open/close all folders
- Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. Fun is short for "Funeral", and the subtitle, "A Family Tragicomic", is in small print.
Films — Live-Action
- Candyman is a horror movie about a murderous ghost who operates a lot like Bloody Mary.
- As above, woe betide you if you mistake Hard Candy for a film about confectionery.
- A more adult example with Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny, and Girly. The title is ironic and reflects the whimsical and childlike state of the characters, but does nothing to convey that they are actually sadistic, Ax-Crazy kidnappers.
- Christopher Nolan's first film was a black and white three-minute short about a skinny, insane guy obsessively hunting his apartment for some small scurrying creature so he can kill it with a shoe. Said creature turns out to be a miniature version of himself (who is in turn searching for something to squish). He finally manages to kill it with the shoe, only to be squashed himself by a giant version of himself with a giant shoe. The film's title? Doodlebug.
- Donnie Darko, sounds silly at worst, ambiguous at best. Lampshaded by Gretchen, who says it sounds like a superhero name.
- The Torture Porn film The Bunny Game.
- Child's Play is about a murderous toy. However, this isn't likely to fool anyone who isn't looking at a list of only names, though, since the posters, trailers, DVD covers, etc., make it quite clear what genre the movie is in. It's definitely not a case of Covers Always Lie.
- Beetlejuice sounds like it could be a Judy Blume novel, and it is a comedy — but much of the humor is mined from very grim subjects: death, Purgatory, exorcism, spiritualism, suicide, and all-around angst.
- The Game is about a mind-game — and not a fun one, either.
- Funny Games, a film about two guys who decide to murder a family just because they can in 4th wall breaking fashion, is not that funny.
- Dr. Giggles, a horror movie.
- The Brown Bunny is a long and rambling road movie, infamous for an unsimulated blowjob scene.
- The "Mr. Babadook" book from The Babadook (a Nightmare Fuel Colouring Book about infanticide). And arguably the film itself, a very effective horror movie with a rather goofy name.
- The Candy Tangerine Man sounds like a children's story about a magical being. It's actually a crime thriller about a pimp.
- You would expect a Channel Awesome-related fic called That Guy With The Glasses In Space would show a very silly story to go along with the title, right? Well... You'd be sorely mistaken.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Cupcakes is about an insane Pinkie Pie slowly and violently torturing Rainbow Dash to death in her basement, then using Dash's remains as an ingredient in the titular cupcakes.
- Likewise, Rainbow Factory is about an alternate universe where Cloudsdale's rainbows are made from young Pegasus fillies and colts who fail their final flight test.
- There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar — This book is sad! The title comes from one scene in which a boy actually does go into the girls' bathroom and ends up discovered when he tries to sneak back out. The story itself is about a friendless kid with learning disabilities who is also a bit of a bully, and the help he receives from a counselor who turns his life around. It doesn't help that the book cover frequently shows a comical image of the titular boy being chased by some furious females.
- Blubber by Judy Blume — The title sounds silly, but it's actually the mean-spirited nickname given to an overweight girl by her bullying peers. The book is a harshly realistic look at bullying.
- Robert Cormier's The Chocolate War — Yes, there is a war about selling chocolates, in a sense. But it's actually about a high-school student's attempt to assert his individuality and the harassement he receives from a clique of students that practically runs the school.
- There's also An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd. It is set against the background of World War I in German East Africa.
- Another Cormier book, I Am the Cheese, could fit here too; one might conclude from the title that the story inside is rather lighthearted, except when one finds out that the story is about how the protagonist's family has to go into the Witness Protection Program to avoid being murdered by the mob.
- Al Capone Does My Shirts is a deceptively childish title for a book which explores issues such as family and living with an autistic sibling.
- A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison. While it is a story about a Boy and his Dog, it is NOT for children.
- The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. Despite the silly title, it's about an overweight girl who feels like she doesn't belong in her own family, and whose brother later gets suspended from his college for date rape.
- "Scherzo", the Italian word for joke, became a generic term in classical music for fast movements in 3/4 time. While many classical scherzi are indeed boisterous and light-hearted pieces, others, such as Frederic Chopin's Scherzo in B minor (Op. 20), can be stormy and even terrifying.
- Parodied in The Simpsons episode "Any Given Sundance", where Marge goes to see the independent films Regularsville and Candyland, which are about poor people and druggies respectively. She eventually gets the gimmick that the title means the opposite of what it is, which makes her think she'll like Chernobyl Graveyard (she doesn't).
- The 1980s "Ice Cream Wars" in Glasgow, Scotland sound almost silly, reminiscent of a lighthearted comedy drama involving the sale of that well-loved dessert. In fact, the ice cream vans in question were being used as a front for drug sales and other criminal activity, and the violent criminal rivalry underpinning this resulted in the deaths of six members of one family in an arson attack.
- The term "Banana Wars" brings to mind a mental image of wars that were literally being fought with bananas. It was actually a series of military interventions and occupations by the United States in several Central American countries done primarily to protect the monopoly of its fruit companies in the region, which included unrestricted access to the cultivation of bananas (this is where the term "Banana Republic" also comes from).
- The "Flower Wars" of the Aztec Empire did not feature Mesoamericans hitting each other with bouquets of flowers. Rather, they were ritualized battles staged for the purpose of acquiring prisoners so they could be taken back to the victors' capital and sacrificed to the gods. (Of course, the sacrificial victims got to attend a feast held in their honor before their deaths, so it wasn't all bad.)
- The 1739-1748 "War of Jenkins' Ear" between Great Britain and Spain (part of the War of the Austrian Succession) might have a silly name and a questionable official reason behind the declaration of war. But for the 20,000 dead, wounded, missing, or captured on the British side alone, it was most likely far less amusing.
- Swedish history gives us episodes like "the Håtuna games," "the Nyköping banquet," "the great Dalecarlian dance," "the Cudgel War" and the churchbell-rebellion. These were all nasty episodes of rebellions and coup d'etats.
- "Defenestration" is an Inherently Funny Word, and arguably counts as Amusing Injuries, but really it isn't very funny if it happens to you.
- General Butt Naked, the nickname for Joshua Milton Blahyi, who would lead his Butt Naked Brigade clad exactly as the name suggests, for the benefit of Liberian Warlord Roosevelt Johnson. Said actions including the willful sacrifice and cannibalism of child soldiers, genocides of entire tribes, and at least two confirmed cases of forced female circumcision (and probably many more).
However, his No Celebrities Were Harmed version in the musical The Book of Mormon, General Butt-Fucking-Naked, is Played for Laughs, even when he does pretty much all of the above, plus he literally shoves a copy of the Book of Mormon up Elder Price's ass. While Blahyi now goes by his given name, the character in Book of Mormon apparently either has that as his actual name or the nickname is too ingrained for him to change, since at the end of the play he introduces himself as Elder Butt Fucking Naked after he converts to Arnoldism.