TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Sonic makes a foray into modern economics.
We know this. But it's still a joy to watch.
A bad guy will taunt, cajole, or in some way try to deceive the good guy/s with big words, possibly flowery language
, or good ol' fashioned Trash Talk
. But the good guy/s will have none of it. Instead, they'll snatch a word out of the enemy's tirade, tack a hard, defiant, "THIS!" to the end of it, and unload on their enemies.
In lowbrow games of Volleying Insults
, "this" is one's crotch, indicated with a gesture so the other doesn't miss the point.
Compare/Contrast with I Will Show You X
, in using someone's own wording in a retort to them, except that I Will Show You X
is more specifically about what the character saying it will DO, whereas in Verb This there's no "I" in it and it could just as easily be referring to some external circumstance.
Usually doubles as a "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner
, Pre-Mortem One-Liner
and/or Pre-Asskicking One-Liner
as well. Can be someone's Moment Of Awesome
if pulled off properly.
Compare I Am the Noun
, Shut Up, Hannibal!
and Punctuated! For! Emphasis!
. Also, Talk to the Fist
and I Will Show You X
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga This!
- Empowered: "Mong this, motherfucker!"
- Subverted in Iron Man (v1) #279 - when Iron Man confronts the alien overlord Ronan the Accuser, his enemy at one point utters the perfect set-up line "None may defy the judgment of -" to which Iron Man responds with "Judge this!" and gives him all hell with his repulsors at full power (Normally enough to level, oh, a medium-sized office building). Unfortunately, this barely manages to make Ronan stagger a single step backwards, and he responds, seemingly even without sarcasm: "I find it... insufficient."
- In Archie Sonic issue #74, the page image is provided after the freedom fighters discover Robotnik after previously thinking he was dead, and later discover Robotnik's plan to deprive creatures of their free will to get them to work in his factories.
- Ultimate Spiderman: "Define this, Fuzzball!" It was All Just a Dream in an Imagine Spot, though.
Fan Work This!
- The Matrix:
- Trinity in The Matrix. After watching an agent effortlessly dodge a hail of gunfire, she sneaks up behind him as he's preparing to finish Neo off, puts the barrel of her pistol right up to his head, and tells him to "Dodge this". Then she blows his brains out at point blank range. He does dodge it, mind you, just not in the traditional manner. His former host, on the other hand, was not so fortunate.
- A similar example occurred in The Matrix Reloaded, when Persephone asks Neo to kiss her, because she wants to "sample" the feeling of love again. Trinity responds with "Why don't you sample this instead?" and the gun comes out. Unlike the first example, however, she does not fire the gun.
- And then, in The Matrix Revolutions, the original scenario is repeated during the battle for Zion - Charra shoots the Huge Digger with a rocket launcher and "Dig this!"
- Star Trek: First Contact:
: Assimilate this!
(shoots recently severed and explosive
nav deflector full of Borg Drones and a comm beacon of doom. Ka-blowie
- Analyze This.
- Pledge This!: an awesome movie with super-actress Paris Hilton.
- Mortal Kombat: Sonya vs. Kano:
Kano: Give it up, baby. I've studied all your moves.
Sonya: Oh yeah? Study THIS!
- Team America: World Police: "Hey terrorist. Terrorize this!"
- When Kim Jong-il feeds Hans Blix to his pet sharks, he comments, "You want inspection? Well, inspect that, you butt-fucking piece of shit!"
- Evil Dead
- Die Another Day:
- The SyFy film Path Of Destruction has the colonel saying this during his Heroic Sacrifice:
Colonel Thomas Miller: "Dematerialize this."
- Grease has a particularly nice example. While Rizzo is freaking out because she thinks she might be pregnant we get this nice scene:
Rizzo: Don't start with me!
Kenickie: Alright fine, well how about I finish with you huh?
Rizzo: Finish This! (throws milkshake in his face)
- Variation in Spaceballs: The villain, at first just passive-aggressively sniping at his overly cautious underling, finally decides he's had enough when Colonel Sandurz tries to prepare the ship for Ludicrous Speed:
Give me that, you petty excuse for an officer! (on loudspeaker:) Now hear this! Ludicrous Speed! Colonel Sandurz:
Sir, hadn't you better buckle up? Dark Helmet:
Ah, buckle this! Ludicrous Speed
- Aliens When an alien is trying to open to doors to the APC:
Hicks:(inserts shotgun into mouth) Eat THIS!
- The Rock:
: (shoves Deadly Gas
pellet into mouth): Eat that, you fuck!
- So Bad, It's Good slasher flick, Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2 has the following exchange before Ricky dispatches Mother Superior with a fire axe.
Mother Superior: I am your Mother Superior! As I raised you from a child, I order you to drop that weapon and take your punishment!
Ricky: No more punishment!
Mother Superior: You are being very very naughty!
Ricky: Naughty THIS!
- Iron Man 2:
Iron Man: Regenerate from that.
- The Scorpion King: "Catch This!"
- The first Blade movie.
Badguy Mook: Go fuck yourself.
Blade: (producing gun) Why don't you fuck this!
- In Child's Play 2, Chucky takes out his aggression (and boy does he have aggression!) on a Good Guy doll by saying "Hug this!" before bludgeoning it.
- A variation occurs towards the end of X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine is fighting one-on-one against a mutant with regenerating limbs. After the third or fourth attempt at dismemberment, he changes tack and kicks his adversary in the crotch instead, remarking:
"Grow those back."
- This might be a homage to "[verb] these!" being Wolverine's catchphrase in the 90s, as noted below.
- In X-Men: First Class, Shaw to Darwin, before killing him. Specifically: "adapt to this."
- Spawn: Eat THIS!
- Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies: "Emancipate this!"
- The print ads for the Pauly Shore movie Jury Duty had the tagline "Sequester This!"
- The Exorcist spoof at the beginning of Scary Movie 2 finishes like this:
Possessed-totally-not-Regan-MacNeil: Your moms suck cocks in hell!
Live Action TV This!
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy vs. The Initiative: "Target has been contained!" "Contain this." PUNCH!!
- From "Living Conditions":
: So then she's like, 'It's share-time.' And I'm like, 'Oh yeah? Share this
!' [mimes taking a milk carton out of the fridge
- Actually, she mimes some incredibly bad (especially for Buffy) face-punching, to which Oz deadpans "So either you hit her, or did your crazy mime routine."
- From the first episode of NYPD Blue: "Ipso this, you prissy little bitch!"
- Power Rangers S.P.D., against a mirror-themed villain: "Reflect on this!" [White Ranger smashes mirror, releasing trapped Rangers]
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive has this exchange between Blue Ranger Dax, Red Ranger Mack, and the Monster of the Week in "Lights, Camera, Dax":
Dax: Thanks, Mack!
Mack: I'll cover you!
Scaletex: Cover this!
- Doctor Who:
- In "The Time of Angels", an image that holds a weeping angel becomes itself an angel, and the one in the TV is starting to attack. Cue Amy's "hold this" along with the most epic use of a pause button ever.
- The Doctor himself had already done it in "The Sontaran Stratagem", shortly before bouncing a shuttlecock off a wall into a Sontaran's weak spot.
General Stall: We stare into the face of death!
The Doctor: Uh-huh? Well, stare at this.
- Also done by Captain Jack in "Journey's End", after a Dalek makes some comment about not feeling anything.
Jack: Feel this. (repeatedly shoots the Dalek, to no effect)
(later, once Jack has got himself a better gun)
Jack: As I think I said before... FEEL THIS! (BOOM!)
- "The Age of Steel": "Upgrade this!"
- Scrubs has a subversion:
Turk: That was a finder's fee!
J.D.: Oh yeah? Well, find this!
Carla: You know you're supposed to grab your crotch when you say that.
J.D.: Wouldn't that hurt?
- Played straight by Londo in Babylon 5:
Centauri Bureaucrat: I'll be in touch. *ends call*
Londo: Touch this. (He pokes himself in the ribs, where Centauri males keep their six... well, you know, implying the equivalent of the crotch-presentation gesture mentioned in the synopsis.)
- Married... with Children: Kelly is in an archery competition and is trying to shoot an apple off her brother's head. She's so touched that he volunteers that she realises she can't risk it and forfeits the game, congratulating her opponent on winning.
Opponent: Knew you couldn't do it, candy-ass.
Kelly: ...Candy this. *shoots apple off Bud's head without looking, reducing Bud to a shell-shocked drooling mental case in the process*
- Young Blades: In the first episode, Gerard's response to "Kneel and kiss the dust [Mazarin] might deign to tread" is "Kiss this." Leads to him getting arrested and his father getting murdered in a stunning display of Disproportionate Retribution.
- Breaking Bad: Walter White tends to use this when enraged. When quitting his job at the car wash, he tears several products off of the shelves, grabs his crotch, and shouts, "WIPE DOWN THIS!" before storming out.
- In a later episode, he also shouts, while grabbing his crotch again, "I'VE GOT YOUR RESTRAINING ORDER RIGHT HERE! RESTRAIN THIS!"
Video Games This!
- The fourth level of the first Marathon game is called "Defend THIS!" It is focused on activating the titular ship's defense mechanisms (which somehow aid you in the level before they are activated). Bungie has not forgotten this phrase, and has made it the name of an achievement in Halo 3 and there is a medal in Halo Reach called "Reload This!"
- Graffiti that reads "glass this," alluding to the Covenant's habit of plasma bombarding planets, can be found around New Mombasa in Halo 3: ODST
- Near the very end of Destroy All Humans!!, just after Crypto has defeated Silhouette, she goes on about how Majestic is all over the world, and as long as Majestic exists, they will resist the Furon invasion. Crypto doesn't think so, and proceeds to stomp on the fatally wounded human, to finish her off.
Silhouette: We will continue to resist you!
Crypto: Resist this. *squish*
- At the end of Headhunter: Redemption, Leeza shouts "Compute this!" to the AI final boss, before delivering the Coup de Grāce.
- At least two random bits of dialogue in Star Wars Battlefront 2 qualify for this. Rebel soldiers sometimes tell the Imperials, who have gotten in the habit of calling them "Rebel scum" frequently, to "Rebel scum this!", in a similar vein, Imperial Stormtroopers, when encountering Obi-wan, sometimes say "It's Obi-wan! Shall we put a disturbance in his Force?"
- In Kingdom Hearts 1, Sephiroth LOVES to say this. Over. And over.
- Following up on the Sephiroth example, Dissidia fighters frequently use Verb This in their battle quotes, mostly as "Take this!" but Lightning shares "Dodge this!" with Sephiroth. Golbez, however, is the only one who says "Endure this!" before he blasts you with electricity.
- Prototype: "Regenerate this."
- Tales of Monkey Island: In Chapter 1:
LeChuck: Do ya mind? I be in the middle of an unholy ceremony here!
Guybrush: Unholy THIS! * attacks*
Elaine: "Unholy this"?
Guybrush: Yeah, I know, but he didn't give me much to work with.
Max: Unholy THIS!
Sam: What's that, little buddy?
Max: I don't know. I heard it in a video game.
- Persona 4's Bonus Boss.
Margaret: Withstand this!
- Enkindle THIS!◊
- Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete, Hiro when using a sword technique.
Hiro: Dodge THIS!
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Dark Phoenix's fireball spam. "Dodge THIS!"
- In Team Fortress 2, several of the Scout's domination lines are in this form:
"(to Demoman) Blow that up, cyclops!"
"(to Sniper) Snipe that, ya frickin' coward!"
"(to Spy) Disguise dat!"
- In GTA Radio, one of V-ROCK's taglines is "New Wave this, pal! This is V-ROCK!"
- The snarky clown in Grim Fandango replies to Manny's request to "Twist me up one of them" (balloon animals) with "Yeah, yeah. Twist this, a'right?" He'll still go ahead and make whatever Manny asks for.
- In the NES version of Uninvited:
"Drink this!" you say, as you splash the water on the spirit!
- Sam & Max Season 1: Episode 6 - Bright Side of the Moon has Sam yell this to Hugh Bliss, the Season Big Bad, just as he's about to be boiled alive by a rocket engine.
Sam: Hey, Hugh Bliss! Separate this!
- In Final Fantasy X-2, Gippal says "Dodge this!" when using Bullseye.
Web Comics This!
- Questionable Content: Marigold tries, but doesn't get any better than "I'll wash you more than twice a year!"
- Hark! A Vagrant: "Handcuff THIS"
- There's a webcomic that has this trope in the title: Nerf This.
- Ariel in Drowtales says "Catch this!" to Kalki her half sister, who not half an hour previously chopped off one of her arms after Kalki tells her to "catch" when throwing a tainted mana blast at her.
Web Original This!
Western Animation This!
- Coop from Megas XLR, during his fight with the R.E.G.I.S. Mk. V, who refused to stay down no matter how much Coop wailed on it.
R.E.G.I.S. Mk. V: The R.E.G.I.S. Mk. V mocks your futile attempts at destroying it.
Coop: Mock this! (slams random button on controls)
- Less heroic example: Cyborg from Teen Titans, telling his robotic counterpart (he was disguised as "Stone" in order to infiltrate H.I.V.E. Academy) "Booyah this!"
- Can't forget Robin during the Apprentice arc. "MOTIVATE THIS!"
- Or Starfire when she saved her friends from the Cironielian Chrysalis Eater. "Devour THIS!"
- Frylock vs. WWWYZZERDD.com in Aqua Teen Hunger Force
WWWYZZERDD.com: But it comes in this decorative tin!
Frylock: Decorate this! (blasts tin out of WWWYZZERDD.com's hand with his laser eyes)
- A spoof trailer for the sequel to The Passion of the Christ in Family Guy: "Passion Of The Christ 2: Crucify This!"
- The Batman vs. Dracula has Alfred essentially recreating the Matrix example by shooting Dracula in the head with Batman's vampirism-cure needles and saying, "Bite this!" It doesn't work.
- Transformers: Beast Wars: In the series finale, Optimus Primal and Megatron face off on the bridge of the Nemesis.
Megaton: Oh well, come on, let's have it. The usual "destiny and honor" speech.
- In Transformers Prime after insulting his doctoring skills, Starscream tells Knock Out callously to continue buffing the comatose Megatron; they want him his best for the memorial.
Knock Out: Buff this.
- Obviously being a children's show (or a children's time slot, anyway), Knock Out cannot visibly 'up yours' Starscream, but he makes a vague gesture with his right hand remeniscent of it, and you get the idea.
- Spoofed in ReBoot's episode "Firewall".
PC Santa Claus
: Ho ho ho!
Killer snowman Enzo: Hohoho this!
- For Wolverine, it's "[Verb] these." Here instead of in Comic Books because while he probably says it at least once in everything, it was practically a Catchphrase in the 90s 'toon.
- A Sentinel orders Gambit to stand aside in order to "apprehend" Jubilee. He punctuates his reponse with a playing card to the face.
- Finn in Adventure Time exclaims, "Chew on this!" in the episode, Slumber Party Panic!. It's become one of his well-known phrases.
- Done in El Tigre by Frida Suarez when she is told to install a censor.
Frida: "Install this!"
- Private gives us this little gem after Kowalski tells him how good he is at detecting things:
Private: Detect THIS!
- Johnny 2X4 gives us one of these when he goes to rescue Plank from the Kanker Sisters.
May: Give me back my backscratcher!
Johnny: Scratch THIS! *sends trailer flying away*
- Kim Possible shows up to foil one of Shego's heist attempts in "The Big Job":
Shego: Oh, great. How did you know.?
Kim: You're predictable.
Shego: Really, am I? Then predict this! (leaps and attacks)
- In one interview on Space Ghost Coast to Coast Space Ghost talks to a pest exterminator. Treating him like a superhero (which he does with all his guests) SG asks him if he has any witty one-liners he says while fighting bugs. The exterminator says "Take this." Space Ghost tests it out, decides he likes it, and asks if he can use it.
Real Life This!
- The program Hijack This has an appropriate title as a response to computer hijackers.
- At the height of Hype Backlash over Hip Hop in The Eighties, when there was controversy over sampling and copyrights, "Sample This" T-shirts were popular.