Twiztid was once referred to as the "proteges" of Insane Clown Posse. In actuality, Twiztid's members, Jamie Madrox and Monoxide, were originally from another Detroit Horrorcore/Acid Rap group, House of Krazees (the duo was once known as "Mr. Bones" and "Hektic"), and have been around since the same time as ICP. In recent years, Twiztid has come out of ICP's shadow somewhat and established themselves as a major act in Detroit hip hop, even gaining a few fans from ICP's Hatedom.Twiztid's subject matter usually revolves around the duo's varied interests, including horror movies (both), comics, toys (both, but Jamie Madrox heavily), marijuana (both) and cigarettes (Monoxide).2012 saw Twiztid leaving their position as hosts of Ashtrays & Action Figures, a show on Psychopathic Radio, and eventually departing from Psychopathic Records altogether after the release of their Abominationz album.
This group and its works are related to the following tropes:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Jenny, the overweight, obsessed wannabe fan who calls herself a "Juffalo" (voiced by Jamie Madrox). Appears in the song "Hound Dogs" and multiple skits.
- And I Must Scream / Buried Alive: All of The Above, which is a POV story from the perspective of a self-aware corpse slowly rotting in his casket.
- Darker and Edgier: "W.I.C.K.E.D." ("Wish I Could Kill Every Day") is promoted as Twiztid's darkest album, which it is.
- Excessive Evil Eyeshadow: The distinguishing feature of the duo's makeup job. It forms a nice contrast to their sister act, Insane Clown Posse, who prefer more elaborate facial patterns.
- Fat and Proud: Jamie Madrox had no illusions about his weight, and had in fact made it a part of his persona.
- Averted as of late, as Jamie is quite thin now.
- Fat and Skinny: Twiztid were once identifiable thusly: Jamie was the fat one, and Monoxide was the skinny one. Both are skinny now, though.
- Hell Hotel: Kross Roads Inn portrays the duo as a pair of skeptical ghost hunters who find themselves trapped in one. Needless to say, they don't remain skeptics for long.
- One of Us: Jamie. Full stop. When you base your stage name off of the Multiple Man...yeah.
- Mockumentary: Born Twiztid. Unlike Insane Clown Posse's Shockumentary, Born Twiztid focuses solely on Jamie and Monoxide's fictional backstory and is played for laughs.
- Motor Mouth: Madrox raps his ass off in their new track "Abominationz", which is also the title of the album.
- Obsession Song
- Rap Rock: "Mutant (Vol. 2)" is distinctive from the rest of Twiztid's catalog, which is primarily hip hop, in that it is actually a rock album. Also, some of their other songs are like this as well.
- Separated at Birth: In their on-stage personas, Madrox and Monoxide claim to be twin brothers who were separated at birth and reunited as adults.
- The Stoner: Madrox and Monoxide.
- Smoking Is Cool: Monoxide. His favorite brand? Newports. His stage name hints at this, being a reference to the Carbon Monoxide in cigarette smoke.