and Walking Shirtless Scene
, two tropes that both represent the paragon of manliness
. It might seem like the two are fundamentally
incapable of being combined
, but they can, as these brave men (and braver women
) will show us below.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Kamina does it with a Badass Cape, but the thought is the same. Simon as well, with an actual coat.
- Kokojo in Duel Masters. The dub mentions that because he didn't wear a shirt he got a pretty nasty sunburn. "So always wear a shirt! It's just good sense!"
- One Piece: Captain Smoker, though not really a longcoat, it's the same aesthetic.
- Not just Smoker. Eustass Kid, X. Drake, Blackbeard, Mihawk... This is actually pretty common.
- There's even a woman, Rindo of the Kuja Pirates, who adopts a look like this.
- Luffy himself borders on this after the timeskip.
- Law dons this outfit while trying to be incognito within Dressrosa. What's odd is that he has a huge chest tattoo which is obviously styled after his Jolly Roger/crew name.
- Hellsing has the Captain, though he ditches the coat as well, eventually.
- In Tokko there is Suzuka Kureha, who is an odd female example.
- Ling from Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Alphard from Canaan. Also, she's a girl, yet this manages not to feel like Absolute Cleavage.
- Naruto: Anko is another female with a rather Stripperiffic design. She's also manlier than most of the men in the show. Hidan also wears one, as does A, the Fourth Raikage.
- Jack Rakan from Mahou Sensei Negima!.
- Masami Eiri in Serial Experiments Lain. With what appears to be a labcoat, no less.
- Harry Tribeca of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid is another female example. She has a Sarashi for the breasts.
- Kuwabara of YuYu Hakusho wears this during the Dark Tournament.
- The title character of Black★Rock Shooter. With a black bra to cover up her breasts.
- Blair from Soul Eater becomes this once she gets turned into a guy.
- Awaki Musujime from A Certain Magical Index is another girl who dresses like this, using Sarashi for her breasts. She actually takes it a step further and wears the coat as a Coat Cape.
- This is how Kill la Kill's Aikuro Mikisugi goes about wearing labcoats. However, unlike other examples, pants are also absent from the ensemble, as is underwear.
- Uzu Sanageyama neglects to wear a shirt under his longcoat during his rematch with Ryuko, to show off his bandaged torso.
- Spider Jerusalem in Transmetropolitan. When he starts wearing shirts it's a symbolic plot point to play up his declining health and greater sense of physical vulnerability.
- Hellboy wears a trench coat and shorts, no shirt.
- In the Sin City story The Big Fat Kill, the main character Dwight starts the story in the buff since he's over at his girlfriend's house where they are post-coital. Her ex-boyfriend comes over to start trouble and he has enough time to pull on a pair of pants and throw on his long coat but does not wear a shirt under it Since the entire story takes place over the course of a single night, he has this look throughout the miniseries.
- The film version averts this since he starts the story wearing a pair of pants so he has less clothes to put on when Shelly's ex-boyfriend pops in. He ends up wearing a shirt under his long coat.
- Daimon Hellstrom of Marvel Comics - at least in Journey into Mystery, where his constant shirtlessness is a Running Gag. It does allow us to see the giant pentagram birthmark on his chest.
- Hellboy again, moreso in The Golden Army than in the first film.
- Viktor in Underworld after regaining his strength but before setting out for the raid.
- Marcus Corvinus and Andreas Tanis in the sequel. Subverted in the latter case, as Tanis is far from a Bad Ass (he can't his Selene from 15 feet away).
- At one point in Clive Barker's 1988 novella Cabal (adapted into the 1990 horror film Nightbreed), Boone takes off his dirty white shirt to feel his beloved leather jacket on his skin.
Live Action TV
- The male cast members of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia frequently insist that this is the proper way to wear The Duster.
- A December 1973 telecast of Match Game '73 had McLean Stevenson at the celebrity introduction opening with no shirt or jacket on whatsoever—just a tie-around bow tie, much to the audience's hilarity. Host Gene Rayburn was completely dumbfounded, and called for wardrobe to fetch out a jacket for McLean to wear for the show.
- Lady Gaga in the video for "Alejandro", along with shades at night, white hair, a leather jacket and of course, panties, while singing in front of a cross, yeah, she hit everything for that one.
- Joe Perry, the lead guitarist for Aerosmith, frequently pulled this off on stage in the past. Now, not so much, but you can still occasionally catch him sporting this look.
- Seal in the video for "Crazy".
- Both Jimmy Page and Robert Plant did this a lot on stage in their Led Zeppelin days.
- Edge till retirement
- John Morrison, and the coat is fur too.
- Matt Hardy starting 2009.
- Wade Barrett, before his Nexus days, would come to the ring wearing a long black coat with an English rose on the lapel, It disappeared after the formation of The Nexus, But the coat made a comeback after his return from an arm injury in 2012.
- Even The Undertaker has been in it before.
- The Miz has worn one to the ring ever since his WWE Title win in 2010.