Music / Axe Murder Boyz
Axe Murder Boyz
are brothers Otis (James Garcia) and Bonez Dubb (Mike Garcia). They are rappers from Denver, Colorado who record music in the Horrorcore
style. Their lyrics usually involve subjects like murder, the supernatural and Juggalo
Scrub Life. They started out releasing albums for local labels. The 2005 Underground Psychos contest held at the Gathering of the Juggalos won them a one-album contract with Psychopathic Records
. Violent J
had high hopes for the duo, considering them to be "the future of Psychopathic Records" (along with another new artist signed by the label at the time, Boondox
AMB left after their sole Psychopathic release, continuing to release albums on their own label, Canonize. They had two releases on the Psychopathic subsidiary Hatchet House in 2008 and 2010, but are currently solely recording for Canonize.
AMB provides the following tropes:
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: "Crazy" mentions breaking into an ex-girlfriend's house, eating Cap'n Crunch and then killing her dog.
- Call Back: Blood In, Blood Out opens and closes with AMB singing a capella, with string instruments creeping in during the outro. Body In A Hole opens and closes with the same beat and scratching, with the outro revealing that the refrain of "The Garcia Brothers!" is the title of their next album.
- Genre Shift: "Scream My Name" starts off with a Hip-Hop beat, then shifts into Thrash Metal for a bit. Towards the end, the guitars are still there, but less heavy, and there's another rap verse.
- Also, the beat of "See Thru" changes to a completely different, funkier hip hop style when Blaze Ya Dead Homie shows up to contribute his cameo verse.
- I Love the Dead: "Old Girl" tackles this with a Black Comedy approach (although AMB's promotional clip of this song simply implies that she's a bag lady and not a corpse). A significantly darker take on this is "God Only Knows".
- Motor Mouth: Bonez has quite a few fast raps.
- Self-Titled Album: The Garcia Brothers, if it ever gets released.
- Shout-Out: Their name is a reference to a lyric from Insane Clown Posse's song "Bring It On", in which Shaggy 2 Dope calls himself a "axe murder boy".
- Shrouded in Myth: After they left Hatchet House in 2010, there were numerous rumors about their departure (including claims that Otis or Bonez had sex with the girlfriend of one of the label's higher-ups, which was revealed to be untrue). Psychopathic has dismissed all of them, and both parties indicated that the separation was on good terms.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Blood In" and "Blood Out", the intro and outro, respectively, of Blood In, Blood Out, may qualify as this, if what they were singing about wasn't murder.
- Same goes for "God Only Knows", which is not as abrasive as some of their other songs, but still creepy as hell and talks about murdering a woman, keeping her body at the murderer's house, having sex with her corpse and eating her flesh.
- "Honor", which sounds like one of System of a Down's gentler songs, except for the rapping.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz