Goodnight, Lutessa Lena Luthor. You died as you lived: in a dumb Inspector Gadget coat.
Sometimes just wearing longcoat isn't quite enough to look badass
. It can be because the longcoat in question is old, battered, two sizes bigger than needed or it can be because the character himself is lame or just acts as one
Extremely associated with police detectives, FBI and inspectors. In fact association with the latter is so strong, you will have trouble finding a character named "inspector" without a Not So Badass Longcoat
of his own.
Anime and Manga
- Gareth from One Piece: Parallel Works wears a long, green coat that doesn't really serve any purpose in the story or his character development.
- The Pink Panther's Inspector Clouseau.
- In How to Train Your Dragon, Hiccup's coat/vest looks long enough to be a longcoat, but it more serves the purpose of making him look smaller than look badass.
- Deckard from Blade Runner, despite having a lot of the typical traits of a classic Noir detective, is decidedly not badass, despite his longcoat. His sole two kills in the movie are women, both of which he shoots in the back. The male replicants he pursues kick his ass up and down the field, and he's very narrowly saved from death both times (once by Rachel blasting Leon in the back, and the other time by Roy showing him mercy).
- Collins' coat in RENT is pretty beat up, with the sleeve hanging off.