I'm Your Worst Nightmare
Thunderstorm: Who are you?
Calvin: Who are we? Your worst nightmare.
Socrates: Ya know, Calvin, that line has been used so many times now, it's not even mildly threatening anymore.
Andy: Yeah, it actually just took all the drama out. It's like having 555 for a phone number.A common way for a character to announce him/herself in an intimidating manner. It doesn't matter whether he's a good guy or a bad guy, as long as the character is Badass enough to live up to this claim. That is, unless people are spoofing this line (often by the second character describing his actual worst nightmare). It can also be used as a Characterization Trope. In that the person using this stockphrase is a Geek of sorts, based on the fact that he uses Cliches to present himself. Compare Prepare to Die. Not to be confused with Your Worst Nightmare (which is about actual nightmares).
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- The Dragon Ball Z dub seemed to enjoy characters using this trope. And having its "victims" point out how unintimidating they sounded.
Piccolo: I think you'd better let the boy go.Turles: Oh? Is that right? And just who are you?Piccolo: I'm Your Worst Nightmare.Turles: I'm trembling in my boots.
Burter: Hi! I'm Your Worst Nightmare! Burter!Goku: I'm not afraid of dreams.
- Goku vs Burter and Jeice
Goku: Ally to good, nightmare to you!
- The final sentence of Goku's I AM speech after he became a Super Sayian to Frieza in the Funimation Dub has this gem.
- Transformers Cybertron:
Undermine: Identify yourselves!Megatron: I am Megatron.
- Batman often uses this phrase when a criminal asks what he is.
- The Sandman's Merv Pumpkinhead: "Lady, I'm your worst nightmare. A pumpkin with a gun." Justified, as Merv is a literal nightmare.
- Which is based on the infamous subplot from Steve Gerber's run on The Defenders: "I'm your worst nightmare. An elf with a gun!"
- Used as a joke in a Frank and Ernest strip where Ernest is being chased by a giant sausage that says: "I'm your WURST nightmare!"
- Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) to a group of alien invaders in JLA: "I'm your worst nightmare. A Manga nut with a power ring!"
- Grushko from Global Frequency introduces himself:
"Did you ever have a nightmare about a large man who killed your parents, and your siblings, and then your lover, and then everyone you know? And then burned down your house and destroyed everything precious you've ever conceived of? That was me."
- Examples from the Calvinverse:
Giant robot: What in God's name are you? And your friends?\Andy: You and your "creator's" worst nightmare.
Films — Animated
- This is said in Mulan by Mushu. Depending on who you ask, this is either a Batman reference, or it refers to 48 Hours, where Eddie Murphy actually says the quote, making it a self-reference.
- In The Lorax, O'Hare warns Ted that if the boy doesn't stop trying to find out about trees, he'll become his worst nightmare. Which, in his view, is Frankenstein's head on a spider's body.
Films — Live-Action
- Occurs in Rambo III.
- UHF spoofs the Rambo films, including this line.
- Parodied in Loaded Weapon 1:
Mr. Jigsaw: I'm your worst nightmare.Jack Colt: No, waking up without my penis is my worst nightmare.Mr. Jigsaw: Okay, alright, so I'm not actually your worst nightmare. But I am right up there.
- Cop and a Half: "I'm your worst nightmare. An eight year old with a badge."
- 48 Hrs.:
Eddie Murphy, in a redneck bar: "I'm your worst nightmare... a nigger with a badge."
- Spoofed in Canadian Bacon: The main characters use the line on a Canadian, only for the character to whom they say the line to describe their actual worst nightmare.
- Look Who's Talking Too:
- The Santa Clause:
E.L.F.S. Leader: We're your worst nightmare. Elves with attitude.
- In Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, Kimberly does this for the Rangers.
Kimberly: Power Rangers, this is Divatox. Divatox, this is your worst nightmare.
- Raising Arizona: Glenn turns up after getting punched out by H.I, sporting a black eye and a neck brace, and proceeds to blackmail him. He triumphantly states that he's H.I.'s worst nightmare, apparently ignorant of how ridiculous he looks, then ungracefully spits on the sidewalk.
- Hilariously used by Gary Busey in the 80's cheeseball flick Bulletproof:
Bad Guy: What the fuck is this?!McBain: Your worst nightmare, butthorn!
- Used by Channing Tatum in 22 Jump Street:
Jenko: I'm your best ni... I'm your worst nightmare!
- Spoofed in Hogfather. Teatime uses this line on a guard, but his would-be victim wants to know which nightmare that would be. When it's clarified that he means, "The one where the man appears out of nowhere and kills you stone dead", the guard relaxes and points out that that nightmare isn't particularly scary. Then Teatime kills him stone dead.
- Guards! Guards! has: "Someone out there was going to find out that their worst nightmare was a maddened Librarian. With a badge."
- In Snuff, Vimes makes Stinky the goblin a Special Constable, and Stinky responds to Vimes' quip that someone's worst nightmare is "a goblin with a badge" with "Stinky donít need no badges, fellow po-leess-maan! Stinky worst nightmare all by himself!"
- Sidorio from Vampirates describes himself as the sort of thing your worst nightmares "wake up screaming about."
- In Dean Koontz's Watchers, one of the characters is Vince, an insane hitman who believes he absorbs the souls of the people he kills. Near the end of the book he meets Travis, a Shell-Shocked Veteran of Delta Force:
Vince: "I'm your worst nightmare!"Travis: "Not even close."
Live Action TV
- Uttered verbatim by Riker while showing off his poker skills in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Geordi: I do not BELIEVE it!Riker: I'm Your Worst Nightmare.
- The Titanium Ranger's introduction in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Rita: Oh no, not you again!Tommy: Afraid so, Rita.Kimberly: We're like, you're worst nightmare.
- In the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers episode "White Light: Part 2", Kimberly delivers a variation to tiny!Rita as the Rangers re-seal her.
- Used for comical effect in an episode of Herman's Head where Louise (Yeardley Smith, better known as the voice of Lisa Simpson) says it to a tyrannical boss two heads taller than her.
- In the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "Teenage Caveman" the bots have a squirrel say this to the title character when he has rather more trouble catching than he should.
- Tales from the Crypt: One story has a woman tangling with three CIA agents. She has killed two of them (not bad for a housewife) and faces the last agent, woman to woman. The housewife tells the agent, "I'm your worst nightmare. I'm a woman with balls!" The agents acts dismissive about it. The housewife ends up revealing that s/he's the male rogue CIA agent they're looking for. S/he easily kills off the agent! She clearly wasn't kidding when she said that!
- Burn Notice: Simon is called a "walking nightmare" by several characters as well as the on-screen character designation captions.
- In the miniseries Stephen King's IT, Pennywise says to the Losers' Club, "I'm every nightmare you've ever had! I'm your worst dream come true! I'm everything you ever were afraid of!"
- In the L.A. Law episode "Spanky and the Art Gang," Gwen Taylor finally meets the woman who's been stalking her:
Gwen: Who are you?Woman: Bad dream. Your worst nightmare.
- Emilie Autumn's "Gothic Lolita":
"I am your sugar, I am your cream, I am your anti-American dream
"I am your sugar, I am your cream, I am your worst nightmare, now scream!"
- One of Anders' battle cries in Dragon Age II.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this boast is repeatedly made by the Nightmare. It's Not Hyperbole; he is literally a demon of fear, and does indeed take the form of what scares you most (spiders, in the Inquisitor's case). This is in addition to verbally taunting you with your greatest fears, doubts, and guilts.
- Cyan from Final Fantasy VI says this to the captain of the troops attacking his castle, and then defeats him in about two/three turns.
"I am Cyan, retainer to the king of Doma. I am your worst nightmare..."
- Lo Wang, the Shadow Warrior, is everybody's worst nightmare, at least according to himself.
- "Welcome to the castle of nightmares! I'm your greatest nightmare!" So says the Final Boss of Castle of Shikigami 3.
- Soul Series: "I will show you the greatest nightmare!"
- Bruce Irvin's only opening pose in Tekken.
- In Dynasty Warriors 8, We have Li Dian, who is the most awkward member of Wei. He makes impromptu Freudian Slip Love Confessions (regardless of the Player Character's sex) as his praise quote if he's an allied officer and the player is performing well. and introduces himself with "I am Li Dian, your worst nightmare!" if you encounter him as an enemy (and you are not playing as Yue Jin).
- This Bruno the Bandit strip.
- Goblins: "...a goblin with a readied action '''and''' an elevation bonus.
- In Bob and George, Cut Man uses it on Megaman.
- In this 1/0 strip, a character attempts to intimidate another by using this line, with absolutely no success. Note that the character being threatened is an anthropomorphized and enlarged molecule.
- Parodied on SF Debris where the evil Mirror Universe Star Fleet captains are arguing. Kirk says this line, leading Picard to shock him by asking if he's going to be raped by a giant spider. Picard is then severely underwhelmed by Kirk's actual intention of shooting him, pointing out that he has to worry about that all the time, and that you might as well say slipping in the shower is his worst nightmare.
Picard: Oh no, it's Jim! And he's slightly miffed.
- Batman: The Animated Series: Batman replies with this when a terrified criminal asks "Who are you?!" in episode 5, ''Pretty Poison.''
- From Justice League, "Only A Dream":
Doctor Destiny: I'm your worst nightmare.Batman: You have no idea what my nightmares are like.
- The exact same sequence occurs between Payback and Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond.
- The Transformers in the episode "War Dawn" when Optimus Prime is built from the wrecked body of Orion Pax, he steps onto the battlefield and quotes "You've caused enough destruction for one day, Megatron!" Megatron retorts with "I haven't even started!" then takes aim and blasts Prime - only for it to glance off. He then says in a panic "You! Who are you?!" Optimus responds with "Your worst nightmare!" and promptly inflicts a Curb-Stomp Battle on Megatron's drones. Doubles as a CMOA for Optimus
- The Penguins of Madagascar, "Can't Touch This":
Randy: Is somebody there?
Skipper: Yes, somebody's here. Your worst nightmare!
Randy: A flying coyote with eye laser beams?
Skipper: Huh? No! Four angry penguins.
Randy: Phew! Cause if coyotes ever develop flight and eye laser technology, it's game over, you know?
- Used to comedic effect on King of the Hill. Conspiracy nut Dale Gribble, who has a virtually encyclopedic knowledge of the ins and outs of government bureaucracy, intimidates a worker at the Department of Motor Vehicles into providing better service by naming all of the worker's superiors in ascending order, then threatening to call them, using this exact line:
I am your worst nightmare! I have a three-line phone and absolutely nothing at all to do with my time!"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Said by Cad Bane to C-3PO in the episode "Evil Plans".