Alright meatmaggots, LET'S GET STUPID LOUD!*SHH!*
Urhm, sorry... I mean, describe Secret Mountain Fort Awesome
The brainchild of cartoonist & animator Pete Browngardt (whose previous credits include Futurama
and Adventure Time
) and broadcast on Cartoon Network, this short-lived toon covers the misadventures of five monsters - known collectively as Disgustoids - who live in an underground mountain (the titular fort of the series) and generally cause mischief either among themselves or with the people on the surface world while trying to fit in with them. To put it lightly, HILARITY ENSUES!
Said monsters are:
- Festro: The de facto leader of the bunch, a purple monster with giant fangs who only wears underwear.
- Fart: The only sensible monster of the bunch. He also happens to be made entirely out of butts.
- Dingle: The blue monster who acts mostly like a dog and speaks in gibberish.
- Slog: The hairy monster with a big nose.
- and Gweelok: A monster who looks like a giant puss ball.
The show takes it's humour and art style from Pete Browngardt's Uncle Grandpa
pilot for Cartoonstitute. Unfortunately, its' rowdy, over-the-top humour
struggled to find an audience and plans for a second season (which was already in production) were scrapped, with only half of the first series actually broadcast. Browngardt has since admitted the show was the result of Executive Meddling
: following the network's plan to age up their programming from TV-Y7 to TV-PG, the bigwigs at CN saw potential in the monster characters - some of them early prototypes of the Disgustoids - from Uncle Grandpa
and approached Browngardt to develop a series about them. Needless to say, they were baffled with the finished product
and immediately declared it a flop.
For all the collective venom being spewed at this show, it's worth pointing out that it went on to pick up several awards (more so in such a short amount of time than the network's flagship shows Adventure Time
and Regular Show
ever achieved), and eventually led to Browngardt getting his original Uncle Grandpa
concept off the ground and onto our TV screens.
The show was seen in the 2012 reboot of Cartoon Planet
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome contains the following tropes:
- 419 Scam: In the episode "The 6th Disgustoid" Gweelok fell for this trick reading an e-mail from a scammer claiming to be the prince of some foreign country. The scammer's identity is revealed to be Bromanor.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: The third episode has the group making a bet with Gweelok that he can't use the internet for 24 Hours. Not surprisingly they try to tempt him to use it.
- Deranged Animation: Though considering Cartoon Network's recent efforts, this shouldn't come as a surprise.
- Five-Man Band
- Hair as Ears: Dingle has hair that looks like dog ears.
- Gross Out Show: Taken Up to Eleven
- Actually subverted, the designs of the show seem to be this but otherwise it's surprisingly tame and focuses more on the humor of the characters rather then obligatory Gross-Up Close-Ups.
- Fantastic Racism: Most of the humans in the show treat the Disgustoids like second class citizens, which justifies the show's main conflict.
- Gag Series
- Grotesque Gallery: The Disgustoids, naturally. Even the designs for most of the humans qualify as well.
- The Hedonist: All five Disgustoids have traits of this, though Festro is easily the much hedonistic of the bunch.
- Killer Rabbit: The adorable (and huge) kitten in the second episode Fart falls for its cuteness and gets eaten but explodes it from the inside with his farts.
- Infinity Plus One Television: The Megavision television was said to get Infinity Plus One channels.
- Insane Troll Logic: Somehow eating sandwiches with 4 year old mayo allows you to travel through time.
- Medium Blending: This show mixes hand-drawn and cut-out animation styles.
- Only Sane Man: Fart.
- Our Monsters Are Weird
- Paper-Thin Disguise: In the first episode, the Disgustoids put mustaches on their faces, which make them look like real life humans (emphasis on real life)
- Shout-Out: The short Peace on Earth in the episode "7,002".
- Also there's a huge scene in "President the Fart" that is based off the Rainbow Road in Mario Kart. Dingle even plays a similar role of Lakitu when Festro falls off.
- "Broken Chair" has a part where Dingle has his own band. They play a song that sounds similar to Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Dingle then holds a bat and appears to be fixing to bite its head off then he kisses it instead.
- Title-Only Opening: Done in the hammiest way possible!
- The Unintelligible: Dingle, yet the other monsters can understand him.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Festro apparently has a crippling fear of mom jeans, which the other Disgustoids help him conquer.
- X Meets Y: X-Men meets Garbage Pail Kids with a side order of MAD and Monty Python's Flying Circus.