"I'm gonna slice and dice cause murder's my vice. I'll stab you once, twice maybe even thrice. Carve initials in your liver. Make you quiver, deliver. Yeah, that'd be nice. I'll dissect your heart. Rip your entrails apart. Hack off your head. And that's just the start"
Horrorcore rap music is essentially Gangsta Rap meets Horror Tropes
, with a touch of bloodthirsty metal for good measure. There's dispute over where the genre originated, but it's agreed that the Geto Boys
, Ganksta N-I-P, Brotha Lynch Hung
and Insane Poetry
were the forebears of the genre. Horrorcore is more or less gangsta rap turned up to 11. Expect subject matter to cover cannibalism, rape, torture, infanticide, occultism, necrophilia and other horrible things For the Evulz
Could be said to be to Hardcore Hip Hop
what Death Metal
is to Thrash Metal
. See also Gangsta Rap
Artists in the genre include:
- Anybody Killa
- Axe Murder Boyz
- BobENite: Evil Sounds Deep Averted.
- Big Hoodoo
- Brotha Lynch Hung
- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony: Early works from the rap group.
- Blaze Ya Dead Homie
- Butchers' Haremnote
- Cannibal Carib
- Con Crete
- Corpse Circus: Parody the genre
- Dark Half
- DMX on his first two albums, before shifting away from the style on his third album.
- Eazy E, in some tracks from the album "Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton".
- Eminem (Relapse only, though MMLP, SSLP, and MMLP2 have shades of the style)
- Evil Pimp
- Ganksta N-I-P: Believed to have created it.
- Geto Boys: Pioneered this style.
- Gravediggaz, featured as the page image.
- Grimm Real (the side project of Mike Smith of Suffocation fame, only released one long out-of-print mixtape, but Smith has stated that he intends to revive the project)
- House Of Krazees
- ROC, as a solo rapper and as a member of the above group
- Twiztid is a duo formed out of the other two guys from House of Krazees
- Insane Clown Posse
- Insane Poetry
- Jedi Mind Tricks
- The Jokerr
- King Gordy
- Kid Crusher
- Krucifix Klan
- Lil Ugly Mane, whose work is essentially one long tribute to Triple 6 Mafia.
- MC Bushpig
- NWA protege The D.O.C.'s Helter Skelter album.
- OFWGKTA sometimes shows hints of this, although they deny this constantly.
- Razor Ruckus
- Reverend Fang Gory
- Stitch Mouth: Deep South Horrorcore.
- Shy One
- Smallz One
- Sodoma Gomora
- Syko Sam, who released an EP called "I Kill People For Real"... and allegedly did just that!
- Three 6 Mafia's underground work when they were called Triple 6 Mafia.
- Tech N9ne
- X-raided, whose lyrics were used to convict him of first-degree murder.
Record labels centered around this genre:
Horrorcore often provides examples of the following tropes: