A particular form of Memetic Mutation
, generally taking the form of an article, video or similar, in which the subject at hand gets flipped, turned upside-down, so I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how--
...er, sorry. The subject at hand is overtaken by the meme, to the surprise and chagrin of the viewer. Sometimes these memes go as far as interrupting other
memes. (One assumes that should any of these memes face off against each other, the universe would end
See also Bait and Switch
. The original topic may be left with No Ending
. If the original topic was boring anyway, the interruption may serve as a Drop the Cow
open/close all folders
- MORNING RESCUE! (Especially combined with Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And especially in the role of Big Damn Heroes.)
- The first Energizer Bunny ad campaign had the drumming toy rabbit, who was still going, march his way through other (fake) commer—"Still going! Nothing outlasts the Energizer. They keep going, and going...".
- Old Spice similarly interrupts other (fake) commercials, claiming that it's too powerful to let an ad-break end. (It's probably supposed to run in conjunction with another Old Spice ad, but sometimes it's played in isolation.)
Anime and Manga
- On the TV Tropes forum, any discussion can get derailed into an Evangelion discussion at any moment because EVANGELION DERAIL: This thread is now about Evangelion.
- People referencing the second Darker Than Black opening will often UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
- When discussing Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you sh-*CHOMP*
- And don't lose your head over it either, mmm'kay? ◕ ‿‿ ◕
- Kara no Kyoukai: Touko is a dirty red bitc
- There's also Rozen Maiden which- DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU!
- Magic: The Gathering:
- Time Stop! note
- The Scornful Egotist is a creature spell that, despite its flagrantly bad effect, has gathered something of a ALL HAIL THE GREAT LORD EGOTIST.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! interrupting me—"Not so fast! You've activated my trap card!"
- Final Crisis: Due to The Anti-Life Equation running through all of humanity, some fans have beguALL IS ONE IN DARKSEID.
- Superman Returns: Superman will nev-''WROOOOOONNNG!!!!''
- Sometimes, when talking about Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, people tend tWE ARE SEX BOB-OMB, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!!!
- Inception's BWOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGG
- It's more obscure, but The Terminator seriWHERE IS SARAH CONNOR
- Rocky Horror Picture Show: I see you shiver with antici—SAY IT!—pation!
- The much maligned horror film The Devil Inside has its infamous lack of en- The events of this entry have never been fully explained. Visit tvtropes.org or more information on the ongoing investigation.
- After the scene in Wreck-It Ralph where the audience learns the origin of the Arc Words "going Turbo" Explanation , animated pictures started popping up of Turbo interrupting other video games involving vehicles, driving by with his smug grin and his catch-phrase "Turbo-tastic!"
- As demonstrated above, a video or story getting "Bel-Air'd" (the topic at hand getting interrupted by the Expository Themetune of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) is a common form of this. Frequently takes the form of a story segueing into how the writer got into one little fight and his mom got scared, and so on and so forth. Eventually, this became so prevalent that my mom got scared, and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air". I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "Nah, forget it; yo Holmes, to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby "Yo Holmes, smell you later!" I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there! Sittin' on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
- Monty Python: Sometimes, when you least expect - NOOOOOOOOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
- Alternately, squished by a giant cartoon foot.
- A knight in full armour who hits the person who is talking with a dead chicken, thus ending the sketch.
- Of course, the colonel, who interrupts the sketch and ends it because it is too silly.
- And now, for something completely different...
- Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated shows these days, but one version of the "Walk of Punishment" episode cuts the sound out early in favor of the end credits, drowning out A BEAR THERE WAS, A BEAR, A BEAR!
- On El Chavo del ocho, when he gets really annoyed with somebody (usually either El Chavo or La Chilindrina), Don Ramón (or sometimes another character) will sometimes (ˇFuera de aqui!note ) but...(ˇFuera de aqui!) but I...(ˇFuera!) but...(ˇFuera!) but...(ˇFuera!)...
- This also occurs in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but is especially prevalent in the pin-"Thank you, Mr. Data".
- A Rickroll can occasionally take this form. This includes a certain Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade appearance.
- As the current page image shows, the Kanye West "Imma let you finish" meme is sometimes used in this-Yo Troper! I'm real happy for ya, and imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest pages of all time! ONE OF THE GREATEST PAGES OF ALL TIME!!!!-fashion.
- Was (Not Was): Sometimes, people will start to write a post, but then their parents will open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.
- The Monster Mash is occasionally used as an alternative to the Bel-Air theme song.
- MC Hammer: STOP! HAMMER TIME!
- Vanilla Ice: STOP! Collaborate and listen!'
- I was going on TV Tropes, thinking about how to add to the Warhammer 40,000 article, when suddenly I heard a rumbling sound. I looked around a bit, and concluded it must be coming from underneath the table my monitor was sitting on. I stood up and looked underneath the table, when, out of nowhere, a frakking Baneblade came out from under my computer, smashed it and the table, then shot up my modem and entire Chaos Space Marine army. How the hell did a 300 ton tank sneak underneath my computer? It would have to take some kind of tactical genius t- CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!
- It's also damn near impossible to discuss the Imperial Guard, and especially Commissars, witho-"HERESY!" *BLAM*
- Squats (essentially Space Dwarves) are infamous among the fandom. It is alleged that Games Workshop employ assassins to make their removal from canon stick, and merely bringing up their name ca
- There is an infamously terrible unit which shall not be named because otherwise you'll turn into one and being a Chaos Spawn suck-OH GOD I DIDN'T MENAW0RWHIOEFEFER9IGHERGVJKR
- The Truly Immovable Rod from Dungeons and Dragons, which, when interpreted as a rod that stays immobile as the world rotates around it, would frequentl- *CLANG* WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
- Or, for the more extreme version, activating it leaves it motionless on a Universal scale. The *CLANG*, in that case, is when a space station collides with it.
- Mass Effect's infamous Harbinger who goes on Assuming direct control .
- On some Mass Effect 2 message boards, Garrus' combat shouts "HEADSHOT!" and "Impressive!", due to his enthusiastic voice acting during combat, have also become memes, though obviously not to the extend of We are assuming control .
- Alongside that, Garrus also has "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of some calibrations." Even after the Romance Sidequest.
- Perhaps Commander Shepard can shed some light onI've had enough of your disingenuous assertions. SHEPARD PAUNCH!!!
- Shepard's 'I should go'. BioWare even made a shirt of it.
- Trombe from Super Robot Wars is so awesome that even his theme song can overpower any oth-TROMBE OVERRIDE!
- It's worth noting that this meme is not mutated from its original form at all. Thanks to an Ascended Glitch in the games themselves, every time Elzam engages in battle, Trombe will override even the most dramatic final boss music.
- With the exceptions to this rule being the Blue Danube and Despair
- Star Wolf's "Can't let you [Verb] that, Star Fox!"
- If talking about I Wanna Be the Guy difficulty, you might hear about GAME OVER - PRESS 'R' TO TRY AGAIN
- When playing BlazBlue, it's important to remember thaBANG BANG BANG BAAAAAANG! BANINGU DAMASHIII!
- Red Dead Redemption: Several members of GameFAQs have started a trend where in the middle of their sentence they suddenly *cougar'd*
- Discussions about the Glitch Pokémon MissingNo start out well bUt sO)n b3c1e-♠◘♥‼K☺Tµî>#BÜ╕╫@⌠§-Ü
- After Rock Band 2 came out, one might fiSPOONMAN
- Killer Instinct has a memetically popular announcer who C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
- Dwarf Fortress player cancels example, interrupted by Rhesus Macaque.
- At one point (not anymore), "Urist McDwarf cancels thirsty, killed by a carp."
- It's changed again to "Urist McDwarf cancels fishing, shoved by sponge".
- Minecraft's Creepers have became popular as masc-SSSSSSSSSSSSS
- TOUHOU HIJACK LOL.
- Star Control: The Slylandro Probes would like to tell you that that they come in pea... PRIORITY OVERRIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED. MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS.
- League of Legends:
- Fiddlesticks just hit Level 6. Let's stay away from-CAWCAWCAWCAWCAWCAW
- Garen's missing. It's time to go ward that bush just in case-DEMACIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: The game's Variable Mix soundtrack sometimes cuts to different parts of a song to match the action, so a particularly awesome moment might sudd- RULES OF NATURE!
- When playing Golden Eye 1997, please be careful when tilting the c—GET DOWN, YURERU MAWARU FURERU SETSUNAAAAAI KIMOCHI, FUTARI DE ISSHO NI NEMURU WINTER LAAAAAANDnote
- Trying to play a Fighting Game at the arcadenote in one-player mode may be difficultnote becau—HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
- Sonic the Hedgehog's underwater stages are notorious because when Sonic is about to drown, the current stage music is repl—5...4...3...2...1...0 (drown)
- DJMAX Technika 2 and 3 can be Nintendo Hard at times; being reduced to a sliver of your Life Meter can be a nerve-wrac—*CLANG* YOU FAILED.
- Begin! Super Hexagon is a game where you try to dodge Deadl—(zap!) GAME. OVER.
- In Hogan's Alley, the farther you get, the more difficult it beco...*BLAM!* *ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT!* The same thing goes for Wild Gunm...FIRE! *BLAM!* YOU LOSE!
- This applies for the "Quick Draw" minigame in Kirby's Adve....*FIRE!*, *BLAM!* as well as the Samurai Kirby minigame in Kirby Super...*!!*, *SLICE!*
- (presses power button) The original NES had a very bad tendency toooooooooooooooo... (presses reset button)
- Okay, let me try that again. The original NES had a very bad tenden....(blank screen...pink screen...blank screen...pink screen...)note
- YTMND spawned a few:
- On 4chan and in similar circles, flash movies (usually NSFW ones) are occasionally "hooded", wherein the subject of the video has a crude MS Paint blackface imposed over them while DMX's "Where The Hood At" plays, usually just when it seems the viewer is about to see some boobs.
- The aptly-titled "WTF Boom". Here's a good example.
- It's not uncommon for someone to be in the middle of saying somethi— oh, crap! I just lost The Game!
- *is shot* is a widely popular meme, where the poster is presumably Killed Mid-Sentence for an unpopular opinion and/or overused meme. (For example, take a look at Wild Mass Guessing and run a search on "Time Lord".)
- Also happens on GameFAQs message boards quite often.
- In The Cinema Snob review of Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2, during the introduction he keeps getting interrupted with the well-known "GARBAGE DAY" clip. Which makes sense, seeing as that's really all anyone knows about that movie.
- EPICROLL :the cutscene: from REPLAYING :the game:. (The original cuts off after one loop.)
- Imitating heart attacks is another popular interrupt which is found commonly on Image Boards; one particular usage, originating from Katawa Shoujo, involves finding something so overwhelmingly Moe tha-HNNNNNNNNNNG~
- On GameFAQs, suddenly... NINJAS! Hundreds of them!
- In the comments on the humor blog You Suck at Craigslist, whenever the discussion turns to zomb
- Also on YSaC, there is a meme potentially related to Hypno-Toads, spawned by th- ALL HAIL HYPNO-DOGS!
- Every time someone mentions UltraFARK, Drew gives you a be+++CARRIER LOST+++
- Blah blah extremely important Social Justice Crusade stuff blah.
- Fandom Wank is an excellent site where a lot of interesting threads can be found. More importantly, though, what are your thoughts on yaoi?
- In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Versus, Kaepora Gaebora (the owl) will occasionally interrupt them to tell the audience "I'M AN OWL."
- And whenever people discuss Welcome to Night Vale, there's always a risALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. ALL HAIL.
- Thanks to Game Grumps, we can always-oh hey, Big Zam!
- The series only featured THE HYPNOTOAD as a throwaway gag, but ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
- Those windmills will keep them coolWINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!
- Anyone speaking of Freakazoid!'s Candle Jack is likely not to finish his sentence... Hey, whaddaya know, I'm perfectly fine.note
- If you've seen Up, then you probably— SQUIRREL!
- The Simpsons: "So I says to Maybel, 'Maybel,' I says... hang on, I'll finish this later" [...] "So I says to Maybel..."
- Family Guy:
- Mega Man: Gutsman's Ass is everywhere! DUN-DUN!!!!
- There was a minor Running Gag in Mission Hill about a guy who... Penis penis penis penis.
- Thanks to My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, any and all topics will be derailed when someone—and then I said, "Oatmeal, are you crazy?"
- And then came the Sweetie Belle "Derelle", aptly nicknamed because AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
- Pinkie Pie often does this.
- There's also that time New Zealand's listing for "Winter Wrap Up" was suddenly TWILIGHT SPARKLE.◊
- Long ago, you could begin a long, sweeping tale of an epic legend in hushed tones and without interruption. Then one day, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked!
- We'd talk about the vuvuzelas at World Cup 2010, but BZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZZBZZZBZZZZ
- The ZX Spectrum USENET newsgroup often has particularly embarrassing statem3w587fuN^NO&*IULYBviluŁ%b6viaby5i+++NO CARRIER+++
- This is most certainly a remnant of the era of Fido Net and similar messaging networks, conected via BB Ses before the advent of the Internet. Users usually connected to a BBS via a phone line (one phone line, one user) and they could usually write messages on forums directly on their terminal emulation software instead of using an off-line, separate program. When they were typing the message and the line got suddenly noisy, the software interpreted the line noise as random characters. The "NO CARRIER" was the standard modem response after an interrupted connection; whether the text ended being part of the message or not depended on the software, but it always appeared in the console of the interrupted user; hence the meme.
- This was later picked up by Slashdot
- Attention Deficit Disorder, and the jokes about it like for example "They say I have ADD, but they don't understa- SQUIRREL!" and its varia- Ooh Shiny!.
- This probably has happened to most people when they were kids.
Kid 1: Knock Knock
Kid 2: Who's There?
Kid 1: Interupting Cow.
Kid 2: Interupting Cow w-
Kid 1: MOO!
- Windows is known by many users for periodically having programs ha..........................tvtropes.exe has stopped working...
- Any and all TV broadcasts have been subject to this whenever a major or otherwise serious news event- "We interrupt our regularly scheduled trope entry to bring you this special report"..."This concludes our special report. We now resume our regularly scheduled trope entry." -occurs.
- CONNELRAD and its successors, the Emergency Broadcast System, and the Emergency Alert System whenever they are tested. Originally occurring (usually) during commercial breaks, these days, the tests can happen at any...........*BZZZZZZZZZZ!* *BZZZZZZZZZZ!* *BZZZZZZZZZZ!*note *A required weekly / monthly test of the Emergency Alert System has been issued for the following areas / counties [list of areas / counties is shown] until [cutoff time].*note *BZZZ!" *BZZZ!* *BZZZ!*
- Telemarketers may as well be...
"Hello! Is this the troper editing this entry?"
CONTRATULATIONS, YOU MAY HAVE JUST WON A MILLION DOLLARS...!!note
[hangs up phone]
- Their spiritual predecessors...
"Oh, I'll get it!"
- ...door-to-door salespeoplenote .
--ng Article who?