A particular form of Memetic Mutation, generally taking the form of an article, video or similar, in which the subject at hand gets flipped, turned upside-down, so I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how-- ...er, sorry. The subject at hand is overtaken by the meme, to the surprise and chagrin of the viewer. Sometimes these memes go as far as interrupting other memes. (One assumes that should any of these memes face off against each other, the universe would end.) See also Bait and Switch. The original topic may be left with No Ending. If the original topic was boring anyway, the interruption may serve as a Drop the Cow moment. A bit related to Jump Scare, except the "jump" in this case is meant for humor, not horror.
open/close all folders
- MORNING RESCUE! (Especially combined with Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And especially in the role of Big Damn Heroes.)
- The first Energizer Bunny ad campaign had the drumming toy rabbit, who was still going, march his way through other (fake) commer—"Still going! Nothing outlasts the Energizer. They keep going, and going...".
- Old Spice similarly interrupts other (fake) commercials, claiming that it's too powerful to let an ad-break end. (It's probably supposed to run in conjunction with another Old Spice ad, but sometimes it's played in isolation.)
Anime and Manga
- On the TV Tropes forum, any discussion can get derailed into an Evangelion discussion at any moment because EVANGELION DERAIL: This thread is now about Evangelion.
- People referencing the second Darker Than Black opening will often UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
- When discussing Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you sh-*CHOMP*
- And don't lose your head over it either, mmm'kay? ／人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人＼
- Kara no Kyoukai: Touko is a dirty red bitc
- There's also Rozen Maiden which- DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU!
- It's become a thing for fans of Jojos Bizarre Adventure to edit clips from other media so that suspenseful moments are interrupted by Yes' "Roundabout", in homage to that song being used as the closing theme for the anime adaptation of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency (and always including a sepia tone and a "To Be Continued" message).
- Superman Returns: Superman will nev-''WROOOOOONNNG!!!!''
- Sometimes, when talking about Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, people tend tWE ARE SEX BOB-OMB, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!!!
- Inception's BWOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGG
- It's more obscure, but The Terminator seriWHERE IS SARAH CONNOR
- Rocky Horror Picture Show:
- "I see you shiver with antici—SAY IT!—pation!"
- At any place in any time, if any line in the "Time Warp" is sung, then everybody has to drop everything they're doing and "Let's do the Time Warp again!"
- The much maligned horror film The Devil Inside has its infamous lack of en- The events of this entry have never been fully explained. Visit tvtropes.org or more information on the ongoing investigation.
- After the scene in Wreck-It Ralph where the audience learns the origin of the Arc Words "going Turbo" Explanation , animated pictures started popping up of Turbo interrupting other video games involving vehicles, driving by with his smug grin and his catch-phrase "Turbo-tastic!"
- This is used in the Interrupting Cow joke, as follows:
Knock knock.Who's there?Interrupting cow.Interr-MOO!
- With a variation involving the "interrupting coefficient of friction" - MU! (The coefficient of friction is represented by the greek letter "Mu")
- Or interrupting koal- *glomp*
- Looney Tunes: Back in Action has a deleted scene with a variation of this joke called "Impatient Cow".
- One entertaining variation that sadly only works once is the interrupting starfis- *hand in face*. Or for an even crueler variant, "Interrupting Falcon- PUNCH!
- As the "interrupting sheeep" joke, it's used as The Stinger in one episode of The Vicar of Dibley, As ever, Alice is Comically Missing the Point, and complains that the vicar didn't let her finish her bit. When Geraldine explains, Alice says that in that case, she knows lots of funny jokes like that, before trying the "interrupting rabbit" joke and realising that doesn't work.
- Made popular by The Office (US):
Knock knock.Who's there?KGB w-*slap* WE WILL ASK THE QUESTIONS!
- As demonstrated above, a video or story getting "Bel-Air'd" (the topic at hand getting interrupted by the Expository Themetune of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) is a common form of this. Frequently takes the form of a story segueing into how the writer got into one little fight and his mom got scared, and so on and so forth. Eventually, this became so prevalent that my mom got scared, and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air".
- Monty Python: Sometimes, when you least expect - NOOOOOOOOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
- Alternately, squished by a giant cartoon foot.
- A knight in full armour who hits the person who is talking with a dead chicken, thus ending the sketch.
- Of course, the colonel, who interrupts the sketch and ends it because it is too silly.
- And now, for something completely different...
- Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated shows these days, but one version of the "Walk of Punishment" episode cuts the sound out early in favor of the end credits, drowning out A BEAR THERE WAS, A BEAR, A BEAR!
- On El Chavo del ocho, when he gets really annoyed with somebody (usually either El Chavo or La Chilindrina), Don Ramón (or sometimes another character) will sometimes (¡Fuera de aqui!note ) but...(¡Fuera de aqui!) but I...(¡Fuera!) but...(¡Fuera!) but...(¡Fuera!)...
- This also occurs in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but is especially prevalent in the pin-"Thank you, Mr. Data".
- On The New Howdy Doody Show from the mid-late 1970s, this happened Once an Episode. After the opening theme song, Buffalo Bob would talk about what today's show is abou—
Howdy Doody:"Oh, Buff'lo Bob, Buff'lo Bob!"Buffalo Bob: "Oh hey, it's Howdy Doody!"
- In The Closer, one can imagine that Brenda Leigh Johnson won't have anyone's..."ANSWER THE QUESTION!!"
- A Rickroll can occasionally take this form. This includes a certain Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade appearance.
- As the current page image shows, the Kanye West "Imma let you finish" meme is sometimes used in this-Yo Troper! I'm real happy for ya, and imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest pages of all time! ONE OF THE GREATEST PAGES OF ALL TIME!!!!-fashion.
- Was (Not Was): Sometimes, people will start to write a post, but then their parents will open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.
- The Monster Mash is occasionally used as an alternative to the Bel-Air theme song.
- MC Hammer: STOP! HAMMER TIME!
- Vanilla Ice: STOP! Collaborate and listen!'
- Skilled players can invoke this in No Good Gofers any time they hit one of the—OW!note
- Dwayne Johnson, as The Rock, would often bait people by asking them: "What do you think of that?"
- Well, I-
- It doesn't MATTER what you think!!
- Well, I-
- After his debut in the WWE, Muhammad Hassan would often interrupt other wrestlers promos and whatnot, with his distinctive theme music. This spread to YTMND, and became what is now referred to as "Hassaning," where his music would oftAN ALIEN, ALIEN, ALIEN, ALAYLEE....
- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, also known as Stone WHAT Cold WHAT Steve '''WHAT''' Austin '''WHAT'''? Usually done by his fans when a rival talks trash about him. Hilariously transformed into a massive Take That by The Undertaker in this instance.
- This eventually became a problem as audiences began interrupting any heel promo, drowning out the dialogue for home viewers. On the plus column, it started teaching wrestlers not to rely on the overdone "portentous statement followed by dramatic pause" style of promo delivery.
- Number Four: "Chris Jericho's ARMBAR!"
- X has just completed/defeated (insert REALLY difficult feat/opponent here) and is tired, exhausted, and badly beaten, savoring his hard-fought victory. ''You think you know me...'' * guitar riff* '''ON THIS DAY! I SEE CLEARLY! EVERYTHING HAS COME TO LIFE!'''
Edge: [Running down the ramp with the Money In The Bank briefcase] I'M CASHING IT IN! I'M CASHING IT IN! RING THE DAMN BELL!
- The Wyatt Family's entrance starts with a Jump Scare that blacks out the arena and bombards the TV viewer's screen with a quick jumble of disturbing images before they enter.
- Actually, this happens fairly often. A guy's in the ring cutting a promo, only to be cut off by another wrestler's entrance music. (Especially effective if the wrestler's entrance music starts with an attention getting soundbyte, catchphrase, or Epic Riff.) The interrupted wrestler's reaction to this, depending on the context, can range from obvious annoyance to full-blown Oh Crap!. The resounding BONG and consequent darkness that preludes the entrance of The Undertaker being a prime example. This becomes hilarious in situations where a segment features multiple wrestlers (a build for a multi-man Elimination Chamber or Money In The Bank ladder match) where no one can finish a promo for all the entrance themes cutting them off mid-sentence.
- This trope is the reason no ring announcer could ever finish introducing Bad News Br...—WHOA!! [starts the match before troper can finish]note
- There is one wrestler who's become famous for popping up just about anywhere... AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!
- And I guess that's it for the wrestling part of this ar-
Teddy Long: Now, hold on, playa! Tonight, TV Tropes is going one on one with DA UNDATAKAH!
Teddy Long: And now it's gonna be a TAG TEAM MATCH!
- And half way through the match when Wikipedia and Kane get involved
- I was going on TV Tropes, thinking about how to add to the Warhammer 40,000 article, when suddenly I heard a rumbling sound. I looked around a bit, and concluded it must be coming from underneath the table my monitor was sitting on. I stood up and looked underneath the table, when, out of nowhere, a frakking Baneblade came out from under my computer, smashed it and the table, then shot up my modem and entire Chaos Space Marine army. How the hell did a 300 ton tank sneak underneath my computer? It would have to take some kind of tactical genius t- CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!
- It's also damn near impossible to discuss the Imperial Guard, and especially Commissars, witho-"HERESY!" *BLAM*
- Squats (essentially Space Dwarves) are infamous among the fandom. It is alleged that Games Workshop employ assassins to make their removal from canon stick, and merely bringing up their name ca
- There is an infamously terrible unit which shall not be named because otherwise you'll turn into one and being a Chaos Spawn suck-OH GOD I DIDN'T MENAW0RWHIOEFEFER9IGHERGVJKR
- The Truly Immovable Rod from Dungeons and Dragons, which, when interpreted as a rod that stays immobile as the world rotates around it, would frequentl- *CLANG* WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
- Or, for the more extreme version, activating it leaves it motionless on a Universal scale. The *CLANG*, in that case, is when a space station collides with it.
- Mass Effect's infamous Harbinger who goes on Assuming direct control .
- On some Mass Effect 2 message boards, Garrus' combat shouts "HEADSHOT!" and "Impressive!", due to his enthusiastic voice acting during combat, have also become memes, though obviously not to the extend of We are assuming control .
- Alongside that, Garrus also has "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of some calibrations." Even after the Romance Sidequest.
- Perhaps Commander Shepard can shed some light onI've had enough of your disingenuous assertions. SHEPARD PAUNCH!!!
- Shepard's 'I should go'. BioWare even made a shirt of it.
- Trombe from Super Robot Wars is so awesome that even his theme song can overpower any oth-TROMBE OVERRIDE!
- Star Wolf's "Can't let you [Verb] that, Star Fox!"
- If talking about I Wanna Be the Guy difficulty, you might hear about GAME OVER - PRESS 'R' TO TRY AGAIN
- When playing BlazBlue, it's important to remember thaBANG BANG BANG BAAAAAANG! BANINGU DAMASHIII!
- Did you forgGIGANTIC TAGER
- Red Dead Redemption: Several members of GameFAQs have started a trend where in the middle of their sentence they suddenly *cougar'd*
- Discussions about the Glitch Pokémon MissingNo start out well bUt sO)n b3c1e-♠◘♥‼K☺Tµî>#BÜ╕╫@⌠§-Ü
- After Rock Band 2 came out, one might fiSPOONMAN
- Killer Instinct has a memetically popular announcer who C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
- Dwarf Fortress player cancels example, interrupted by Rhesus Macaque.
- At one point (not anymore), "Urist McDwarf cancels thirsty, killed by a carp."
- It's changed again to "Urist McDwarf cancels fishing, shoved by sponge".
- Minecraft's Creepers have became popular as masc-SSSSSSSSSSSSS
- TOUHOU HIJACK LOL.
- Star Control: The Slylandro Probes would like to tell you that that they come in pea... PRIORITY OVERRIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED. MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS.
- League of Legends:
- Fiddlesticks just hit Level 6. Let's stay away from-CAWCAWCAWCAWCAWCAW
- Garen's missing. It's time to go ward that bush just in case-DEMACIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
- The Metal Gear franchise brings us the iconic Scare C—!
- Monster Hunter too has a Scar—!
- A common occurence in High- and G-Rank quests from Tri onwards is hunting a monster and th—! oh crap it's Deviljho!
- Many players are not fond of transport quests due to a single hit being all it takes to—(splat!) Wyvern Egg has broken!
- The series is particularly well-known for its high degree of diffi—You've fainted. Reward decreased by 4000z. Returning to camp...
- Dark Souls has a few examples such a—Invaded by dark spirit That Troper. ...oh, son of a— YOU DIED.
- When playing GoldenEye (1997), please be careful when tilting the c—GET DOWN, YURERU MAWARU FURERU SETSUNAAAAAI KIMOCHI, FUTARI DE ISSHO NI NEMURU WINTER LAAAAAANDnote
- Trying to play a Fighting Game at the arcadenote in one-player mode may be difficultnote becau—HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lends itself to this whenever you break the l—STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!
- Sonic the Hedgehog's underwater stages are notorious because when Sonic is about to drown, the current stage music is repl—5...4...3...2...1...0 (drown)
Shadow: You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not good enough to be my f—
- Some of the dialogue in Sonic Adventure 2 have characters interrupting each other's sentences right before they end it. Take the prelude of the first Sonic vs. Shadow fight for instance:
Sonic: I'll make you eat those words!
- DJMAX Technika 2 and 3 can be Nintendo Hard at times; being reduced to a sliver of your Life Meter can be a nerve-wrac—*CLANG* YOU FAILED.
- Begin! Super Hexagon is a game where you try to dodge Deadl—(zap!) GAME. OVER.
- In Hogan's Alley, the farther you get, the more difficult it beco...*BLAM!* *ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT!* The same thing goes for Wild Gunm...FIRE! *BLAM!* YOU LOSE!
- This applies for the "Quick Draw" minigame in Kirby's Adve....*FIRE!*, *BLAM!* as well as the Samurai Kirby minigame in Kirby Super...*!!*, *SLICE!*
- (presses power button) The original NES had a very bad tendency toooooooooooooooo... (presses reset button)
- Okay, let me try that again. The original NES had a very bad tenden....(blank screen...pink screen...blank screen...pink screen...)note
- Fans on Vine are known for taking clips from various media and e—Daisuke.note
- When playing beatmania IIDX, use your best judgement before setting the HARD or EX-HARD Life Meters or else—(pewwwwww) STAGE FAILED
- Playing DanceDanceRevolution with—(pow!)—the LIFE4—(pow!)—meter can be a—(pow!)—risky endeav—(clang) FAILED
- Also on DDR, look out for the Shock Arrows! Make sure your feet are not on the arrows when they pas—(z-zap!)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 brings us Thwomps, who like t—BA-BUM!
- One criticism of the Eastern RPG genre is the irritatingly frequent employment of Rando—(Fight Woosh!)
- While playing Cardinal Sins: Judgement Silversword Recycle Edition's Sloth stage, be careful with your shots when you see a 1-Up or else you might shoo—(boom) NO!
- Five Nights at Freddy's has its Jump Scare noise that you'll be hearing a lSKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
- Races in Daytona USA can get very cro—Try to go easy on the car!—can get very crowded, and opponent cars will constantly be trying to pa—Guard that rear bumper!—trying to pass you. The courses are also quite diff—Try to stay low on that turn!—are also quite difficult and the wrong approa—Careful! You'll melt the tires!—the wrong approach can send you into a wa—(CRASH!) You're all over the track! Let's see some control!
- Pump It Up attract mode—HEY! Why don't you just get up and dance man?
- Four new warriors make their debut in Street Fighter V, one of these characters has a theme song with vocals th-RAAAAAAAAAASHIIIIIIIIIIDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!note
- Brawl in the Family: Expecting more examples here? TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME.
- YTMND spawned a few:
- On 4chan and in similar circles, flash movies (usually NSFW ones) are occasionally "hooded", wherein the subject of the video has a crude MS Paint blackface imposed over them while DMX's "Where The Hood At" plays, usually just when it seems the viewer is about to see some boobs.
- The aptly-titled "WTF Boom". Here's a good example.
- It's not uncommon for someone to be in the middle of saying somethi— oh, crap! I just lost The Game!
- *is shot* is a widely popular meme, where the poster is presumably Killed Mid-Sentence for an unpopular opinion and/or overused meme. (For example, take a look at Wild Mass Guessing and run a search on "Time Lord".)
- Also happens on GameFAQs message boards quite often.
- In The Cinema Snob review of Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2, during the introduction he keeps getting interrupted with the well-known "GARBAGE DAY" clip. Which makes sense, seeing as that's really all anyone knows about that movie.
- EPICROLL :the cutscene: from REPLAYING :the game:. (The original cuts off after one loop.)
- Imitating heart attacks is another popular interrupt which is found commonly on Image Boards; one particular usage, originating from Katawa Shoujo, involves finding something so overwhelmingly Moe tha-HNNNNNNNNNNG~
- On GameFAQs, suddenly... NINJAS! Hundreds of them!
- In the comments on the humor blog You Suck at Craigslist, whenever the discussion turns to zomb
- Every time someone mentions UltraFARK, Drew gives you a be+++CARRIER LOST+++
- Blah blah extremely important Social Justice Crusade stuff blah.
- Fandom Wank is an excellent site where a lot of interesting threads can be found. More importantly, though, what are your thoughts on yaoi?
- In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Versus, Kaepora Gaebora (the owl) will occasionally interrupt them to tell the audience "I'M AN OWL."
- And whenever people discuss Welcome to Night Vale, there's always a risALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. ALL HAIL.
- Thanks to Game Grumps, we can always-oh hey, Big Zam!
- The series only featured THE HYPNOTOAD as a throwaway gag, but ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
- Those windmills will keep them coolWINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!
- Anyone speaking of Freakazoid!'s Candle Jack is likely not to finish his sentence... Hey, whaddaya know, I'm perfectly fine.note
- If you've seen Up, then you probably— SQUIRREL!
- The Simpsons: "So I says to Maybel, 'Maybel,' I says... hang on, I'll finish this later" [...] "So I says to Maybel..."
- Family Guy:
- If you hang around long enough, you may...*five minutes of epic fighting with an anthropomorphic chicken later*... anyway, you might see Peter getting sidetracked by some random throwback to an earlier episode.
- That's worse than that time Peter recalled something that happened to him before.
- Mega Man: Gutsman's Ass is everywhere! DUN-DUN!!!!
- There was a minor Running Gag in Mission Hill about a guy who... Penis penis penis penis.
- Thanks to My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, any and all topics will be derailed when someone—and then I said, "Oatmeal, are you crazy?"
- And then came the Sweetie Belle "Derelle", aptly nicknamed because AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
- Pinkie Pie often does this.
- There's also that time New Zealand's listing for "Winter Wrap Up" was suddenly TWILIGHT SPARKLE.◊
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Long ago, you could begin a long, sweeping tale of an epic legend in hushed tones and without interruption. Then one day, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked!
- From the Bugs Bunny short "The Wild and Wooly Hare"!
Yosemite Sam:...I'm the fastest gun north, south, east, AAAAAAAAAAND west of the Pecos! I'm the...Bugs Bunny: Ehhhhhhhhhh SHADDUP!!
- Maya & Miguel takes this to its "concluso más extrema en su" attempt to appeal to the viewers "bilingües Latinoamericanos" who often switch between "Inglés y" Spanish when they regularly "comunicar entre ellos, pero por último" just comes off as being annoying, especially since it usually plays this trope for "risas" at any "oportunidad" it gets.
- We'd talk about the vuvuzelas at World Cup 2010, but BZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZBZZZZ
- The ZX Spectrum USENET newsgroup often has particularly embarrassing statem3w587fuN^NO&*IULYBvilu£%b6viaby5i+++NO CARRIER+++
- This is most certainly a remnant of the era of FidoNet and similar messaging networks, connected via BBSes before the advent of the Internet. Users usually connected to a BBS via a phone line (one phone line, one user) and they could usually write messages on forums directly on their terminal emulation software instead of using an off-line, separate program. When they were typing the message and the line got suddenly noisy, the software interpreted the line noise as random characters. The "NO CARRIER" was the standard modem response after an interrupted connection; whether the text ended being part of the message or not depended on the software, but it always appeared in the console of the interrupted user; hence the meme.
- This was later picked up by Slashdot.
- Attention Deficit Disorder, and the jokes about it like for example "They say I have ADD, but they don't understa—SQUIRREL!" and its varia—Ooh Shiny!.
- This probably has happened to most people when they were kids.
Kid 1: Knock KnockKid 2: Who's There?Kid 1: Interrupting Cow.Kid 2: Interrupting Cow w—Kid 1: MOO!
- Windows is known by many users for periodically having programs ha..........................tvtropes.exe has stopped working...
- Android has similar issues with its soft—Unfortunately, TV Tropes has stopped.
- Any and all TV broadcasts have been subject to this whenever a major or otherwise serious news event—"We interrupt our regularly scheduled trope entry to bring you this special report"..."This concludes our special report. We now resume our regularly scheduled trope entry."—occurs.
- There's also those people who interrupt TV news reporters broadcasting live to yell things like "Baba Booey!"
- "I was sitting on the front porch, grabbed a beer, and fuck her right in the pussy." This particular line became popular in 2014, especially during The World Cup.
- CONNELRAD and its successors, the Emergency Broadcast System, and the Emergency Alert System whenever they are tested. Originally occurring (usually) during commercial breaks, these days, the tests can happen at any...........*BZZZZZZZZZZ!* *BZZZZZZZZZZ!* *BZZZZZZZZZZ!*note *A required weekly / monthly test of the Emergency Alert System has been issued for the following areas / counties [list of areas / counties is shown] until [cutoff time].*note *BZZZ!" *BZZZ!* *BZZZ!*
- Telemarketers may as well be...
[phone rings]"Uh, hello?""Hello! Is this the troper editing this entry?""Uh, yes..."CONGRATULATIONS, YOU MAY HAVE JUST WON A MILLION DOLLARS...!!note[hangs up phone]
[doorbell rings]"Oh, I'll get it!""AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Their spiritual predecessors...
- ...door-to-door salespeoplenote .
- George W. Bush is well-known for, among other things, one of the presidential debates he had with Joh—Well actually, he forgot Poland.
- Many movie theaters will have a pre-screening short that looks like a dramatic, serene, or romantic scene out of some movie, only for the scene to be rui—(beepbeepbeepbeepbeep!) Please turn off your cellphones.
- So you're just sitting on a plane flight relaxing with your seat belt unfastened and—(ding!) Ladies and gentlemen, the "fasten seat belt" sign has been switched on.
- For a while, Avast Antivirus was infamous for its obnoxious update mess—(di-ding!) Virus database has been updated.
- Anyone who breaks the law will be subject to this trope sooner or later once the police catch up to them. One of many instances is when the police spot the car they're dri—OKAY, BUDDY! PULL OVER!!note
—ng Article who?