(or Home To Rent
to you Brits, Les Zinzins de l'espace
in French) is a French animated series produced by Gaumont Film Company, Gunther-Waul Productions and Xilam for France 3 that first aired in 1997. It tells the story of five aliens, the intelligent Etno, couch potato Bud, clean freak Candy, gluttonous Gorgious and two-headed Stereo, who have crashed on Earth and have taken residence in the attic of an old house. Their main tasks are to chase away anybody who takes residence in the old house and try to get back home. Most might remember this played on Fox Kids
during their final years.Stupid Invaders
, a video game based on the series was released a few years after the show itself ended.
This series provides examples of:
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: After eating too many sweets, Gorgious has a nightmare where he gambles for his teeth.
- Aliens Speaking English
- Ambiguously Gay: Candy.
- Animesque: Parodied in the episode "Manga Mania".
- Art Evolution: between the first season in 1997 and the second in 2005, the increase in quality is really obvious.
- Big Eater / Extreme Omnivore: Gorgious
- Bungling Inventor: Etno's spaceships have a tendency to explode.
- Butt Monkey:Poor Candy!
- The Cameo: In the episode where Etno becomes a Phony Psychic, the antagonists from the video game make an appearance in the line to get their reading.
- Character Exaggeration: In the video game, Candy goes from crossdressing to actually wanting a sex change operation.
- Deranged Animation: And that's putting it lightly.
- The Ditz: Bud
- Don't Try This at Home: In the Christmas Episode, the aliens are trying to drive Santa Claus away. He tries to slide down the chimney but they light explosives under him. Before they do, they all (including Santa) urge the viewer not to try this at home.
- Expy: Bud's design is an obvious rip-off of Ren Hoek.
- Fat Bastard: Gorgious
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Literally
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Maurice La Marche, Charlie Adler and Jeff Bennett
- The guy singing the theme? Iggy freaking Pop.
- Humans Are Bastards: Just about every human that comes to the house is either stupid, a jerk or both. Not that the aliens are much better.
- Jerkass: Gorgious
- Little Green Men: Candy
- Man Child: Bud
- Market-Based Title: The 1997 season was retitled Home to Rent in the UK. When the show was revived and aired on Nicktoons they retained the original title.
- Multiple Head Case: Stereo
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: A bat talks like Christopher Walken.
- Obsessed with Food: Gorgious
- Only Sane Man: Etno
- Put on a Bus: Stereo in the second season, though he came back in 2 episodes.
- The Smart Guy: Etno
- She's a Man in Japan: In the Latin American dub Candy is female.
- Shout Out: In "Manga Mania" when an obnoxious manga character moves in and refuses to leave they disguise themselves as European comic book characters to scare him off. Specifically The Adventures of Tintin, Obelix, Lucky Luke and a Smurf.
- Sphere Eyes
- Springtime for Hitler: The aliens try making the house look as much a dump as possible to dissuade people from moving in. A farmer and his animals then take interest.
- Team Mom and Team Dad: Candy and Etno, respectively.
- Teens Are Monsters: In one episode, Bud befriends a rather obnoxious human teenager.
- Theme Tune Extended: There's an extended version of the Iggy Pop theme song (which is called "Monster Men", by the way) that runs just under four minutes.
- They Look Like Us Now: The gang have a machine that makes them look like humans, Earth animals, or even inanimate objects.
- The Renaissance Age of Animation
- What Could Have Been: There was going to be a CG animated movie, but after one teaser trailer nothing else has been heard about it.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Most of Candy's diguises are women.
- Vulgar Humor: The video game adaptation Stupid Invaders features adult humor with strong language and a lot of gross moments.
- You Can't Go Home Again