Literature: I Am the Cheese
So a boy is riding around on his bike, trying to get to his dad, who's in the hospital in a faraway city. The same boy, Adam Farmer, is sitting in some kind of interrogation room in a mental hospital, trying to remember his life before the hospital.I Am the Cheese is an emotional Mind Screw novel about Adam Farmer, who is afraid of everything, has to take medication, lives in an asylum, and is in love with a girl named Amy. Also, the story is set three years after his parents died. He never rode a bike to his dad's hospital. He couldn't have; he never left his own.
I Am the Tropes:
- Creator Cameo: The film of the book has Robert Cormier as Amy Hertz's father.
- Cuckoo Nest: See Mind Screw below.
- Deceptively Silly Title
- Downer Ending: Seriously depressing.
- The Film of the Book: One was made in 1983.
- The Hero Dies: Implied that Adam is going to be offed not long after the ending.
- I Am the Noun: I Am the Cheese (from the song, The Farmer in the Dell).
- Mind Screw: Nothing Adam sees or aims for on his bike ride are real, sans the characters he meets.
- No Medication for Me: At the beginning of the book, Adam dumps all his pills down his sink. He tries to avoid medication from Brint as well, but Adam resists less as the book progresses.
- Silent Credits: The movie would have had this if not for the rickroll in the reissue, described below.
- Witness Protection: The Farmer family is a part of this. It's later revealed that their real last name is Delmonte.