House of Wax
is a 2005 Hillbilly Horrors Slasher Movie
. It is a remake of a 1953 Vincent Price
film of the same name
. It stars Elisha Cuthbert
, Chad Michael Murray
, Jared Padalecki
, and Paris Hilton
Carly, her boyfriend, her other friends, and her brother are on their way to a major football game. They get lost on the drive there, and are eventually lured into a Ghost Town
where a killer is waiting for them.
This film provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Bo and Vincent's parents strapped one of their children into his high chair if he was misbehaving and the mother is shown hitting him in the face. Nick and Carly's parents were emotionally abusive to Nick during his teenage years, frequently comparing him to Carly and eventually leading him to think of himself as The Unfavourite.
- Action Girl: Carly, she kills both of the villains.
- Agony of the Feet: Wade, and later, Paige.
- Annoying Arrows: Averted. One of the killers brothers is shot and impaled with two arrows. He slowly (and very painfully) pulls out one from under his arm (which releases a lot of blood, and he promptly bandages it) and then tries to remove the one from the side of his chest, but the pain makes him vomit. Rather than risk passing out and bleeding to death he just cuts off the end of the arrow, leaving the rest in his chest. While one could argue that he should still have died from these injuries, Carly beats him to death with a baseball bat later anyway.
- Backup Twin: At the end of movie Bo and Vincent are revealed to have a third brother. He's not a triplet though, evidenced by the beginning scene.
- Bad Ass:
- Nick. Not once, not twice, but three times encountering and singlehandedly beating the hell right out of the main villain, including shooting him with a crossbow. Considering that one of these encounters involves the villain ambushing him with a knife, and the other has him effectively outnumbered in a slowly-melting house...
- Carly, in a way, qualifies. Having the self control to calm down and use her own blood after having her finger cut off to open her recently glued mouth so she can warn her brother was pretty impressive.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted for the females as Carly gets her finger cut off and her lips glued together meaning she has to pull them apart and spends the rest of the film with a bloody mouth. Even Paige gets stabbed in the ankle. However Nick manages to go through the whole film with only just a little bit of dirt on himself.
- Can Only Move the Eyes
- Convection Schmonvection: The main characters escape from said house as it melts and burns, not bothered by the heat at all.
- Conspicuous CG: Averted. The melting of the house in the finale looks pretty realistic.
- Country Mouse: Mocked by Nick as he makes fun of Wade not wanting to move to New York.
- Dead Guy on Display
- Death by Disfigurement: Averted; the Final Girl has one of her fingers cut off and survives.
- Decoy Protagonist: Wade.
- Developing Doomed Characters: You're begging for them to start dying about a minute into their introduction.
- Don't Go in the Woods
- Evil Twin: Discussed by Carly. She said Nick often got a hard time from their parents, leading to him thinking of himself as the evil twin. Bo is Vincent's Evil Twin.
- Fanservice: Nick removes his shirt for Carly to wear which allows viewers to see Chad Michael Murray shirtless and doubles by placing Elisha Cuthbert in a tank top for the rest of the movie. Oh and Paris Hilton's striptease of course.
- Fate Worse than Death: Wade. He gets turned into a wax sculpture, but doesn't die right away...
- Fingore: Bo cuts the tip off of one of Carly's fingers.
- Forceful Kiss: Averted. After gluing Carly's mouth closed, Bo seeming attempts to kiss her... but instead blows on the glue to help it dry faster. Though he does kiss her on the forehead.
- Hillbilly Horrors: This version takes place in the countryside with psycho killers.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Bo towards Carly. It would have probably gone further had Nick and Dalton not come.
- In Name Only: The movie's plot seems to have been lifted almost completely from an obscure 1979 horror called Tourist Trap.
- MacGuffin: The college football game that Blake is dying to see is what causes the gang to be traveling that particular weekend.
- The Place
- Plot-Induced Stupidity: All over the place.
- Rule of Sexy: Why, exactly, does Paige feel the need to strip down to her lingerie and do a striptease right before breaking the news that she's pregnant to her boyfriend? The director probably doesn't know either. But, dammit, they paid for Paris Hilton's bod, and they were gonna show it off!
- They were about to have sex, but she stopped because she wanted to actually talk instead of fool around.
- Shout-Out: The villain is named Vincent.
- Sibling Rivalry
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: Blonde Paige is killed. It's no coincidence that Elisha Cuthbert who plays Carly has her normally blonde hair brunette in this film.
- Traumatic Haircut: If you allow facial hair, Wade gets his beard and eyebrows waxed off against his will.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Nick and Blake.
- Wax Museum Morgue
- The X of Y