"Come on sugar, let the good times roll."A sequence in which it is shown that, while time is passing, our characters are enjoying themselves and having fun with each other. Opposite of the Sad Times Montage. This is sometimes used as the very last scene of a Clip Show series finale. Can be combined with a Drunken Montage in humorous works.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Monster contains a montage of Nina, Dieter, and Lipsky "making some good memories."
- Black★Rock Shooter has a montage of Mato and Yumi's burgeoning friendship about half-way through.
- Kannazuki no Miko has Himeko reliving good memories with Chikane after Himeko stabs Chikane through the chest in the Final Battle. Heartbreaking.
- Done in one Sunday Calvin and Hobbes strip, which consisted of a montage of the titular duo engaging in various summer fun activities.
- Star Wars Uncut: In this Fan Film remake of Star Wars: A New Hope Luke's line "That droid and I have been through a lot together" cues a montage of Luke and R2 together partying, shitting, and making love in the same room with a woman and an iPhone respectively.
- Protectors of the Plot Continuum: An illustrated version of this trope is used to cap off the two-part mission, "Girls' Night Out", with all of the agents participating having fun at Beach Citynote . Notable in that the mission itself focused on agents Lapis Lazuli and Aiko Kimura struggling to cooperate, and the photographs show that not only have they come to terms with each other, but also that Lapis is on track to becoming a nicer person overall, and has learned to appreciate herself and her friends as well.
Films — Animation
- The opening sequence of Shrek 2.
- A Goofy Movie: Goofy and Max share one after the former eases up and latter lightens up.
- In The Incredibles, after Bob Parr defeats the first Omnidroid and finds himself with a lot of money and no need to work a job, a montage shows him spending quality time with his family and living the good life, interspersed with scenes of him exercising to get back in shape. It's set to a rousing swing tune, named "Life's Incredible Again" on the soundtrack album.
- Up has one of these showing the course of Carl and Ellie's marriage. It gradually transforms into a Sad Times Montage, as we see Ellie's miscarriage and her eventual illness and death.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs has one after the FLDSMDFR gets going, with the town being renovated and people requesting (and receiving) various foods. It is played with, though, as one shot shows Brent watching worriedly as the old Baby Brent Sardines billboard is covered with a new ad for Flint Lockwood Napkins.
- In The Prince of Egypt when Moses is welcomed into the Midian tribe and becomes a member of their community, even marrying Tzipporah.
- Treasure Planet: Jim's time aboard the RLS Legacy where he slowly begins to mature from a sullen youth into a responsible adult and develops a father-son relationship with John Silver.
- Shrek 2: The song "Accidentally in love" plays with Shrek and Fiona's honeymoon, showing them as two people who never intended to fall in love but we still so happy together.
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Legend of Everfree: The song "Be the Legend You Were Meant to Be" includes snapshots showing the girls having fun at Camp Everfree (presumably in the following days), including mugging the camera, fishing on the lake, eating s'mores by the campfire, having a pillow fight, or just hanging out between friends.
Films — Live-Action
- The Royal Tenenbaums: Royal takes Chas's kids around town set to "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" by Paul Simon.
- The remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004), in which the survivors start enjoying themselves at long last, while Richard Cheese's remake of Down with the Sickness plays in the background.
- The Quiet Earth: Crossed with Shopping Montage as Zac enjoys everything that the abandoned world has to offer: for example, playing "trains" with real trains while dressed in the most expensive suit he could steal and saluting mannequin passengers with a Cuban cigar.
- It features a montage in which Renton, Spud and Sickboy start using heroin again, set to the fantastically sleazy Nightclubbing by Iggy Pop. Also during this montage, Tommy becomes an addict, Sickboy rambles on about Bond Girls, Renton gives a long list of all the drugs they took, and all of them commit various crimes to fund their habit- including strolling nonchalantly into a nursing home and stealing a TV. The "Good Times" end when Allison's baby daughter dies of neglect.
- There's another montage when Renton moves to London and gets a job as a property letting agent, in which he enjoys the trickery of real estate, earning money and actually saving it, and remaining in contact with his girlfriend.
- Ghostbusters presents one of these when the ghostbusting business is doing well.
- Chasing Amy has a scene like this, showing the growing friendship between Holden and Alyssa. It even has cake!
- The midpoint of Scarface has one of these set to the tune of "Push it to the Limit" after Tony has taken over the Miami drug trade.
- In Plunkett & Macleane the film shows a string of successful heists and robberies being pulled off by the titular pair in an awesome montage. All while their notoriety rises.
- In Scotland, PA, interspersed with the scenes of business booming at McBeth's restaurant, there are scenes of the McBeths enjoying the wealth from the business.
- Brilliantly parodied in Wet Hot American Summer when the counselors go into town and within about an hour progress from innocent teen fun to living in a crack house and shooting themselves up with heroin.
- Valley Girl shows Randy and Julie in one of these set to the song most associated with the film, namely Modern English's "I Melt With You." The montage even includes a segment in which a disbelieving Tommy spies Julie sharing a piece of pie with Randy at the mall food court.
- Used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off to show Ferris, Cameron, and Sloane having fun in various Chicago institutions.
- The Naked Gun contains a montage of Frank and Jane frolicking happily through various settings (including a showing of Platoon!). She promptly hangs a lampshade, saying "I can't believe we managed all this in one afternoon!"
- Half way through The Karate Kid, a montage shows Daniel and his love interest having a good time at the arcade.
- The Beach after the main characters are accepted into the secret utopian beach community, before everything starts to turn sour.
- Rush: Wine, women, quiz shows, making cheesy adverts, all the glitz and glamour after James Hunt wins the 1976 F1 race car championship.
- In Pain and Gain The trio goes on one as they spend the money they stole.
- In Barefoot, while Jay and Daisy are traveling cross country in an RVnote , they stop to have fun at a rural county fair. In the film's last scene, after Jay and Daisy have earned their happy ending, they're riding a merry-go-round just as they did at the fair as a Meaningful Echo.
- Bruce Almighty has two:
- The first comes right after Bruce learns he really does have his powers, where he frolics through Buffalo, bursting fire hydrants and lifting girls' dresses.
- The second comes after Bruce gets his job back, and he uses his powers to create lots of amazing news stories.
- Done in Running Scared (1986) to show Danny and Ray enjoying themselves while on vacation in Florida.
- The Sound of Music shows Maria and the children excitedly exploring Salzburg and the hills, to the accompaniment of an instrumental of "My Favorite Things".
- Done in Sneakers, crossed with the use of Jump Cut, to show Liz dancing with various members of the team after they successfully pulled off the robbery.
- In The Cobbler, the dinner date of Max (pretending to be his father) and his mum is depicted in a series of happy moments.
- 10 Cloverfield Lane has an upbeat montage of the characters settling into their routine in the bunker, playing games and doing chores together. It is the only scene in the movie which is truly lighthearted, and the mood rapidly darkens afterward.
- The Torchwood episode "Ghost Machine" has a alien device that recreates Rhys and Gwen's past happy moments.
- Supernatural's fifth season finale used one composed of various clips from the series, as Sam remembered all the time he and Dean spent together. This is ultimately what enables him to overpower Lucifer and seal him back in the pit.
- Eastbound & Down has one of these whenever Kenny does coke with Clegg.
- Misfits brings out one of these when the team are given the job of sorting donated clothes. Naturally, they use this opportunity to bugger around as much as possible, either flinging themselves into the pile of clothing, pushing each other into it, exchanging jokes, or just trying on the clothes.
- The Christmas special also features this when the Misfits decide to sell their mainly Useless Superpowers, and enjoy much happier lives because of it: Alisha, no longer hampered by her lust-inducing touch, enjoys genuinely intimate sex with Simon; Nathan cosies up with Marnie; Kelly joyfully tosses her council-worker's uniform in the bin; Curtis and Nikki gloat over the tickets they've bought with the money. However, the montage takes a very dark turn when the False Jesus is seen in the Power Dealer's office, grinning as he hands over a huge stack of his followers' money in exchange for Alisha's power... which is immediately put to the worst possible use.
- The series finale of ReGenesis ends on one of these, possibly combined with Really Dead Montage. Guess we'll never know for sure, since it was the end of the series.
- Scarface: The World is Yours has a scene over the opening credits of Tony driving through Miami set to peppy music that comes across as an "It's Great To Be Alive" montage.
- Tropico 3 has El Presidente partying with the people of his/her country, if you complete a mission successfully. Definitely shows off the glamour of the Caribbean.
- Mafia II has a few. The first is in Chapter 9, showing Vito and Joe making the most of being in The Mafia, while the second, in Chapter 12, shows Vito, Joe, and Henry making a lot of money from the drugs they're selling.
- Fate/stay night: Subverted oh-so-very-much in a climactic moment near the end of the Heaven's Feel route of the visual novel. Music plays and we get a montage of happy moments between Saber and Shirou just after he's killed her to free her from the corruption of being Saber Alter on the way to stopping Angra Mainyu. Goddamn it, Nasu.
- Subverted in The Emperor's New School when Malina tries to have a Good Times Montage (she even lampshades it) with Doyle the Manatee; he just cannot be bothered to partake in most of the activities she tries.
- In Arthur, when DW and Binky think they're dying, they do things together like rake leaves, carve pumpkins, and get in a Snowball Fight. When it ends, DW say "It's amazing all the things you can do in one day".
- SpongeBob SquarePants:
"F is for frolicking through all the flowers, U is for ukulele... N is for nose picking, sharing gum, and sand licking here with my best buddy!"
"F is for fire that burns down the whole town, U is for uranium... bombs, N is for no survivors..."
- Sonic Boom:
- Parodied in the episode, "Buster". At one point, Sticks implores her titular robo-pet to remember all the good times they had together, flashing back to scenes the viewers didn't see in the episode. When Buster remains unconvinced, Sticks admits they didn't really do any of that.
- A similar scene occurs in "Eggman's Tomato Sauce" when Tails implores his plane, which had been reprogrammed by one of Eggman's tomato sauce cans, to remember the good times.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: At the end of "The Cutie Re-Mark – Part 2", we see short clips of Starlight Glimmer's new status as a supporting character, having fun and bonding with each of the Mane Six. Starlight is enjoying a dress made by Rarity, petting animals with Fluttershy (as well as receiving an affectionate Bear Hug from Harry), apple bucking with Applejack, flying (or rather levitating) with Rainbow Dash, baking cupcakes with Pinkie Pie, and finally, reading and studying magic with her new teacher, Princess Twilight.