Marcus Hopson, better known as "Hopsin", an alteration of his last name, is an underground rapper who is slowly but steadily growing in popularity.His style is generally described as angry, cynical and somewhat melodic, and is often compared to early Eminem albums. Hopsin has admitted that Eminem is one of his primary influences, so he seems to be aware of this. He is very critical of mainstream hip-hop's glorification of drugs, alcohol and glamorized gangsta lifestyles, as well as mainstream rappers who use them as part of their act.In 2009 he released his debut album, Gazing At The Moonlight, which was received quite well. Unfortunately, it was ill promoted by the label, Ruthless Records, and Hopsin was later dropped. His second album, Raw, was released the next year as a digital download on his own label, Funk Volume. In 2013, he released his third album, Knock Madness. He also releases yearly freestyles on his Youtube channel, found here.
Tropes present in his work:
- Anti-Love Song: Generally averted, but I'm Not Introducing You is an example.
- Album Title Drop: "I am raw, I am raw, just to let you niggas know..."
- An Aesop: "Nocturnal Rainbows" contains a few: Hopsin points out that our brains are a terrible thing to waste on recreational drugs and that black people shouldn't support Obama simply because he's half-black.
- Audience Participation Song: "Ill Mind of Hopsin 5"
- Boastful Rap: Done differently than most. Rather than bragging about how much money, women or fame he has, he boasts about his musical skill.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Present throughout Raw, but never taken to insane tinfoil hat levels. It was also present throughout Knock Madness.
- Drugs Are Bad: "The Ill Mind of Hopsin 6" is all about this, and how drugs destroyed the life of someone he knew.
- Horrorcore: Had a large part in "Am I A Psycho?" by Tech N9ne, which was this genre.
- Last Name Basis
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He is VERY sociable with his fans on his Twitter and Facebook accounts, much more so than most rappers of his status.
- Noodle Incident: Ill Mind Of Hopsin 6 was originally going to be a seperate song, but according to this tweet, the real Ill Mind Of Hopsin 6 was too personal to be released. It's never explained what the original song was about.
- Nice Guy
- Not So Different: Hopsin hates just about everything about Tyler, The Creator, when interestingly, they're both snarky, Straight Edge skateboarders who border on Horrorcore, make their own beats at times, and are heavily influenced by Eminem.
- Pet the Dog: Literally; he has a pug, who appears in the "Ill Mind of Hopsin 4" video.
- He's said that he doesn't take advantage of groupies at live shows.
- Prophet Eyes: His trademark pale white contacts.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Ill Mind of Hopsin 7.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: All of Ill Mind of Hopsin 5.
- Sag My Pants was a nastily sarcastic parody of shallow, offensive rap songs.
- Shout-Out: The album cover for Raw is a homage to the Saw film series, as is the music video for "Kill Her".
- Take That: Several tracks on Raw. Sag My Pants and Pillow Man have lyrics taking shots at popular rappers like Drake, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, and even Lupe Fiasco. Kill Her, however, is the most notable example, a vicious song that absolutely rips into the late Eazy-E's widow, and her record label Ruthless Records. The Ill Mind of Hopsin 4 song also takes a jab at Tyler the Creator. He has clarified the jab at Lupe Fiasco was for claiming he could skateboard and does say he likes his music, at the very least.
- Ill Mind of Hopsin 5 is one for most modern day rappers and their fans.
- The Teetotaler / Straight Edge: He is very vocal of his disapproval of drugs and alcohol.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He gives one to the entire rap fanbase in "Ill Mind of Hopsin 5".