I see them shiver with antici...
Just as Tropes Are Not Bad
, neither are memes per se
. True, they get old by the 9001st
time they're played, but there's a reason they get played a thousand times and more. Who hasn't ever had some lulz
There's the fanbase that has been ever since the beginning of the show, and there's the second wave
that watches the show/plays the game/reads the book after exposure to the meme. It's not (most of the times) Viral Marketing
, since it's fans rather than marketroids behind them. Think What's uuuup!
vs All Your Base Are Belong to Us
This is right before people endlessly repeating them makes it annoying
and, ironically, may make you want to avoid it as much as possible
. Related to I Read It for the Articles
, Just Here for Godzilla
, Come for the X, Stay for the Y
. Spoiler marks are used in order to keep you from unneeded exposure. May inadvertently result in Beam Me Up, Scotty!
Compare Bile Fascination
, where people watch / play / listen to it for the crap quality.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Subverted in Ronin Warriors. With cheesy lines aplenty, there should be more internet memes than there actually are. That said, you can still watch it for hilariously bad lines.
- Watching Tekkaman Blade to hear the voice that broke microphones.
- Or the dub of the original Tekkaman for the SPACE LANCE!
- Watching Bleach or getting a Vocaloid for the Leek Spin; also looking for more music by Loituma.
- Misao's dialogues set to Ievan Polkka have surely added to the fanbase of Lucky Star. Too bad there's not so much of Misao in the anime.
- Speaking of Lucky Star, most people watch it for Konata (after hearing her Gourmet Race).
- Or her Haruhi impressions, or the other Gourmet Races.
- School Days: A lot of people watched it only after hearing that they went for the bad ending. Also, Nice Boat.
- Watching Rozen Maiden for the Desu of it. Especially funny since a lot of other characters, and in fact real people speak that way.
- But not to the level Suiseiseki does it.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Viral, The Dragon.
- Pokémon: So I herd u liek Mudkips (sic) macros, as well as Fuck yeah, Seaking!, let me show u my pokemans and endless memes involving Slowpoke.
- Speaking of Pokémon, the Team Rocket motto just never gets old. Ever. Neither does Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again....*PING!*
- DeviantArt, in a misguided attempt at an April Fools' Day prank, changed every avatar on the site to a Mudkip with the legendary "So I Herd U Liek Mudkips" phrase going across the top on April 1, 2008. Reactions ranged from panic to rage to "That's not funny! Stop sucking!"
- One of the "Why Am I Here" choices you can set for your profile is "To view pretty, pretty Mudkips."
- Azumanga Daioh has piles of image macros and references which keep drawing new fans in. Two very well known are Bananaphone and Chiyo dressed as a penguin.
- Osaka's "bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep" in AMV Hell...and Osaka in general.
- And Norio Wakamoto's cameo as a cat...thing.
- Death Note: Because eating a potato chip can be dramatic, and because of "single-word spoilers" like: L(A)DIES.
- Haruhi Suzumiya: "Is this a dancing anime?" Also, "nyoro~n."
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: Screw the Rules, I Have Money!... in America!
- Naruto: Dynamic Entry!!
- There's also searching out clips of the original Japanese broadcast episodes you've already seen on Cartoon Network or DVD, for the "Sasuke can see you!" or "Good, Naruto, you look kind of cool" animation glitches.
- Axis Powers Hetalia: Prussia will seize your vital regions!
- Don't forget the epic taglines! "I want to see your country and my country making out," and "LOL History."
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: because it's wryyyyyly good when Time Stands Still.
- Kanon, after watching all Ayu's multiple uguu~s on YouTube. Same case as Rozen Maiden's "Desu". And Shana's "Urusai!".
- If your attention span is long enough you're likely watching Ghost in the Shell for the meme. The meme that became an actual meme, just to further the show's Mind Screw.
- Reading/watching Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei may just leave you in despair!
- Don't forget the hits Bure, bure, bure, bure and Runba, runba, runba, runba, runba.
- K-On! for Yui and Castanet.
- Hidamari Sketch: Because it just bugs you — even knowing it'll bust your nutbladder.
- Fate/stay night: Archer, the inspiration for the word GAR.
- A lot of people started watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni because of it's many memes, usually they're Nipah related.
- Code Geass. One Word: Orange.
- The day Fullmetal Alchemist fans watched a certain episode, all female officers are required to wear... TINY MINISKIRTS!
- I LOVE DOGS!
- IT IS ALL PASSED DOWN FROM THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!
- Watching F-Zero: GP Legend for the galaxy-splitting FALCON PUNCH!
- Neon Genesis Evangelion, for TEH REI!
- Or that Gainax Ending everyone's talking about.
- "I'm so fucked up."
- And End of Evangelion for teh giant naked Rei and everyone being hugged and turning into Tang.
- Or the Gendo Pose.
- Macross Frontier for "Nyan nyan, Nyan nyan, ni hao nyan!"
- Sketchbook for SOU NAN DESS KARR?
- Kuso Miso Technique simply for "yaranaika?".
- Dragon Ball Z for "it's over 9000!". There are also some who watch just to see if they are, in fact, still on Namek.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica for the Morning Rescue, Meguca and of course Kyubey.
- Mami losing her head once literally, once metaphorically is also a big draw.
- Watching Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha to learn about the White Devil.
- Bokurano for the infamously depressing plot.
- Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam for the Bright Slap. And maybe Gundam SEED dub for the disco guns.
- Hokuto No Ken: Come for the "Hokuto! Hyakuretsu Ken", stay for the hilariously exploding mooks. Alternatively, watch it because You Are Already Dead.
- 300: Let's just leave it at This! Is! SPARTA! and Tonight, We Dine in Hell!.
- Scanners is primarily remembered, and watched to this day, for the exploding head scene.
- Many, many people watched There Will Be Blood because of the milkshake meme (it's right at the end, so the poor schlubs had to sit through the first 99% of this stunningly excellent film to get round to it, the poor bastards).
- And Jonny Greenwood fans.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!!!"
- There are such "classics" as Animal House, or The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Miracle on 34th Street. These are movies that if you haven't seen them, you're missing part of the zeitgeist. When someone says, "Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" and you correct them, you expose yourself as the Real Life version of a Noob. The only way to correct this is to go back and engage in remedial culture exposure.
- Planet of the Apes: You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to Hell!
- "Take your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
- The Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal Lecter has some memorable lines himself, but a couple of Buffalo Bill's have more of that meme status:
- "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"
- "It places the lotion in the basket"
- "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard."
- Snakes on a Plane: "I have had it with these muthafucking snakes on this muthafucking plane!" It's been on ever before the movie comes out.
- Hell, it was floating around the internet before it was even in the script. Which is how it got in the script. Just proves that not all blatant fanservice need be sexual.
- Not to mention that the title was the only reason Samuel L. Jackson, and everyone else for that matter, was interested in the part at all.
- In many ways the film is itself the film version of the meme rather than the other way around. Upon release actually watching the film itself was unnecessary and probably best avoided.
- On a similar note, "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" from X-Men: The Last Stand, which was added to the script after it became a youtube meme.
- I Am Legend... also, I was saving that bacon. I was saving it!
- The Princess Bride: You Keep Using That Word and don't know who the hell is the Dread Pirate Roberts? Really, go watch it (or read the book).
- Film/Shrek Well he IS love,he IS life
- Requiem for a Dream: "Ass ta ass!"
- Aversion: No one watched Star Wars because it was A TRAP!!!!
- Star Trek II: The wrath of KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- A Few Good Men - "You want answers?" "I want the TRUTH!" "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"
- On the subject of Jack Nicholson, Five Easy Pieces seems to be remembered nowadays almost exclusively for the diner sequence, namely "I want you to hold it between your knees."
- Ditto Nicholson in The Last Detail. Most people that have seen this movie seem to remember the "I am the motherfucking shore patrol, motherfucker. I am the motherfucking shore patrol!" line more than anything else.
- Bah, I deride your truth-handling abilities! - Sideshow Bob
- Watching Balls of Fury to find out what "Have your grandma pull the car around" could possibly mean.
- Troll 2, OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!
- The Room: "You are TEARING ME APART, Lisa!"
- "I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullshit! I did not hit her. I did NAAHT... Oh hai Mark".
- "What a story, Mark!"
- "Leave your stupid comments in your pocket!"
- Suburban Commando for "I was frozen today!"
- Street Fighter for Raul Julia.
- Pulp Fiction for either Samuel L. Jackson's speech, John Travolta dancing or someone getting his brains blown out by accident.
- Titanic for the "king of the world" or "I'm flying" bits.
- Recent comic book movies like Iron Man (IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!), Superman Returns (WRONG!) and The Dark Knight (Why...so... serious?)
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back for Jay's rap.
- The Lord of the Rings for "MY PRECIIIOOOOOUUUUSSSSS...." and "YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!"
- Pirates of the Caribbean for Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?
- Similarly The Lone Ranger for Tonto. Make trade?
- Most viewers no longer watch Point Break past the midway point where Keanu Reeves fires his gun into the air and goes "Ah-agh!"
- Soylent Green is people!
- Labyrinth for any number of reasons:
"You remind me of the babe." "What babe?" "The babe with the power." "What power?" "The power of Hoodoo." "Hoodoo?" "You do." "Do what?" "Remind me of the babe." "What babe?" And so on...
No, I said "'allo", but that's close enough."
Hey, lady! Where you goin' with a head like that!
- The first Twilight movie just to see Edward sparkle.
- History of the World Part I for the Spanish Inquisition.
- Also, it's good to be the king.
- The Wicker Man: Nicolas Cage getting stung by bees.
- Some people only watched the ending of Gone with the Wind because frankly my dear, they don't give a damn.
- If you watch a four-hour movie just for the last line, you've got dedication.
- "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again!"
- Finding Forrester for the famous, website-inspiring line You're The Man Now, Dog!
- Hitler is furious that people have watched Downfall because of the Gag Subs of his ranting Villainous Breakdown.
- Inglourious Basterds: "We're gonna be doin' ONE THANG and ONE THANG ONLY! Killin' Natzies."
- "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!!!!!!!!"
- "Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!"
- Army of Darkness: "This Is My Boomstick!"
- "Hail to the King, baby!"
- "Klaatu! Barada! ... Nghtcough!"
- Friday the 13th (1980): Arrow through the throat.
- Tropic Thunder: "You never go full retard".
- "I know who I am! I'm a dude playing the dude disguised as another dude!"
- "What do you mean 'you people'?" "What do you mean 'you people'?"
- "I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!"
- Con Air was Vindicated by History to a certain extent over fascination with matters of putting bunnies back in boxes and questioning how to live without you.
- The Family Man and "I WANT THAT CAKE!"
- A Cry In The Dark (AKA Evil Angels): Four words: "DINGOES ATE MY BABY!"
- No one makes memes like Gaston!
- Fight Club: The first rule about Fight Club is you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!
- American Psycho: For the "Oh my God, it even has a water mark." And also for the Huey Lewis and The News.
- Network "I'M / WE'RE MAD AS HELL, AND I'M / WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"
- The Usual Suspects "And like that... puff he's gone."
- The Lorax: "How Bad Can I Be?"
- Strozek: the dancing chicken.
- The 2010 Clash of the Titans: "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"
- Basically the only reason people watch Vampire's Kiss is for Nicolas Cage running down the street shouting that he's a vampire, as well as his ridiculous facial expressions.
- Lars von Trier's Antichrist: CHAOS....REIGNS!
- Despicable Me for IT'S SO FLUFFY!
- Warriors...Come Out and Plaa-ay!!!
- Most people, even people who aren't fans, know the popcorn/exploding house scene from Real Genius.
- Dirty Dancing: Nobody puts Baby in a corner!
- Some people buy and eat Gorilla Munch just for the infamous gorilla on the box, associated with the phrase "That rustled my jimmies".
- Arguably Doritos and or Mountain Dew. Because of Montage Parodies.
Live Action TV
- Saturday Night Live has several of them: Happy Fun Ball or More Cowbell, for instance.
- And recent ones by Andy Samberg and The Lonely Island.
- Only watching CSI: Miami... *puts on sunglasses* for Horatio's awesome one-liners.
- If you want to cross off the most memes on your list for a single source, Monty Python's Flying Circus is probably your best bet. The show will give you "spam, spam, spam, spam," "this is an ex-parrot," "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition," "nudge nudge wink wink say no more," "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay," "My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels," "Burma!" and possibly some others you've been struggling with. Of the films, Monty Python's Life of Brian will give you "the People's Front of Judea," "what have the Romans ever done for us," "Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, "he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" and "I'm Brian and so's my wife!" And don't forget to always look on the bright siiiide of life! Doodoo doodoo doodoodoodoo! Holy Grail will give you swallows and coconuts, "Not Quite Dead," "I Got Better," "help help I'm being repressed," "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries," the killer rabbit, and "Ni!" Meaning of Life, oddly, probably won't give you anything, unless you've encountered "every sperm is sacred." Even so, you ought to be satisfied.
- Meaning of Life does have Mr Creosote and the "wafer-thin mint".
- And the machine that goes ping!
- Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour...
- I didn't even eat the salmon mousse!
- Getting into Doctor Who just to find out what the heck a Time Lord is.
- Watching The A-Team just so you can understand the Mr. T vs. meme.
- The Mighty Boosh; I'm Old Greg!
- Chappelle's Show is a perfect example of a show people watch so they can quote it with their friends.
- Ever saw that macro of crustaceans gathering around a bag of Doritos? Those are giant isopods.
- This very wiki has its memes, making noobs get deeper in.
- Any common Youtube Poop material (such as the CD-i games and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) after watching YouTube Poop.
- Also, sometimes it draws attention to the material even when viewers of said YTP may have seen the material elsewhere. For example, some might have seen ads involving Billy Mays without particularly paying much attention to them, and started paying closer attention to such ads after they're being parodied in YTP.
- Becoming a Troper just so you can edit this website and add your examples.
- In Linkara's review of All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder, he introduces the part involving the line "I'm the Goddamn Batman" by saying: "And here it is. The moment of truth. The moment everyone remembers this comic for." After he reads the line, he says, "Ladies and gentlemen... we have... an Internet meme!!"
- He later posted a video saying that he would not review any more non-terrible comics merely so people could hear him recite a meme.
- Obscurus Lupa specialises in this trope, reviewing both Gymkata and Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, among others.
- Many people watch Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Pikmin solely to find out who this Steve guy everyone is talking about is.
- The Steve Moustache Show got most of its views from people who want to hear what a WTF Boom would sound like without the boom.
- Watching the Game Grumps' Let's Play of Sonic '06 because of this particular freakout Arin has in part 20.
- South Park: "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!."
Step 1: Watch the episode "Gnomes" to understand this meme.
Step 2: ? Step 3: Profit.
- The 1967 Spider-Man cartoon has seen a surge in popularity, after it was realized that its bizarre, exaggerated animation made for great reaction images.
- The Super Mario World cartoon. Six words and a sound: "That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario! *Wheeze*"
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: "SnooPING AS usual, I see!"
- Watching The Simpsons Movie for Spider Pig.
- Futurama: Memes do not work that way! Good night! (There are many ways they do work, though.)
- Learning about Candlejack from Freakazoid. There's just never enough rope for you people.
- Many people start watching My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic for the memes, but end up as genuine fans.
- For a specific example, a disturbing amount of fans admit the thing that introduced them to the show was the notorious Cupcakes fan-fiction.
- The phrase "I watch it for the plot" ended up referring to the shots of pony posteriors, which became known in Bronyspeak as "dat plot" or "dat flank".
- The Dover Boys: A classic cartoon I never heard of! I'll watch it! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW! (It even led to a meme for the above! Confound those ponies, they drive me to drink!)
- Many users of a certain website have been introduced to Sym-Bionic Titan through a video of the notorious "Booty-Quake" scene that has circulated heavily on the site.
- Disney's Robin Hood attracts a lot of its latter-day audience because it originated the Hamsterdance tune.
- Its influence on the Furry Fandom is hard to discount, as well.
- Street Fighter: Yes! Yes!