- Yoshis Island does this for the frog boss. The rest of the game isn't gross though.
- House of the Dead: Overkill has Varla Guns having her brain replaced with the brain of Clement's mother, causing her to vomit and then mutate into a giant, disgusting creature. After defeating her, Clement climbs inside her vagina and back into the womb (thankfully we don't see it). And then in the PS3-exclusive chapters, we have the boss of the strip club chapter, and the skinless zombies in the slaughterhouse chapter.
- Conkers Bad Fur Day has a level where you have to go into a poop factory, then go to a nearby farm where you have to prune three cows, so the factory will be filled with their diarrhea. Your next mission involves you rolling a ball of dung up a mountain made of dung, so you can break open an entrance to the boss (who is a singing pile of shit).
- Gobtron. You play as a huge pink monster whose weapons are his snot, spit, burps and farts. The "level select" screen shows an intestine with cysts as the upgrades section.