Music / Papa Roach
is a rock band that was formed in 1993 in Vacaville, California. Lead singer Jacoby Shaddix and drummer Dave Buckner met on the Vacaville High School football field during an intense match, where the two ended up talking about music. They were later joined by trombonist Ben Luther and bass guitarist Will James. Soon after trombonist Ben Luther was replaced by lead guitarist Jerry Horton from nearby Vanden High School. Horton was introduced to the band through his girlfriend, who was a fan. However, Jerry was at first apprehensive about joining the band because Jacoby, Buckner, and Will all went to different high schools. The band's name comes from Shaddix's step-grandfather, Howard William Roatch, who was nicknamed Papa Roach. Roatch committed suicide in 2006 after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
In February 1997, the band released their first album Nu Metal Old Friends from Young Years
. Later in 2000, they released their major-label debut album titled Infest
. The first single from the album was "Last Resort" which was a big hit and still receives high radio play to this day. Infest
was followed by 2002's Lovehatetragedy
. In 2004 the band departed from the Nu-Metal sound to Alternative Rock
with Getting Away With Murder
. The album's singles were big hits with "Getting Away With Murder" and "Scars". The Paramour Sessions
was released in 2006 and the album's first single "...To Be Loved" was the theme for WWE Raw
from 2006 to 2009.Metamorphosis
was released in 2009 and followed by The Connection
in 2012 which brought back some Nu-Metal elements.
- Jacoby Shaddix: Lead vocals
- Jerry Horton: Lead guitar, backing vocals
- Tobin Esperance: Bass, programming, backing vocals
- Tony Palermo – Drums
- Dave Buckner: Drums, percussion
- Will James: Bass guitar, backing vocals
- Ben Luther: Trombone
- Old Friends from Young Years (1997)
- Infest (2000)
- Lovehatetragedy (2002)
- Getting Away with Murder (2004)
- The Paramour Sessions (2006)
- Metamorphosis (2009)
- The Connection (2012)
- F.E.A.R. (Face Everything And Rise) (2015)
- Crooked Teeth (2017)
Cut my tropes into pieces/This is my last resort:
- Chart Displacement: They only had one Top 40 hit. Must have been "Last Resort", right? Nope, it was "Scars" (which is well-remembered, but not quite on the level "Last Resort" is).
- Intercourse with You: "I Almost Told You That I Loved You"
- New Sound Album: With the release of Getting Away with Murder, the band went from nu-metal to alternative rock. Although 2012's The Connection had Jacoby bringing back raps in some songs along with some more experimental sounds.
- Revenge: It doesn't get much more vengeful than "Burn".
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Jacoby Shaddix has had many issues with alcohol over the years.
- Shout-Out: "Between Angels and Insects" is based on the greed theme of Fight Club. The music video includes similar effects used in the movie.