Useful Notes: John Kerry
Barack Obama. He was a United States senator (D-MA) from 1985 to 2013, and was chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, in which position he was preceded by Joe Biden. Kerry was the presidential nominee of the Democratic Party in the 2004 presidential election, but lost to President George W. Bush. In 2013, he was appointed Secretary of State to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Tropes on John Kerry:
- Badass: Won the Silver Star and Three Purple Hearts.
- Brutal Honesty: His testimony to the Senate on behalf of Vietnam veterans for peace is full of this.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Took a lot of flack over the Dan Quayle joke, and wound up apologizing to the then-Senator.
- History Repeats: He was lieutenant governor to Michael Dukakis, who lost to George H.W. Bush in 1988, 16 years before Kerry would lose to the younger Bush.
- Sarcasm Failure: The way the Syria chemical weapons issue was resolved. Paraphrased: "Sure, there are other solutions to the Syria chemical weapons issue. Like if Russia stepped up to the plate and took care of it." Sure enough, the next day, what does the Russian Foreign Ministry announce... (and it worked!)
- Theme Initials: John Forbes Kerry: He even made a few John F. Kennedy jokes in 2004.
- The Vietnam War: A participant in it, Kerry spent years afterward denouncing it. The latter part may have lost him the 2004 election with the Swift Boat Veterans attacking him over it.
- In fact, Kerry was the first Vietnam veteran to appear before Congress and speak out against the war.