Jeff, Hal, Steve, and a Shy Guy ON FIRE!
A discontinued/finished flash animation series on Newgrounds
by araskin500 and pthouse about a Goomba named Jeff and a Koopa Troopa named Hal, and other characters working for Bowser.
Most of the humor comes from lampshade hanging
conventions of the Mario
world, running gags
, and Hal's buttmonkey
status. The series, as well as a few other works, can be found here
There is a series related to this one called Smash Kingdom. Some of the characters make an appearance there. Now with a Characters
This series contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight:
- The Karate Duo (NUMBAH ONE) are the stars of Episode 9.
- Before that, Lemmy Koopa and some minions were the stars of Episode 3.
- Ambiguously Jewish: Rick Finklestein
- Animated Actors: Episode 10
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Episode 666 had Jeff warn Hal about the zombies and describe why they are bad, but Hal takes action when Jeff mentions the zombies called Hal gay.
- Art Shift:
- Most of Episode 9 isn't sprite-based.
- The battle between Hal and Donkey Kong is 8-Bit.
- Awesome McCoolname: Team Super Awesome Dynamite Platinum Bros.
- Back from the Dead: Princess Peach was killed in episode 4, then brought back to life in episode 5
- Badass Grandpa: Frogfucius
- Ballistic Discount: Hal does this to this Koopa Merchant in Episode 666 after being told that he does not have enough cash.
- Bat Man Can Breathe In Space: Hal, Jeff, Steve and the rest of the Koopa Troop in episode 8.
- Beware of the Nice Ones: Steve masterminded the events of the Movie because Hal stepped on the flowers and insulted him.
- Big "NO!": Episode 9
- Bindle Stick: Hal in episode 6.
- Book Ends: Episode 1 ends with Mario beating Hal and Jeff. The Movie ends with Mario and Luigi beating Hal and Jeff.
- The Cameo: Mecha-Sonic from Super Mario Bros. Z makes an appearance during the Easter Egg of episode 8.
- Catch Phrase: Steve has "HI GUYS!", which is lampshaded many times in Episode 10.
- Cool Expressive Mask: The Karate Duo (NUMBAH ONE)
- Cool Shades: Mouser and Mega Mole of the Super Awesome Dynamite Platinum Bros. Team
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Steve, who orchestrated the events of the Bowser's Kingdom Movie.
- Curbstomp Battle: Any time Mario fights someone he's nearly guaranteed to win. Lemmy put up a good fight though.
- Death Is Cheap: Princess Peach in Episodes 4+5 and one of the Karate Duo in Episode 9
- Did You Die?: Inverted at the end of Episode 9 where one of the Karate Duo tells a story in which one of them apparently died, but Hal and Jeff ask how that's possible since both of them are right there.
- Their excuse: LUCKY CANDY!
- Dressing as the Enemy: Jeff and Hal dress as Mario and Luigi to infiltrate the castle and kidnap Princess Peach without her knowing it. It actually works.
- Driven to Suicide: Lemmy Koopa according to Episode 10.
- Everything's Better With Monkeys Wearing Ties
- Easter Egg: One was shown at the end of episode 8.
- Even the Subtitler Is Stumped: The Inaudible Thwomp.
- Evil Speech Of Evil: Given by Ganon, who's attempting to get wellfare. Guess he's fallen on hard times since losing to Link. Again.
- Eyeless Face: Steve the Piranha Plant.
- Framing Device: Episode 9
- Good Times Montage: Jeff and Donkey Kong in Episode 6.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Geno's theory why the Zombie Apocalypse occured in episode 666.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Paul Hammerbro.
- Halloween Episode: Episode 666.
- Haunted House: One was shown in the Movie.
- Hilarious Outtakes: Some were shown at the end of Episode 10.
- Kiai: KIAHHHHHH!
- Let's Get Dangerous: The Karate Duo do this and curb stomp a part of Bowser's army in the movie.
- Mistaken for Gay: Hal.
Kamek: I knew you were gay!
- Minion with an F in Evil: The whole premise of the series is more or less that Hal and Jeff are very bad at being bad.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: The Dino Pirahna is part Pirahna Plant and part Dino Rhino.
- Motive Rant: Steve does this in The Movie.
- Multiple Endings: Episode 666.
- Neck Lift: Hal was a victim of one in episode 8's Easter Egg.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: All the Shy Guys talk like Christopher Walken.
- Noodle Incident: What happened to Bowser's other seven children. It's not hard to guess though...
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Steve.
- Number of the Beast: The Halloween episode is titled "Bowser's Kingdom: Episode 666".
- Old Master: Frogfucius is actually the master of the Karate Duo Number 1.
- The Olympics: Episode 7.
- Only in It for the Money: The Karate Duo
Karate Duo: We are Karate Duo Number One. Soldiers of fortune. Mercenaries for hire. Karate guys for cash. We work hard for the money. So hard for the money... We work hard for the money, so you'd better treat us right...
- Piranha Problem: Or rather, a piranha-dinosaur-plant problem.
- Phrase Catcher: "Hi Steve..."
- Plot Armor: Lampshaded by Jeff in The Movie.
- Plot Device: The Star Bunny in episode 8. Lampshaded as well.
- Punch Clock Villain: Hal and Jeff
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Episode 3 is about one of these. One also appears at the beginning of episode 8.
- Refuge in Audacity: Lucky Candy also appears to be the equivalent of a birth control pill.
Hal: Or did you just give yourself a fungicidal abortion?
- Running Gag: Hal isn't paid to work for Bowser.
- Scot Ireland: Or Germaustria in this case.
Hal: If I can take down a large gorilla wearing a tie, then I can definately take down some German turtle.
Chomp Bro: I'm Austrian! HIYAAAH!
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Hal and Jeff at the end of the movie.
- Second Place Is for Winners: Episode 7
- Shonen Hair: Jeff in episode 8's easter egg.
- Shout-Out: Episode 3 is a shout out to Reservoir Dogs.
- Smug Super: Geno
- Species Surname: Paul Hammerbro the Hammer Bros.
- Super Serum: As it turns out... LUCKY CANDY!
- Take That, Scrappy! : Mallow is mentioned by Frogfucius in episode 9 to be useless even if he can heal.
- That's What She Said: The Fratboy Hammer Bros.
- The Movie: Bowser's Kingdom: The Movie.
- The Unintelligible: The Inaudible Thwomp
- Also Bowser and Bowser Jr., but they get (readable) subtitles.
- Those Two Bad Guys: The series is more or less Super Mario, but from the perspective of Those Two Guys, Hal and Jeff.
- Top-Heavy Guy: Chomp Bro. of Team Super Awesome Dynamite Platinum Bros.
- Trademark Favorite Food: For the Karate Duo Number One: LUCKY CANDY!
- Training Montage: Parodied in episode 7, where they were apparently too lazy to animate the montage. Jeff and Hal lampshade the lack of a montage, which leads them to believe that they actually didn't train at all.
- Unexplained Recovery: In episode 9, one of the members of Karate Duo Number 1 dies at the end of the tale. Jeff interrupts the story, asking how he could be sitting right there then. They respond with "LUCKY CANDY!"
- Use Your Head: Jeff does this in the zombie special.
- The Voiceless: Mario does not speak at all but he does have occasional snippets from Charles Martinet.
- Zombie Apocalypse: In the Halloween special.