"Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in."
Paris Hilton is... well, that's the thing. How
did she become famous? Hell, what
is it precisely that she's famous for in the first place? Seeing as how she served as the model
for the modern ideal of the "celebutante
", those are questions that beg to be answered.
Paris was born on February 17, 1981 into the multi-billionaire Hilton family, owners of the hotel chain bearing their name. She was, by all accounts, fairly troublesome in her youth
, spending a year at a residential school for "troubled teens" in Utah and getting kicked out of a Connecticut boarding school before dropping out of high school altogether and getting a GED. Afterwards, she became a usual model/socialite/"it girl", serving as a regular fixture of nightclubs and tabloids in New York. In 2003, Fox
approached her to star on a reality show called The Simple Life
, in which she and another big-city socialite
(they eventually decided on Nicole Richie, adopted daughter of Lionel Richie) would be sent to live on a farm in Arkansas where hijinks would presumably ensue
. The two accepted.
And then came the tape
. You know which one.
The scandal that erupted from Paris' sex tape (known as 1 Night in Paris
) turned her into an overnight celebrity
and The Simple Life
into a smash hit for Fox. She leveraged that fame to appear in a whole slew of films and TV shows, many of which either went Direct-to-Video
or were small cameos (apart from the House of Wax (2005)
remake, Repo! The Genetic Opera
and The Hottie and the Nottie
), as well as record an album, create several reality shows, and write a bestselling, tongue-in-cheek autobiography. When she's not working, she's frequently running afoul of the law, most often for reckless driving (often while inebriated
) and for carrying and using drugs. Her list of arrests and fines is too long to list here, so go check The Other Wiki
if you care about that.
Between her behavior and the auspicious beginnings of her career as a celebrity, Paris has a substantial hatedom
, with her frequently topping lists of the most disliked celebrities in America. Most people wonder just how
it is possible for a person to become a media fixture as big as Paris merely by appearing on a single reality show and making a single sex tape, and the fact that Paris was seemingly only the first of many such celebutantes to take this route to fame makes them fear for the future of popular culture. Of course, the phenomenon of being "famous for being famous" is a bit older than people realize
— the term "celebutante" was coined
as far back as 1939, and many of the "Warhol
Superstars" of The Seventies
fit the bill as well as any Kardashian
. Plus, at the very least she seems to be fully aware of how she got famous. But then again, none of the celebutantes of days past ever reached anything close to the level of media saturation as Paris Hilton and her compatriots. Does her success say something about the state of our society? If so, what?
Needless to say, Paris Hilton is a very
controversial figure. The Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment
is in full effect on this page.
As far as what she has actual done and ventured into, includes everything from perfumery, music, acting, authoring, to Reality TV
- Paris Hilton (2006)
- TBA (2012)
- House Of Wax (2005)
- Bottoms Up (2006)
- Pledge This (2006)
- The Hottie and The Nottie (2008)
- Repo: The Genetic Opera (2008)
- Paris Hilton (2004)
- Just Me (2005)
- Heiress (2006)
- Can Can (2007)
- Fairy Dust (2008)
- Siren (2008)
- Dazzle (2012)
- Confessions of A Heiress (2004)
- The Simple Life (2003-2007)
- Paris Hilton's My New BFF (2008-2009)
- Paris Hilton's British Best Friend (2009)
- Paris Hiltonís Dubai BFF (2009)
- The World According to Paris (2011)
- Adam Westing: In her Supernatural appearance she played an ancient goddess whose personality is that of a spoiled celebrity, playing off her public image as an actress.
- Her character in Repo! The Genetic Opera was also a famous socialite and heiress who is literally addicted to plastic surgery.
- Also in a Funny Or Die video where she announced she would be running for president in 2008.
- Affectionate Parody: Her video for "Nothing In This World" is one of The Girl Next Door.
- Billing Displacement: Is on the DVD cover for Nine Lives and gets third billing (the cast is billed in alphabetical order) when she only has roughly 30 minutes of screen time.
- Break Up Song: Jealousy is one between friends.
- City Mouse: On The Simple Life.
- Clark Kenting: While filming House of Wax in Australia, she had to wear a brown wig whenever she wanted to do her exercise outside her apartment.
- Cover Version: "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"
- Development Hell: Her second album has been delayed since her first one...almost a notable 6 years.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Is actually an inversion. She fits the all the requirements but has a massive Hatedom. Though to her fans, she's a straight example.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl
- Hidden Depths: On her reality series Paris Hilton's British Best Friend one of the girls burst into tears when all of the clothes laid out for the contestants were too small for her. Paris pulls the girl into a hug and assures her she's beautiful, and then goes to get her clothes in her size. Granted it's what anyone would do but it was surprising to see Paris do it all the same.
- Home Porn Movie
- Hood Ornament Hottie: Her car-washing ad for the Carl's Jr./Hardee's fast food chain.
- Intercourse with You: the basic theme of "Paris Hilton" the album.
- In Da Club: Some tracks of her album and of course,she gets paid to go to them!
- Jail Bait: Seduces a 15-year-old in the video for "Nothing In This World" and goes into school with him pretending to be his girlfriend.
- Mister Muffykins: Her little chihuahua Tinkerbell is almost as famous as she is.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: The number of people who claim otherwise shows how good she is at it.
- British TV presenter Fearne Cotton interviewed her for a new series. One question essentially boiled down to "When are you going to get a clue?" Paris pointed out that, by living up to her public image and generally acting like a stupid, spoiled party animal, she would earn vast amounts of money that she could never have by (for example) working at the family firm.
- Obsession Song: "I Want You" "Nothing In This World" "Screwed"
- Pretty in Mink: Has worn loads of furs in real life, and some in media. In an ad for Carls Jr, she struts into a room wearing a swimsuit and white fox wrap, the latter she drops to wash a car in a seductive manner.
- Reality TV: Most of her work has been in this field.
- Rebellious Princess
- Rich Bitch, Spoiled Brat: How many people view her. How much of this is Truth in Television, and how much is her deliberately playing up those tendencies, is another matter.
- Self-Deprecation: Her role in Supernatural as a forest deity.
- Self-Titled Album: Debut
- She Really Can Act: Critics have praised her performances in Repo! The Genetic Opera and as a villain in an episode of Supernatural.
- Simply put she has some talent unlike the Kardashians.
- Silly Love Songs: "Heartbeat"
- Spoiled Sweet: Her fans see her as this and think she's rather nice.
- Turn of the Millennium
- You Can Leave Your Hat On: Provides a striptease for her boyfriend in House Of Wax.
- Wolverine Publicity