Western Animation: Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur
The sixteenth Scooby-Doo Direct to Video film. With Dinosaurs!When it is discovered that Shaggy has a condition that causes a Heroic BSOD with every scare, the gang decides to take him somewhere relaxing, La Serena Spa, the least haunted town on Earth. Of course, it would be boring if nothing happened but relaxation, so a giant ghost dinosaur is thrown in to shake things up. This strikes Shaggy into one of his break downs, so Mr. Hubbley, the owner of the spa, decides to take matters into his own hands with a little bit of hypnotism. Every time Shaggy hears the keyword, he is filled with uncontrollable bravery. The only problem is, Mr. Hubbley forgets the keyword. And to make matters worse, Shaggy accidentally hears it and goes all out on a biker gang at a G-Rated Pub, and agrees to race their leader on a motorcycle down Dead Man's Curve while he's brave.A very well put together Scooby-Doo film. Every member of the gang has some sort of significance to the plot; none of them are just there to be there. It most likely follows Camp Scare in its differences to the usual Scooby-Doo plot, which is a good thing. Watch to find out how everything unravels.
This film provides examples of the following Tropes:
- Artistic License – Paleontology: Horned Velociraptors with scaly skin.
- Badass Bookworm: As it turns out, Winsor's computer animation classes came in handy when it came to creating the Phantosaur.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Like the two before it, this movie is very lampshade heavy and full of gags while still playing the Scooby Doo formula and characters straight and keeping them fresh, making it (and the other movies) a kind of Reconstruction.
- Big Damn Movie: This movie definitely qualifies.
- Big Eater: Shaggy and Scooby as usual.
- Biker Babe: Daphne.
- Black Bead Eyes: Everybody. At one point, Velma says that she thinks Winsor's eyes are the color of sea foam green by moonlight. Cue a picture of Winsor on Velma's phone with black eyes.
- Blondes Are Evil: Professor Svankmajer.
- Also one of the first two unimportant people that were caught before the Fiery Phantosaur showed up.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mr. Hubley.
- The Comically Serious: Shaggy whenever he's in Badass mode.
- Completely Missing the Point: The doctor forbids Shaggy to get into the Mystery Machine. So what does Fred do? He paints over the letters to create the mustard machine.
- Conspicuous CGI: Subverted. This movie actually uses its CGI very well. Especially when compared to the other Direct to Video films.
- Continuity Nod: Freddy's Jerk Ass GPS returns from Abracadabra Doo. This time he gets them to where they want to go without nearly getting them killed, but
- Covers Always Lie: I didn't know the Phantosaur drooled green... Or is that...? Ew!
- Deadpan Snarker: Daphne, somewhat surprisingly. Velma in some moments, though she spends a lot of the movie too lovestruck to make quips.
- Deranged Animation: When Scooby gets hyper from drinking coffee.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: The Fiery Phantosaur. Also, the velociraptors have horns.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Fanservice Cover: On the La Serena Spa pamphlet.
- Fish Eyes: Shakey Joe.
- Foreshadowing: When Velma's on her date with Winsor, he really doesn't want to talk about the Phantosaur attacks.
- Funny Background Event: Scooby provides these as usual. The bit where he gets hyped up on coffee even drags the rest of the gang into it.
- In a particularly funny case, Fred and Daphne are in the foreground trying to figure out what to do next, not realizing that they keep saying the codeword that switches Shaggy into "brave mode." Meanwhile, Scooby tries to figure out what the word is from what they're saying by repeating the words they say (with Fred and Daphne occasionally thinking he's responding to them), and manages to guess every word except for the right one.
- Geeky Turn-On: Velma and Winsor.
- Heroic BSOD: Every time Shaggy gets scared.
- Heroism Incentive: Scooby Snacks yet again. Scooby actually uses one to wake Shaggy from his coma via aroma therapy.
- Hollywood Nerd: Winsor.
- Hot Scientist: Professor Svankmajer.
- Hypno Pendulum: Mr. Hubley's equipment is much different than swinging a pocket watch in front of your face. The word that Shaggy needs to hear to turn into a serious badass happens to be "bad", but Scooby never realizes this until later.
- Improbable Age: While it's quickly pointed out that it was photoshopped, for Scooby's Rescue Dog card to have been issued in 1969 as it claimed, Scooby would have to be at least 42 years old, which has never even come close to being reached by a Great Dane.
- Klatchian Coffee
- Large Ham: Brave! Shaggy, as lampshaded by Fred."Is that part of the 'brave' thing? That you say weird stuff that sounds like movie lines?"
- Lampshade Hanging: This film is very lampshade heavy even as it simultaneously plays things completely straight, resulting in a lot of funny lines of dialogue. In addition to others already pointed out on this page, there's this:Freddy: "I think we may have this one wrapped up!"Daphne: " Not yet. You still haven't caught anyone in a net."Freddy: "True."
"Can you shut him up? I'm trying to confess over here!"
- Also, the bit lampshading the villains' habit of confessing after being caught.
- Love at First Sight: Velma and Winsor fall head over heels pretty much the moment they lay eyes on each other, especially Velma. Winsor at least needed a short conversation before it really kicked in.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: Shaggy as usual.Shaggy: I think I'm going to, like, like this place.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Very much with Velma - it gets to the point where she can't even form full sentences once she sees Winsor. Hilarity ensues.
- My Instincts Are Showing: Scooby-Doo finds a dinosaur bone, which just so happens to be extremely rare. After Professor Svankmajer thanks him for it, he just buries it again.
- Nerds Are Sexy: One can say this about Professor Svankmajer. Scoobypedia actually describes her word for word "She has long flowing hair and is good looking."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Daphne turns the paint-stripper back on, and forgets to turn it off, causing the mines to explode and trapping everyone underground.
- Let's not forget the ending, where Shaggy has his hypnosis undone, only for everyone else in the gang to believe they're Shaggy, too. Even Scooby.
- Also the instance where Scooby-Doo finds a rare dinosuar bone, and Svankmajor and Winsor are going crazy about it. Once they move on, Scooby buries it again.
- Out of Character: Velma, after falling in love with Winsor. She initially had no interest in solving the mystery. But she's more or less back in character when she learned of Winsor's involvement.
- Playing with Fire
- Police Are Useless: The cops that show up when the Fiery Phantosaur attacks town aren't much of a help.
- Of course, as usual, they show up at the end to cart Professor Svankmajer and Winsor to prison.
- Raptor Attack: God knows why they decided to add horns to an already inaccurate Velociraptor.
- Recognition Failure: In a way. Mr. Hubley never gets Shaggy's name right.
- The Reveal: This movie actually does it a little differently.
- Rule of Cool: Shaggy. When he's brave, at least.
- Running Gag: Scooby spends the entire movie guessing random words to find Shaggy's codeword, usually way off base. When he finally does figure it out, nobody can understand what he's saying.
- Scooby-Doo Hoax
Mr. Hubley: Waddya gonna do? Dress up as some monster and scare everyone away?
- Mr. Hubley lampshades the basic formula when he's talking about how he couldn't get more land to make the spa bigger.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Massospondylus and Appalachiasaurus are mentioned.
- Shout-Out: At one point, Shaggy refers to his brave side as the other guy.
- Shown Their Work: Fred points out the fact that hypnosis cannot make a person do something they normally wouldn't.
- Slippery Skid: Done to the raptors with a jar of marbles.
- Stern Teacher: Fred's teacher says that since he helped recover the greatest dinosaur find in history, he'll bump his grade up to a C-.
- Toilet Humor:Shaggy: And there goes the bladder.
- Took a Level in Badass: Shaggy, to the extreme. Of course, this is hypnosis-influenced badassery we're talking about.
- He actually does have a moment of his own near the end.
- Walk Into Camera Obstruction: With Scooby and a ghost elephant during the opening credits when the gang is being chased by ghost animals.
- Wham Line: Played with. When Shaggy is turned back into his regular self, he tells Fred that if he's going to jump to the ledge, he needs a movie line to say before he does it. They eventually end up with "When you say jump, I say 'How high?' ".
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: The mine snakes affected Velma the most.
Alternative Title(s):Scooby Doo Legend Of The Phantosaur
Scooby-Doo: Camp Scare WesternAnimation/Scooby-Doo Direct-to-Video Film Series Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire