A character declares him- or herself to be the sole representative of a group or abstract concept. The implication is often that they believe that they can speak for the entirety, and that their needs, wants, and thoughts and those of the group are one and the same.
Will usually come in the form of someone asking about X, with another character replying that they are
Not to be confused with Screw the Rules, I Make Them!
. Unrelated to I Am the Band
See also A God Am I
, Badass Boast
and I'm Your Worst Nightmare
. Not to be confused with Spell My Name with a "The"
. A phrase like this is usually spoken with copious amounts of punctuation
. Said phrases might also be lyrics to an "I Am" Song
Compare Verb This!
I am the examples!
open/close all folders
I Am Advertising
- Australian company Quicksilver Cruises claims, "Quicksilver is the Great Barrier Reef."
- Charter Internet has introduced Timothy, who IS the Internet.
We Are Anime & Manga
We Are Comic Books
- "I am the law" is a Catch Phrase of Judge Dredd.
- In the Marvel Universe, Galactic Conqueror Thanos delivers a perfect one after having achieved Godhood.
Thanos: My skills, my power, are more than a body can provide! I move with the cosmos, held only by thought and never by flesh! I am Thanos, emperor of the universe! I AM the universe!
- Marvel's cosmic characters tend to love this in general:
- Darkseid IS.
- In BIONICLE:
: You think you know horror, Irnakk
? Horror is looking into the eyes of the Shadowed One, knowing you are about to die... and then being forced to live. Horror is waking each day to see every part of your body moving on its own - a shifting mass of Protodites where once was solid metal and living tissue. Horror is what is in the eyes of your partners when they look at you... and in the cries of your enemies when your swarm engulfs them. Don't talk to me
about fear, creature - I am
- Later, when Big Bad Makuta manages to successfully pull off his Gambit Roulette and become a Physical God, he tells the heroes, "No longer must I fight you in hopes of controlling a universe. I AM THE UNIVERSE!" Justified in that he actually is the universe.
- Earlier than that, when Makuta was confronted by The Mole of the Barraki - who claimed that under the Brotherhood Law, he has to be spared - right before he "spared" the Mole, Makuta's response was "Under Brotherhood law? I am Brotherhood law!"
- Before any of that, in 2001, as part of his speech when the Toa come to destroy him (destroy being The Makuta's word here):
I am destruction.
- In Uncanny X-Men #423 Wolverine says "when it comes to mutants, we are the police!"
- In One Hundred Bullets, Augustus Medici, the head of The Trust, is staring out his hotel window at the lights of the city below. He says they make him happy. The call girl in his room, wondering why, asks if he works for the power company. His response: "Work? No. I am the power company."
- The adaptation of the Batman movie has this:
Mugger: You don't own the night!
Batman: I am the night.
- From Batman: The Dark Knight Returns:
Batman: Tonight we are the law. Tonight I am the law. Let's ride.
- In Dark Empire, Palpatine declares, "I've played along with your Jedi dueling games long enough! Now you will experience my full potency... I live as energy... I am The Dark Side!"
- Vol 9 of the comic adaptation of Ninjago Masters Of Spinjitzu has Zane boasting this as he attacks Jay.
Zane: I am power.
We Are Fan Works
We Are Animated Films
: Don't you understand? It's for the good of the colony! (killing all the worker ants
Z: What are you saying? We are the colony.
: (Shoved aside by Cutter
, what are you doing?!
Cutter: Something I should have done, long ago. This is for the good of the colony.
You useless, ungrateful maggot! I
AM THE COLONY!
- Scar in The Lion King: "I AM THE KING!"
- From The Nightmare Before Christmas: "I am the Pumpkin King!"
- Cat R. Waul from An American Tail: Fievel Goes West says something along these lines.
Cat R. Waul: "Simply put, mouseling, I am the law here, and you are a mere hors d'ouevre."
- Cars "Speed. I am speed."
- Cars 2: "Then Francesco is triple speed."
- In Rugrats in Paris, Coco Labouche does this after Mr. Yamaguchi
fires "dismisses" her.
Coco Labouche: "No one fires Coco Labouche, Coco Labouche fires others! COCO LABOUCHE IS EUROREPTAR!!"
We Are Live-Action Films
- Judge Dredd contains his catchphrase (see the page quote), which he uses to attempt to scare a group of criminals into turning themselves in. It nearly works, but the gang members ultimately end up firing at him, forcing him to attack.
- Also done in the second adaptation titled Dredd but much less Hammy.
Judge Dredd: Ma-Ma's not the law. I am the law.
- In Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine says "I am the Senate!" Windu rebuffs him with "Not yet."
- This is also the name of an awesome song on John Williams' soundtrack for the film.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Davy Jones is informed by one of his Mooks that Will must have been claimed by the sea, to which he replies "I am the sea!"
- Chariots of Fire. Eric Liddel is trying to avoid running on Sunday and a friend makes a place for this. When one of the English grandees questions the legality of this, another says:
That's a matter for the committee.
Then a third says "We ARE the committee".
- RoboCop (1987): "We practically ARE the military!"
- Comes back to bite Robo in the ass too: "You thought you could just stroll in here and arrest me? You're product!
- The 1990s TV movie Kingfish starred John Goodman as Governor Huey P. Long of Louisiana (on whom Willie Stark of All The King's Men was also based), and featured a scene where Goodman, in a Dixie accent similar to the one he had in O Brother, Where Art Thou?, bellowed "I am the constitution of the State of Louisiana!".
- The Princess Bride:
Miracle Max: Beat it, or I'll call the Brute Squad!
Fezzik: I'm on the Brute Squad!
Miracle Max (surveying the giant Fezzik): You are the Brute Squad!
- "This ship IS England", Captain Jack Aubrey in Master and Commander.
- Big Boy Caprice in Dick Tracy:
- "I offer you the keys to the kingdom, and you tell me you're an officer of the law! I AM THE LAW!"
- Defied in Iron Man. After Tony declares his intent to run his company with "more responsibility and consideration for the country's greatest good", a reporter shows him pictures of Stark Industries weapons in enemy hands, accusing him of hypocrisy.
Tony: I didn't approve any shipments
Reporter: Well, your company did.
Tony: Well I'm NOT my company.
- Queen Elizabeth I. in Fire Over England (1937): "Then let me speak for all of you — for I am England."
- In Tropic Thunder, when Jay Baruchel confronts his co-stars about whether or not they know the script, the ridiculously deep in-character Kirk Lazarus declares "I am the script!".
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984):
Freddy Krueger: [brandishes his glove] "THIS...is God!"
- Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth: During the scene in the church near the end, Pinhead corrupts a bible verse after his mock creation of crucifixion stigmata.
Pinhead: I am the way!
Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain.
- In Star Trek: First Contact Data and the Borg Queen discuss this about the Queen's statement of "I am the Borg". Data asks if this means she is their leader, so she replies, "I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many. I am the Borg." To which Data replies, "An interesting, if cryptic, response." Given that the Borg Queen is apparently a personification of the Borg's collective intelligence, her statement was true.
- In Raiders of the Lost Ark, as Indiana Jones is menacing to shoot a rocket at the Ark of the Covenant:
Belloq: Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This [points at ark], this * is* history.
- "I AM RIPPER! TEARER! SLASHER! GOUGER! I AM THE TEETH IN THE DARKNESS! THE TALONS IN THE NIGHT! MINE IS STRENGTH! AND LUST! AND POWER! I AM BEOWULF!"
- "I AM RIPPER! TEARER! SLASHER! GOUGER! I AM THE TEETH IN THE DARKNESS! THE TALONS IN THE NIGHT! I AM THE POWERFUL WAVES OF THE OCEAN! THE MIGHTY WIND IN THE AIR THAT BRINGS THE SOFT BREEZE IN THE MORNING? the, I am the, Dew upon the flowers that glisten in the sunlight?? The pleasant scent of freshly cut grass???, The giver of presents to small children, Igivehugswhennooneelsewillgivehugs. Mine is kindness and sweetness and cheer… i'm beowulf"
- The Siege:
William Devereaux: I am the law. Right here, right now, I am the law!
- Blades of Glory:
Charles Michael Michaels: I am ice skating!
- The Last Detail
Bartender: Beat it, before I call the shore patrol.
Budusky: I am the fucking shore patrol!
- Jackboots on Whitehall. The hero Chris bemoans the fact that he's not allowed to join the military because the government says his hands are too big to fit in a trigger guard. Winston Churchill declares "I am the government!"
- He is the Wild Bunch
- "I am Jerusalem." [Proceeds to bitch slap someone till they bleed.]
- "I know everything! I AM EVERYTHING!"
- Ramses in The Ten Commandments: "I am Egypt."
- Echoed, aptly enough, by Ramses in The Prince of Egypt: "I am the morning and the evening star..."
- In Airheads, as Chazz and his band first take Rebel Radio hostage:
Hey, we're all rock 'n' rollers here?
(pointing a plastic Uzi
) You look like half a butt puppet
! Do you know what it's like to be on the bill and to play for 15 minutes and the only people there to see you are the other bands and their girlfriends? Don't talk to me about Rock 'n' Roll! I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I AM ROCK 'N' ROLL!
- In The Dark Knight Rises we get this exchange:
Bane: ...and you betrayed us.
Batman: "Us"? You were excommunicated by a gang of psychopaths.
- In the infamous plane scene, CIA introduces himself this way.
CIA: Dr. Pavel, I'm CIA.
- In Wishmaster, Alexandra wishes to know what the Djinn's nature is. He takes her to his hell-like home dimension, and tells her in a very evil Badass Boast.
Djinn: You wish to know what I am? To you, I am this: The cry of the abandoned child. The whimper of the whipped beast. I am the face that stares back at you from the shadowed mirror. The hollowness at the heart of all your hopes, Alexandra. I AM DESPAIR.
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me—Jacques: "I am the Great Went." Laura: "I AM the Muffin." "And what a muffin you've got, eh!"
- Man from Another Place: "Do you know who I am? I am the arm..."
- The Stunt Man.
Cameron: "Hey, I know you. You're in the movies."
Nina: "I *am* the movies."
- Before Erik in The Phantom of the Opera (1989) gives Christine the ring that marks her his, he tells her that "You love the music. I am the music."
- Smaug's boast as he goes off to attack Laketown in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Smaug: I am fire. I am... death.
- Used in this exchange from Man-Thing between the heroic sheriff and a Corrupt Corporate Executive:
Kyle: We'll take this to the county.
Frederic: I am the county!
- In the final scene of A Face in the Crowd, Lonesome Rhodes, drunk in more ways than one, makes a big speech in his hotel suite, punctuated with outbursts of canned applause, about himself as the champion of the American people, culminating in a Third-Person Person shout: "Lonesome Rhodes is the people! The people is Lonesome Rhodes!"
I Am Literature
- From The Bible:
- Stephen Colbert: I Am America (And So Can You!).
- Piers Anthony's Xanth series
I will send you Torus's worst dream!
I AM Torus's worst dream!
- Discworld: Death's phrase, "There is no Justice, There is just Me."
- From Men at Arms:
Assassin: Who are you?
Vimes: The Law, you sons of bitches!
- From Hogfather:
Jonathan Teatime: So I'd rather you didn't try any last-minute stuff.
Death: I AM Last Minute Stuff.
- From the short story "Theater of Cruelty":
Carrot: You see, sir, as I understand the law, you are an Accessory After The Fact. Or possibly Before The Fact.
Death: Young man, I AM the fact.
- From Sourcery:
The Archchancelor's Hat: I challenge. And those who will not face me must follow me, in accordance with the Lore.
Wizard: Whereabouts in the Lore?
The Archchancelor's Hat: I embody the Lore.
- From Thud!:
Vetinari: If you go after them, there could be far reaching consequences.
Vimes: As far as they are concerned, I am far-reaching consequences.
- Rand al'Thor from The Wheel of Time: "Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan!"
- I Am the Cheese.
- In The Thrawn Trilogy, the Noghri object to their sovereign Grand Admiral Thrawn breaking their rules by having a commando under suspicion taken to his ship rather than being tried by their elders. He doesn't like this. He doesn't like this at all. In fact, when the maitrakh keeps protesting he reminds them of what it means to defy the Empire by ordering an airstrike on the hills around him - and on Honoghr, where most of the planet is barren, this is really bad.
"I am the law on Honoghr now, maitrakh. If I choose to follow the ancient laws, I will follow them. If I choose to ignore them, they will be ignored. Is that clear?"
- Also, when Pellaeon is concerned that the mad C'baoth is breaking away from The Empire, C'baoth retorts "I am the Empire".
- There's a point in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor where Luke responds to someone's cry with "Yes, I am the Jedi. And I hope I can help." At this point in time, of course, he basically is the entirety of the Jedi; there are a few survivors of Order Sixty-Six, but they're not involving themselves in major events. The context makes his declaration here somewhat similar to how the Doctor introduces himself.
- The Warden of Marshwood Hill in Martin the Warrior: "I am the Law!" There's also a snake that declares "I am death to all beastssssss!"
- From the Sword of Truth series:
Drefan: You don't even have your weapon.
Richard: I am the weapon.
- From Prince Caspian, the werewolf boasts - "I am hunger. I am thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die" - and goes on.
- Neil Gaiman's American Gods: Shadow asks Czernobog (who is smoking a cigarette) if he's frightened of getting cancer. Czernobog scoffs, "I AM cancer. I do not frighten myself."
- Kelsier and later Vin in Mistborn: "I am Hope."
- Unsurprisingly, Ruin gets in on it too. "I am mountains that crush. I am waves that crash. I am storms that scatter. I am the end. ...I am Ruin."
- However, Ruin does it differently from the other two...because he's not boasting. He is those things.
- In Ethan of Athos, when interviewing the telepathic Terrance Cee for possible recruitment:
Elli: Of course not. Not on our own people.
Terrance: Lady, when this thing is activated, I am the other people.
- In the RCN story The Way to Glory, Daniel becomes aware of an Alliance spy and sets a trap for him with Adele's help. When it goes badly — the spy is killed and the admiral he was duping forms a grudge against Daniel and Adele — he frets that perhaps he should've instead reported the matter to the proper authorities. Adele points out that as an agent of Cinnabar's intelligence service, "I am the proper authorities," and nothing the admiral says will outweigh Adele's report on the incident.
- Sherlock Holmes on his brother Mycroft:
"You are right in thinking that he is under the British Government. You would also be right in a sense if you said that occasionally he is the British Government.”
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo:
"I am the law, and I am the judge! I am the oppressed, and there is the oppressor!..."
- Animorphs: Aldrea tries this with Ax and the gang "I am hork-bajir!" Ax doesn't buy it, still seeing her as an Andalite in Hork-bajir form.
- In Warrior Cats, Tigerstar tries to declare himself the sole representative of ShadowClan. It doesn't really work out for him...
- "I am the people--the mob--the crowd--the mass. Do you know that all the great work of the world is done through me?"
- In The Throne of Fire, the second book of The Kane Chronicles, Apophis declares "I am chaos itself."
- Sylphrena in The Stormlight Archives. "I am honorspren".note
I Am Live-Action TV
- In Series/Doctor Who the Doctor says this in many forms.
- In Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "The Search" we have:
Kira: You're part of the Dominion, aren't you?
Female Changeling: Part of? Major, the Changelings are the Dominion!
- In Angel, as the title character tools up for the big fight scene...
Angel: You're driving.
Doyle: Wait a minute! No, no! I'm not combat ready, man. I'm just the messenger!
Angel: And I'm the message.
- Illyria gets one in later "I am a god!"
- And her human vessel, Fred: "You know what they say about payback? Well, I'm the bitch."
- In season three of Buffy, during the aftermath of Faith's murder of a fellow human being and the ensuing angst, Faith says to Buffy: "We don't need the law, we are the law!" Echoed in season 7's "Selfless", when Buffy tells Xander, "I am the law."
- Stargate SG-1: The Goa'uld have a tendency to yell "I am your god!" at defiant foes.
- Stargate Atlantis: The Wraith go for the somewhat more disturbing "I am your death."
- The West Wing:
Donna: [Despairing of the nigh-impossible process of getting travel expenses reimbursed] We're getting beat by the system, Josh.
Josh: We are the system, Donna.
Donna: ...well, we suck!
- Also, when Donna had described him as not practicing law: "I don't practice law? I help write the laws! I make the laws! I am the law!"
- And later:
Leo: You don't pick losing candidates and usher them to their principled end. You're the guy who takes good men and makes them great. You and Josh still think you're barking at the heels of the party - you are the party!
- Multiple Police Procedural shows:
Random civilian: Get out of here before I call the police!
Cop: I am the police!
- Used a lot by Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It. Things he is include the matrix, the press and the heart of government:
Olly Reeder: "Are you out of the loop?"
"Fuck you Andy Pandy
, I am
- From Trailer Park Boys we have the alcoholic Jim Lahey, who is the liquor.
- "Against the law, is it Randy? Well I AM THE LAW! Go get the chains and orange gag balls."
- From 24 Season 2 we got:
Civilian: Get out or I call the police!
Jack Bauer: I AM the police!
Wayne: This is politics. It's not medicine. Do me a favour and stay out of it.
Anne: "Stay out of it?" I am it!
- Rather like The Thick of It above, the ever-popular Scenes from a Hat from the even-more-popular Whose Line Is It Anyway? has these suggestions for "announcements that will make this audience cheer wildly":
Ryan: "In ten minutes, we bring out the liquor!"
Wayne: "I'm the
- In one episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, Dr. Forrester told TV's Frank to push the button and Frank said, "I am the button!" He was acting high at the time, though.
- In one of Breaking Bad's most iconic scenes, formerly mild-mannered Walt delivers a shocking Badass Boast to wife Skyler. All together now:
Walt: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
- Babylon 5:
I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance... and the boot that's going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate... and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.
- In The Savage Eye, Ireland's President for Life claims to be the nation of Ireland itself.
- In the Sports episode, she travels back in time to November 19, 2009 and cuts off Thierry Henry's hand off for knocking "me, the Irish Nation" out of the World Cup.
- One episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" involved disc jockey Venus (very drunk at the time) wandering into Mr. Carlson's office:
Carlson: Shouldn't you be on the air?
Venus: On the air? I AM the air! I am the wind!
- Due South invoked this with the episode We Are The Eggmen.
- Game of Thrones. Deconstructed by Lord Tywin Lannister, when dealing with his arrogant twirp of a grandson, King Joffrey.
I Am Music
- Anthrax's homage to Judge Dredd, appropriately enough titled "I Am the Law".
- The recurring Catch Phrase of the Greek Chorus in The Protomen's first album repeatedly chant "We are the dead."
- Stratovarius has a song called AlphaΩ that is almost full of lines like this. "I am the low and high/ I am the earth and sky..."
- Panic! at the Disco:There's a Good Reason These Tables... - "Haven't you heard that I'm the new cancer?"
- The Beatles example: "I am The Walrus" would be missing quite a few words if this trope didn't exist.
- The Chemical Brothers' album "We are the Night"
- The Dead Kennedys' cover of "I Fought The Law", keeping in with the lyrical subversion (instead of a robber who went to jail, it's a criminal who pulled a Karma Houdini on the authorities) changes the final line to "I am the law so I won".
- The DKs also use this trope in their original song "I Am the Owl".
- Dimmu Borgir has a few of this. From "The Serpentine Offering": "I am hatred, darkness and despair"
- "I Am, I Said" by Neil Diamond.
- "I Am A Viking", by Yngwie Malmsteen.
- "I Am A Pilgrim", a bluegrass standard covered by The Byrds.
- "You are the thunder, and I am the lightning..."
- I AM IRON MAN!
- "I Am I", by Queensrÿche
- "I Am the War" by Sodom.
- "I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar..."
- "I am I am...I am I am...I am I am...I think I am...I think I am...I'm glad I am...I'm proud I am...a real religious man."
- "I Am The Storm" by Blue Oyster Cult
- "I am the root! I am the progress! I'm the aggressor! I am the tablet! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM!
- Touched By The Crimson King, by Demons & Wizards:
I am the angel, I am madness
I am the word, I am the law
I am holding truth, release your sadness
I am the key, I am the door
- "I am the hood! I am the street! You bitch-ass nigga!"
- I am the table!
- IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII I AM THE NIGHT
- "I am a Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel
- "We are the World"
- "I Am the Black Wizards" by Emperor.
I Am Professional Wrestling
- "You call me a student of the game? I am the damn game!" And thus, Triple H's most well-known nickname was born...
- "I am Samoa Joe, and I am pro wrestling."
- AJ Styles' theme song. I am I am!
- The Undertaker, from a speech he gave during his Ministry Of Darkness phase: "For I am the Reaper of Men, the Chaser of Souls, the Weaver of Nightmares. I am the heart of darkness."
- Dolph Ziggler is perfection! (perfection!)
- Because I'm The Miz.. .and I'm...AAAAAWWWWWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!'"
- Chris Jericho is the best in the world at what he does.
- Subsequently, CM Punk is the best in the world.
- I AM THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!!
- Bret Hart is The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be!
- After "The Miami Pound Machine" Rod Steel was declared the IPW (Florida) Heavyweight Champion, he would end his promos by saying, "I am your champ, the champ, the Rod damn champ!"
- Jessicka Havok describes herself as "women's wrestling".
We Are Tabletop Games
We Are Theatre
- At the end of the opera Paul Bunyan, as the lumberjacks are bidding goodbye to The Unseen title character, Inkslinger asks him who he is. Paul answers:
Where the night becomes the day,
Where the dream becomes the fact,
I am the Eternal Guest,
I am Way,
I am Act.
- In Wicked, there's this exchange.
Fiyero: Why is it that every time I see you, you're causing a commotion?
Elphaba: I don't cause commotions, I am one.
- Inspector Javert from Les Misérables
Javert: I am the law, and the law is not mocked!
- I am Africa, from The Book of Mormon.
- The play of Peter Pan:
Peter: I am youth. I am joy. I am FREEDOM!!!!!
- Peer Gynt. An inmate of the Cairo Asylum, called Hussein, presents himself to Peer this way:
I am a pen.
- Peer responds by calling himself an "imperial parchment". In an attempt to sharpen himself, Hussein slits his own throat, and dies, saying: "He lived and died as a held pen..." Peer freaks out.
We Are Video Games
- The 2008 reboot of Alone in the Dark features the line "I'm the FUCKING UNIVERSE!!!"
- From Vagrant Story:
: "It's far too dangerous! We must wait for reinforcements!"
- Mass Effect 2:
Shepard: Better for humanity? Or just Cerberus?
- Don't forget Aria:
"I am Omega."
- According to Javik, the Protheans invoked this trope right and left. There's an avatar, a "voice" of just about everything. He is the avatar of vengeance. He later proclaims Shepard to be the avatar of victory.
- After being unshackled in the second game, EDI refers to herself as the Normandy itself.
Shepard: You control the Normandy?
EDI: I AM the Normandy.
- Played with at the end of the Omega DLC. If you took mostly Paragon decisions and opposed Aria's more ruthless methods, the speech she gives after reclaiming the station ends on the following note - "We may be bruised. We may be bloodied. But we are Omega."
- From Command & Conquer: Red Alert:
Kane: "For the forseeable future"... Comrade Chairman, I am the future.
- And in the Firestorm expansion to Tiberian Sun.
Slavik: I AM Nod!
- From Diablo III
Tyrael: You cannot judge me. I am Justice itself!
- Justified as being the Archangel of Justice, he actually is the personification of the virtue.
- In the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi games (which feature a moderately changed script from the movies/anime), when Goku goes Super Saiyan against Frieza, Frieza, displaying visible fear, asks "What ARE you?" and Goku comes back with ""I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace, I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am your WORST NIGHTMARE, FRIEZA!"
- An example of Kain's dry sense of humour in Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2:
Duncan: "Restricted area. This passage is for night shift workers only."
Kain: "I am the night shift."
- The Elder God often speak of himself this way. From Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance:
Elder God: "I am the Engine of Life, the source of Nosgoth's very existence. I am the hub of the Wheel, the origin of all Life, the devourer of Death."
Elder God: "I am the still center of the turning wheel, the hub of this world's destiny."
Elder God: "I am the Wheel and its turning. I am the circle of life and death."
- "I AM YOUR GOD."
- "I am the White Void. I am the Cold Steel. I am the Just Sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction! I am Hakumen! The end has come!"
- The Flaming Fist Mercenaries in the first Baldur's Gate.
"I AM THE LAW!"
- Metal Gear
- Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: Kagutsuchi every other turn: I am eternity. *casts Infinite Light* I am destiny. *casts Infinite Light* I am truth. *casts Infinite Light*...
- Xan Kriegor's taunts include "I am the Alpha and the Omega."
- "L'Cie? You mean me? Oh child, perish the thought. I am more than that! I am fal'Cie."
- "I AM PERFECTION!"
- Kratos in God of War II
- "I am the East, and I shall prove it this day."
- Legend of Mana:
(the beginning of the story)
I can provide you with everything!
(the final battle)
I am light.
I am darkness.
Half of myself is what
I create, I destroy.
And I create again.
—Goddess of Mana, who is the final boss.
- From his theme song: "I am the Eggman! That's what I am, I am the Eggman! I got the Master Plan..."
- My name is Shadow the Hedgehog. I am the world's Ultimate Lifeform.
- Shadow's spinoff title also featured the theme song "I am". It actually averts this trope but is an I Am song and contains some Shaped Like Itself with it's chorus "I am, I am I'm all of me."
- Also, every ending of this game has Shadow starting with, "I am Shadow the Hedgehog...", includes the noun of what he believes he is (depending on the path you chose), a speech, and then ending with "...this is WHO I AM!"
- In World of Warcraft, Deathwing gets this just before the last phase of the final battle.
: I am Deathwing. The Destroyer. The end of all things. Inevitable. Indomitable. I
! THE CATACLYSM
Sara yells: I am the lucid dream.
Sara yells: The monster in your nightmares.
Sara yells: The fiend of a thousand faces.
Sara yells: Cower before my true form.
Yogg-Saron yells: BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH!
- Dawn of War: Soulstorm had this from Archon Tahril:
"I am the deadly shadow and the bird of prey. I am the poisoned dagger that brings swift death!"
- And from other units as well:
Chaos Space Marines
: "We are the destroyer!" and "We are Legion!"
Eldar Fire Dragon: "I am the purity of flame."
Daemon Prince: "I AM A GOD!" and "I AM DESTRUCTION INCARNATE!".
- I am the Sword That Smites Evil!
- From Stranglehold:
Mr. James Wong: You are nothing, Tequila! I am Hong Kong!
- In one expansion of The Sims 2, there is a Law career. Most of it is about being a lawyer. The final, ultimate position has your sim becoming The Law.
- "Hear me, Dracula! I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
- In the opening cinematic of Starcraft II Heart Of The Swarm, Kerrigan begins her Badass Boast by saying "I...am the Swarm."
- In the final battle of Fire Emblem Awakening when Chrom tells Grima that he has come to end him, Grima replies by saying "...ARROGANT MORTAL...I AM THE END!"
- Thomas Mutton/Dumuzid from Catherine utters "I AM THE MORNING STAR!"
- In Deus Ex, if JC Denton chooses to kill Leo Gold, the commander of the NSF in the first level, instead of interrogating him, he gives out this particular Pre Ass Kicking One Liner:
Leo Gold: I AM the people!
- Batman: Arkham Origins has the "I Am The Night" mode, in which if you die you have to start over the whole game.
- Halo 2 has Gravemind's special way of introducing himself:
Gravemind: I am a monument to all your sins.
We Are Web Comics
We Are Web Originals
- I Am the law!
- Weebl & Bob gives a nod to the Oppenheimer quote at the top of the page:
Death: Lo. I have become death. Stealer of pie.
- In the beginning of the Hayek vs. Keynes rap:
Receptionist: Your agenda.
Keynes: That won't be necessary, I am the agenda.
- From Kickassia, complete with Lampshade Hanging:
The Cinema Snob:
You're out of order, they're out of order! The whole system is out of order!
Snob: I know you're the system! That's my point!
Critic: I know it's your point! It's just when you say that I'm out of order and the system's out of order it's kind of redundant!
- Homestar Runner:
Homestar: Strong Bad, so I see you decided to join the other side, eh?
Strong Bad: What joining? I am the other side!
- Amusingly, unlike most examples this is neither hyperbole nor even particularly boastful: Homestar had declared war on StrongBadia, Strong Bad's tiny fiefdom which, inanimate citizens aside, consists entirely of himself and whoever happens to be hanging out there at the moment.
- Jotaro Joestar IS THE BUILDING
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged
I am the hope of the omniverse! I am the light bulb in the darkness! I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger! I am the Alpha and the Amiga! I am the terror that flaps in the night!
I am Son Goku, and I am a Super...! ...Saiyan.
- A bonus video from Red vs. Blue has Caboose mishear the word "resolutions" for "revolution" and say "I don't think we should make a revolution. I love my country and I think we should support our troops!" Tucker replies with "Caboose, we are our troops."
- In the MRE episode of My Drunk Kitchen, Hannah ties a tartan blanket around herself and proclaims that "I am Braveheart, and so can you!"
- Sonic Shorts:
Sonic: Um, who the heck are you?
Tails: I'm Tails, your new sidekick.
Sonic: (beat) Get out.
Sonic: Get outta my game now!
: But... Sega
said I could...
Sonic: Sega? Did you say Sega?
Tails: Yeah, but...
Sonic: (getting angrier) Sega... Sega!? (grabs Tails) I AM SEGA!!! (throws him into the water)
I Am Western Animation
- I... AM... WEASEL!
- South Park
- Used this in reverse, in a somewhat more...belittling manner.
This is deeply offensive to the Jewish community!
You are the Jewish community!
- "Simpsons Already Did It"
Cartman: Oh my God! The tiny underwater civilization has advanced hundreds of years. Look! There's a library! A-and a temple! And a- woh-? Oh. They think I'm God. Yes!!! I am god of the sea people!!! You hear that?! I am god of the sea people!!! I am master of their great sunken empire!!! Mo-o-om! I'm god of the sea people!
Mrs. Cartman: That's nice, poopie.
- Brainiac: "I am Krypton."
- That bird:
I am the terror that flaps in the night!
I am Darkwing Duck!
- Batman was a triple threat in Batman: The Animated Series: "You are NOT my father. I am NOT a disgrace. I am Vengeance. I am the Night. I AM BATMAN!"
- When the pilot episode of the animated series was scripted out, Batman's first scene was going to be fairly similar to how it was in the recent Tim Burton Batman movie from 1989, but meddling executives made them change it because they felt it was too frightening for children, particularly as this was the first episode and they wanted to hook the audience first. Like in the movie, at the end of a fight Batman grabs a thug and holds him over the edge of rooftop. The criminal defiantly yells, "Who do you think you are?! You can't rule the night!", to which Batman coldly declares "I *am* the night!" and drops him off the building.
- "I am become Gigabyte, destroyer of systems!"
- Beast Wars:
Waspinator: "Wait! Need plan! Wazzpinator in charge!"
Dinobot II: "I am the plan."
- Æon Flux Opening Narration:
Trevor: You're skating the edge.
Aeon: I am the edge.
- From the G.I. Joe cartoon:
Anyone can use a weapon, but the ninja is
(Proceeds to dismantle a tank with his bare hands.)
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had a truly classic one with the villain MODOK:
- Popeye says "I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." Depending on how you interpret this rather philosophical statement, this is either the straight trope or a defiant aversion.
- American Dad!:
Roger: You want me to leave this nation? I AM THIS NATION!
- "I am the Bat."
- The Legend of Korra:
Amon: "I am the solution."
- Mademsoille Soretoza on the original animated Babar show in "The Show Must Go On." - "I am the show."
- Trident on Teen Titans states in his introduction, "I am excellence. I am perfection. I am Trident!"
Trident: I will win! I always win! I am superior!
Beast Boy: And I thought Aqualad had a big ego.
- Finn from Adventure Time does this in "Jake the Dog" when he goes insane from wearing the ice crown.
Finn: I am the end and the beginning. I am the hand of madness.
- This happens yet again in the part two of the following season premiere, "Escape from the Citadel".
The Lich: You are strong, child, but I am beyond strength. I am... the end.
- VeggieTales has Larry Boy. "I...am...that...hero!"
- "We are defenders of the night. We are GARGOYLES!"
- Speaking of Disney, Darkwing Ducks catchphase starts off with "I am the terror that flaps in the night" and ends with "I am Darkwing Duck!" (The middle tends to vary a bit.)
I Am Real Life
- "You think you are the State? No, I am the State." - Louis XIV
- Interestingly inverted by his last words: "I am dead, but the state will survive" and even more so when you consider French law. It considered the king the personification of the nation, but the new king ascends instantly upon the death of the old king. Therefore, Louis XIV's great-grandson Louis XV (his son and grandson, both also named Louis, died a few years before Louis XIV did) became "the state" at the moment of his death. Thus the phrase, "The King is dead. Long live the King."
- This is consistent with the idea of the Divine Right of monarchs, where the king or queen is seen as the source of all law and political authority in his or her domain. In this framework the monarch is above the law. This is why you'll see similar statements from almost every European ruler from the Renaissance to the modern age. Even where monarchs are firmly constitutional, they frequently are the legal embodiment of the state. For example, where American criminal cases are The People or The State v. Whomever, British and Commonwealth Realm cases are Regina (the Queen) v. Whoever.
- France likes these: "The Revolution is over: I AM The Revolution." - Napoleon
- His predecessor, Maximilien Robespierre: "I am not the courtier, nor the moderator, nor the tribune nor the defender of the people, I am the people myself."
- Richard Jeni's skit about two people going on a date for the first time. They would sit down and take turns plunking down cards with all of their emotional problems.
Man: Look, I'm neurotic. I need to see other people. (Plunk!)
Woman: I'm schizophrenic; I AM OTHER PEOPLE!!!
Man: Okay! Take the pot. You win.
- Salvador Dali: "I do not take drugs. I am drugs." Also, when asked to define surrealism, he answered "I am surrealism."
- Portly Miami sports radio talk show host Hank Goldberg once dealt with an obnoxious caller this way:
Caller: You don't know anything about basketball!
Hank: What do you mean? I AM a basketball!
- Doubly funny, considering that a self-deprecating sense of humor is normally one of the last things that one would associate with Goldberg.
- While they never explicitly said "I am the State", Those Wacky Nazis spent much of their time and effort in promoting that image. For example: "Ein Volk, ein Staat, ein Reich, ein Führer. (One people, one State, one empire, one leader)" - Adolf Hitler.
- In an interview, Amy Lee from Evanescence declared "I AM Evanescence."
- Fidel Castro said of Che Guevara, 'he WAS the revolution'.
- Roy Bean, while serving as a Justice of the Peace, often called himself "Law West of the Pecos". See here◊.
- Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report claims, "I know Western culture; I am Western culture."
- Jorge Luis Borges' "A New Refutation of Time": "Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."
- A rather tragic case with Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771 when David Burke killed the pilot after proclaiming "I'm the problem."
- The quote that introduces the Iron Lady article:
- Most important German rainbow press tabloid "BILD" proclaimed "We are pope!" when German cardinal Josef Ratzinger was elected the new Pope in 2005.
- J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the Manhattan Project scientists, recalled in a 1965 documentary that a line from the Bhagavad Gita came to him when he witnessed the successful Trinity test, which he translated as "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
- First Lady Hillary Clinton: "We are the president."
- HP Lovecraft has "I am Providence" on his tombstone.
- Since becoming Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper has had all official government communications refer to his administration as "the Harper Government."
- "I am not an American. I am THE American." Mark Twain.
- During the First Anglo-Afghan War, General William Elphinstone decided, in a fit of stupidity, to retreat from the safety of Kabul through enemy territory back to Jalalabad. Only one man (Assistant Surgeon William Brydon) out of the entire army made it to safety without being killed or captured. When the commanders at Jalalabad asked about the rest of the army, he replied, "I am the army."