A particular form of Memetic Mutation
, generally taking the form of an article, video or similar, in which the subject at hand gets flipped, turned upside-down, so I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how--
...er, sorry. The subject at hand is overtaken by the meme, to the surprise and chagrin of the viewer. Sometimes these memes go as far as interrupting other
memes. (One assumes that should any of these memes face off against each other, the universe would end
See also Bait and Switch
. The original topic may be left with No Ending
. If the original topic was boring anyway, the interruption may serve as a Drop The Cow
open/close all folders
- MORNING RESCUE! (Especially combined with Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And especially in the role of Big Damn Heroes.)
- The first Energizer Bunny ad campaign had the drumming toy rabbit, who was still going, march his way through other (fake) commercials.
- Old Spice similarly interrupts other (fake) commercials, claiming that it's too powerful to let an ad-break end. (It's probably supposed to run in conjunction with another Old Spice ad, but sometimes it's played in isolation.)
Anime and Manga
- On the TV Tropes forum, any discussion can get derailed into an Evangelion discussion at any moment because EVANGELION DERAIL: This thread is now about Evangelion.
- People referencing the second Darker Than Black opening will often UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
- When discussing Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you sh-*CHOMP*
- And don't lose your head over it either, mmm'kay? ◕ ‿‿ ◕
- Kara no Kyoukai: Touko is a dirty red bitc
- Can't forget about Rozen Maiden which- DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU!
- Magic: The Gathering: Time Stop! note
- The Scornful Egotist is a creature spell that, despite its flagrantly bad effect, has gathered something of a ALL HAIL THE GREAT LORD EGOTIST.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! interrupting me—"Not so fast! You've activated my trap card!"
- Final Crisis: Due to The Anti-Life Equation running through all of humanity, some fans have beguALL IS ONE IN DARKSEID.
- Superman Returns: Superman will nev-''WROOOOOONNNG!!!!''
- Sometimes, when talking about Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, people tend tWE ARE SEX BOB-OMB, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!!!
- Inception's BWOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGG
- It's more obscure, but The Terminator seriWHERE IS SARAH CONNOR
- Rocky Horror Picture Show: I see you shiver with antici—SAY IT!—pation!
- The much maligned horror film The Devil Inside has its infamous lack of en- The events of this entry have never been fully explained. Visit tvtropes.org or more information on the ongoing investigation.
- After the scene in Wreck-It Ralph where the audience learns the origin of the Arc Words "going Turbo" Explanation , animated pictures started popping up of Turbo interrupting other video games involving vehicles, driving by with his smug grin and his catch-phrase "Turbo-tastic!"
- As demonstrated above, a video or story getting "Bel-Air'd" (the topic at hand getting interrupted by the Expository Themetune of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) is a common form of this. Frequently takes the form of a story segueing into how the writer got into one little fight and his mom got scared, and so on and so forth. Eventually, this became so prevalent that my mom got scared, and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air". I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "Nah, forget it; yo Holmes, to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby "Yo Holmes, smell you later!" I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there! Sittin' on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
- Monty Python: Sometimes, when you least expect - NOOOOOOOOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
- Alternately, squished by a giant cartoon foot.
- A knight in full armour who hits the person who is talking with a dead chicken, thus ending the sketch.
- Of course, the colonel, who interrupts the sketch and ends it because it is too silly.
- And now, for something completely different...
- Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated shows these days, but one version of the "Walk of Punishment" episode cuts the sound out early in favor of the end credits, drowning out A BEAR THERE WAS, A BEAR, A BEAR!
- On El Chavo del ocho, when he gets really annoyed with somebody (usually either EL Chavo or La Chilindrina), Don Ramón (or sometimes another character) will sometimes (ˇFuera de aqui!note ) but...(ˇFuera de aqui!) but I...(ˇFuera!) but...(ˇFuera!) but...(ˇFuera!)...
- A Rickroll can occasionally take this form.
- Especially when Rick Astley and Cartoon Network Rickrolled all of America during the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.
- As the current page image shows, the Kanye West "Imma let you finish" meme is sometimes used in this-Yo Troper! I'm real happy for ya, and imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest pages of all time! ONE OF THE GREATEST PAGES OF ALL TIME!!!!-fashion.
- Sometimes, people will start to write a post, but then their parents will open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.
- The Monster Mash is occasionally used as an alternative to the Bel-Air theme song.
- And of co-STOP! HAMMER TIME!
- I was going on TV Tropes, thinking about how to add to the Warhammer 40,000 article, when suddenly I heard a rumbling sound. I looked around a bit, and concluded it must be coming from underneath the table my monitor was sitting on. I stood up and looked underneath the table, when, out of nowhere, a frakking Baneblade came out from under my computer, smashed it and the table, then shot up my modem and entire Chaos Space Marine army. How the hell did a 300 ton tank sneak underneath my computer? It would have to take some kind of tactical genius t- CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!
- It's also damn near impossible to discuss the Imperial Guard, and especially Commissars, witho-"HERESY!" *BLAM*
- Squats (essentially Space Dwarves) are infamous among the fandom. It is alleged that Games Workshop employ assassins to make their removal from canon stick, and merely bringing up their name ca
- There is an infamously terrible unit which shall not be named because otherwise you'll turn into one and being a Chaos Spawn suck-OH GOD I DIDN'T MENAW0RWHIOEFEFER9IGHERGVJKR
- The Truly Immovable Rod, which, when interpreted as a rod that stays immobile as the world rotates around it, would frequentl- *CLANG* WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
- Mass Effect's infamous Harbinger who goes on Assuming direct control .
- On some Mass Effect 2 message boards, Garrus' combat shouts "HEADSHOT!" and "Impressive!", due to his enthusiastic voice acting during combat, have also become memes, though obviously not to the extend of We are assuming control .
- Alongside that, Garrus also has "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of some calibrations." Even after the Romance Sidequest.
- Perhaps Commander Shepard can shed some light onI've had enough of your disingenuous assertions. SHEPARD PAUNCH!!!
- Shepard's 'I should go'. BioWare even made a shirt of it.
- Trombe from Super Robot Wars is so awesome that even his theme song can overpower any oth-TROMBE OVERRIDE!
- It's worth noting that this meme is not mutated from its original form at all. Thanks to an Ascended Glitch in the games themselves, every time Elzam engages in battle, Trombe will override even the most dramatic final boss music.
- With the exceptions to this rule being the Blue Danube and Despair
- Star Wolf's "Can't let you [Verb] that, Star Fox!"
- If talking about I Wanna Be the Guy difficulty, you might hear about GAME OVER - PRESS 'R' TO TRY AGAIN
- When playing BlazBlue, it's important to remember thaBANG BANG BANG BAAAAAANG! BANINGU DAMASHIII!
- Several members of GameFAQs have started a trend where in the middle of their sentence they suddenly ge*cougar'd*
- Discussions about the Glitch Pokémon MissingNo start out well bUt sO)n b3c1e-♠◘♥‼K☺Tµî>#BÜ╕╫@⌠§-Ü
- After Rock Band 2 came out, one might fiSPOONMAN
- Killer Instinct has a memetically popular announcer who C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
- Dwarf Fortress player cancels example, interrupted by Rhesus Macaque.
- At one point (not anymore), "Urist McDwarf cancels thirsty, killed by a carp."
- It's changed again to "Urist McDwarf cancels fishing, shoved by sponge".
- Minecraft's Creepers have became popular as masc-SSSSSSSSSSSSS
- TOUHOU HIJACK LOL.
- Star Control: The Slylandro Probes would like to tell you that that they come in pea... PRIORITY OVERRIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED. MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS.
- League of Legends: Oh dear, Fiddlesticks just hit Level 6. Let's stay away from-CAWCAWCAWCAWCAWCAW
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: The game's Variable Mix soundtrack sometimes cuts to different parts of a song to match the action, so a particularly awesome moment might sudd- RULES OF NATURE!
- YTMND spawned a few:
- The subject being crushed by a thwomp.
- Happycat with NEDM
- On 4chan and in similar circles, flash movies (usually NSFW ones) are occasionally "hooded", wherein the subject of the video has a crude MS Paint blackface imposed over them while DMX's "Where The Hood At" plays, usually just when it seems the viewer is about to see some boobs.
- The aptly-titled "WTF Boom". Here's a good example.
- It's not uncommon for someone to be in the middle of saying somethi— oh, crap! I just lost The Game!
- *is shot* is a widely popular meme, where the poster is presumably Killed Mid-Sentence for an unpopular opinion and/or overused meme. (For examples, take a look at Wild Mass Guessing and run a search on "Time Lord".)
- In The Cinema Snob review of Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2, during the introduction he keeps getting interrupted with the well-known "GARBAGE DAY" clip. Which makes sense, seeing as that's really all anyone knows about that movie.
- EPICROLL :the cutscene: from REPLAYING :the game:. (The original cuts off after one loop.)
- Imitating heart attacks is another popular interrupt which is found commonly on Image Boards; one particular usage, originating from Katawa Shoujo, involves finding something so overwhelmingly Moe tha-HNNNNNNNNNNG~
- On GameFAQs, suddenly... NINJAS! Hundreds of them!
- In the comments on the humor blog You Suck at Craigslist, whenever the discussion turns to zomb
- Also on YSaC, there is a meme potentially related to Hypno-Toads, spawned by th- ALL HAIL HYPNO-DOGS!
- Every time someone mentions UltraFARK, Drew gives you a be+++CARRIER LOST+++
- Blah blah extremely important Social Justice Crusade stuff blah.
- Fandom Wank is an excellent site where a lot of interesting threads can be found. More importantly, though, what are your thoughts on yaoi?
- In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Versus, Kaepora Gaebora (the owl) will occasionally interrupt them to tell the audience "I'M AN OWL."
- And whenever people discuss Welcome To Night Vale, there's always a risALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. ALL HAIL.
- Futurama only featured THE HYPNOTOAD as a throwaway gag, but ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
- Those windmills will keep them coolWINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!
- Anyone speaking of Freakazoid!'s Candle Jack is likely not to finish his sentence... Hey, whaddaya know, I'm perfectly fine.
- If you've seen Up, then you probably— SQUIRREL!
- The Simpsons: "So I says to Maybel, 'Maybel,' I says... hang on, I'll finish this later" [...] "So I says to Maybel..."
- Family Guy:
- Mega Man: Gutsman's Ass is everywhere! DUN-DUN!!!!
- There was a minor Running Gag in Mission Hill about a guy who... Penis penis penis penis.
- Thanks to My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, any and all topics will be derailed when someone—and then I said, "Oatmeal, are you crazy?"
- And then came the Sweetie Belle "Derelle", aptly nicknamed because AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
- Pinkie Pie often does this.
--ng Article who?