open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The assassin Sheele from Akame ga Kill! wields Extase, a giant pair of scissors that are capable of cutting through anything tangible. It also comes with a cute panda design on the holding pin. In addition, an alternate spelling of her name, Schere, means scissors in German.
- Banjo Yoriko from Abnormal Kei Joshi happily threatens others with her pair of scissors she keep on hand at all times.
- Urabe Mikoto from Mysterious Girlfriend X, wields absurdly sharp safety scissors.
- Kiri from The Severing Crime Edge, wields Crime Edge: an Ancestral Weapon passed down by his serial killer ancestor, Grayland.
- Kirihime from Dog & Scissors, names her scissors Hasajiro.
- Cancer from Fairy Tail wields two, presumably to go with his crab theme. Worth noting that he's also a hair stylist.
- Souseiseki from Rozen Maiden, uses garden shears as her Weapon of Choice.
- Kaoru Koganei of Flame of Recca, has the third form of his Kogan Anki: Kyoku, which are basically giant shears.
- In Senki Zesshou Symphogear, Kirika's Twin Cutter Cinderella fuses her two scythes into a giant scissors.
- Ryuko Matoi from Kill la Kill wields half a giant pair of scissors. Nui Harime wields the other half, but Ryuko later repossesses the other half from Nui.
- Specifically the Sword Scissors resemble the type of scissors used to cut cloth (sometimes known as dressmakers scissors) which is appropriate given the plot.
- One Piece
- Inazuma has the power to turn his body parts into scissors that can cut through anything and allow him to manipulate the pieces as if they were paper.
- Gekko Moriah uses a huge pair of scissors to cut off people's shadows. The scissors double as a Bifurcated Weapon, since they can be split into two swords.
- Chou Koumei from Soul Hunter wields a big pair of scissors called Kinkousen. Uniquely it's not used to cut stuff, but to summon giant rainbow-colored dragons.
- Chick, the Gandor brothers' Torture Technician from Baccano!, uses scissors as his weapon to the point that he treats them as an extension of his body.
- Gertrud, the first witch to appear in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, has a gardening theme. To that end, she uses vines with giant scissors on the ends. Her familiars have smaller scissors, which, when not menacing Muggles, they mostly use to cut roses for her.
- A pharmacist is murdered in Psycho-Pass by having a pair of scissors stabbed in his mouth.
- In Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Over uses a giant pair of scissors as his default weapon.
- In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Enya carries a pair of scissors on her at all times. Normally, she lets her Stand powers do the work, but she is always ready to bring out those scissors if enemies get too close or if enemies are successfully avoiding her Stand's attacks. For an old lady, she is absurdly quick with them. Unlike most examples of this trope, however, she never opens the blades, instead only stabbing people with the scissors fully closed.
- In Code Geass: Oz the Reflection, one of the many weapons in the Byakuen's Swiss Army Weapon right arms is the "Type 3 Rough Bite Shears"; the individual halves also function as Hot Blades, and when closed they form an even larger blade.
- Shadow Gale from Magical Girl Raising Project wields a giant pair of scissors as one of her two weapons of choice.
- In the second season of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, the Gusion Rebake Full City's shield/rear skirt can turn into a gigantic pair of pliers. These are used less for cutting and more for crushing like the time its pilot killed an enemy leader by crushing his mech like a sardine can.
- In Hunter × Hunter, minor character Binolt carries a few scissors. He usually uses it as a bladed weapon, but he'll sometimes use it to cut his opponents' hair: By consuming someone else's hair, he can then learn the physical attributes and personality traits of that person.
- Princess Suyaris in Maou-Jou De Oyasumi has a massive pair of scissors that she uses for crafting new objects to make her prison cell more comfortable. This normally translates to her using it as a weapon to slaughter innocent demons and harvest their body parts as materials.
Films — Live-Action
- In Dial M for Murder Margot kills the man hired to murder her by grabbing a pair of scissors and stabbing him in the back while he is strangling her.
- Cropsy commits murders in The Burning with garden shears, which he were fond of even before his disfiguring accident.
- Edward Scissorhands has scissors for hands which he later uses to kill the sort of Big Bad.
- One of the murders in Hot Fuzz is committed via a pair of garden shears to the throat.
- In the horror anthology film Body Bags, in "The Eye" segment, Brent tries to murder his own wife with a garden shear when the late John Randall's visions turn him into a murderous lunatic as well.
- In the "People Can Lick Too" segment from Campfire Tales (1997), the guy stalking Amanda picks up a pair of old garden shears from the backyard bushes before entering her house. He kills the family dog with them, and pretends to be it under Amanda's bed.
- Not in the movie itself, but the poster for Child's Play 2 had Chucky using a pair of scissors to cut off the head of a jack-in-the-box.
- In the opening case in Minority Report, we see premonitions of a husband catching his wife and her lover in bed. He goes berserk and grabs a pair of scissors laying around to kill them both.
- In Lost River Bully carries around a pair of hand scissors. He's fond of cutting peoples' lips off with them.
- During The Dude's unconscious fever dream in The Big Lebowski, he's chased by Karl Hungus and his nihilist cronies, all carrying massive shears (a call back to when they threatened to "cut off [his] johnson"), which promptly sends him running and brings him back to reality, running down a Malibu street with cops approaching.
- In Don't Breathe, the Blind Man goes to stab Alex with a pair of garden shears during the fight in the laundry. He winds up stabbing Money's dead body instead.
- The serial killer in 22 kills his victims one every 22nd day of a month with a pair of scissors. After his death, his partner continues to do so in order to avenge him.
- One of the female zombies in the horror-comedy Doghouse has a pair of scissors in each of her hands, and she constantly tries to have a snip on the male protagonists.
- Emma Thompson is killed with scissors in a past life in Dead Again. In the present, the villain who killed her when he was a child is first stabbed in the back with scissors, then impaled on a giant scissors sculpture.
- In Uncle Sam, Sam kills Willie with a pair of garden shears (implicitly by decapitation).
- In Kamen Rider Wizard, Gremlin is able to use his two swords to form scissors. This might be in tune with his human form, Sora, as he used to be a hair stylist and still is a Serial Killer who murders with his stylists' scissors.
- Kamen Rider Scissors from Kamen Rider Ryuki, has this as his Visor, essentially a weapon that functions as a card reader. Appropriately enough, his Bond Creature is a Giant Enemy Crab.
- Kamen Rider Gatack from Kamen Rider Kabuto can combine his Gatack Double Calibur swords to turn them into giant pair of scissors for his Rider Cutting Finishing Move.
- On Monk, when an intruder attempts to strangle Natalie, she grabs a pair of scissors and stabs him in the chest with them.
- The Murder, She Wrote episode "Shear Madness" revolves around two murders committed with pruning shears.
- In the Midsomer Murders episode The Made-to-Measure Murders (S13E01) a large pair of tailor's scissors are used as the murder weapon.
- Subverted in one episode of Supernatural. Dean almost uses a pair of scissors to disembowel the Monster of the Week, but it becomes harmless before he has to.
- A strange episode of Law & Order had an elderly woman stabbed to death with a pair of pinking shears. The prime suspect was a woman who ran a dress shop and co-owned the apartment building with her very estranged brother.
- Motive: In "The One Who Got Away", the Victim of the Week is stabbed to death with a pair of garden shears.
- In To Kill a Mockingbird, Boo Radley is said to have nonchalantly stabbed his father in the leg with scissors while clipping articles from a newspaper, followed by wiping the blood off on his pants, and continuing to clip the newspaper.
- The Scissor Man in Hogfather is said to slice off the thumbs of misbehaving children. It's basically a velociraptor made of scissors.
- The scissor man in Struwwelpeter is a nightmarish version of the Shear Menace. See for yourself here.◊ (full story here)
- Brutus Beefcake: How many of the heels regarded "the Barber," especially Bobby Heenan (on color commentary), Beefcake's ex-manager, "Luscious" Johnny Valiant and Beefcake's ex-tag team partner Greg Valentine. Jimmy Hart and the Honky Tonk Man have also had similar unkind words (at least in kayfabe) for Beefcake's love of cutting hair.
- Ork Power Klaws in Warhammer 40,000 are massive hydraulic combat shears that can go through tanks. Commissar Yarrick wears one he took from an Ork Nob's corpse, to replace the arm he lost to the same Nob.
- Mega Man:
- In Bioshock Infinite, Elizabeth kills Daisy Fitzroy by stabbing her in the back with a pair of scissors.
- The Sin Scissors and Death Scissors in Devil May Cry fight using a pair of over-sized scissors. In fact, they use them as a medium to appear in the human world.
- The Oolacile Scarecrows from Dark Souls I have shears for cutting down intruders. Unfortunately, the shears are unobtainable.
- In the video game Dark Fall: Lost Souls, the Inspector uses scissors to stab some hideous grub-creatures to death, and other times as a makeshift crowbar to pry things apart. These can break, but stashes exist in certain areas to replace them.
- Vector, one of the bosses of Zenebatos in The Legend of Dragoon fights with a pair of scissors.
- Kutaro of Puppeteer fights with a pair of magical scissors called Calipers.
- In Twisted Metal (2012), Marcus Kane's daughter Sophie Kane stabbed Sweet Tooth in the eye with a pair when he was trying to kill her, leaving that distinctive eye-hole in his mask.
- Sundowner from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Dual Wields a pair of machetes that can be linked together to form a giant pair of scissors. You can buy and use them yourself after you kill him.
- The appropriately named Scissorsman/woman/twins from Clock Tower.
- Yuri from Million Knights Vermillion, wields scissors as large as she is. She separates the blades for some attacks.
- No. 7 in Mighty No. 9 uses a huge pair of scissor blades, though he prefers to detach them and use the blades like a pair of swords.
- The Pokémon Scizor has claws that function like scissors as well as, of course, being named after scissors. Naturally, it learns the move X-Scissor, and it's one of the best moves it can have since it gets same-type attack bonus from Scizor's Bug typing and takes advantage of its massive Attack stat.
- The Sega Saturn version of Symphony of the Night features an extra area called Underground Garden, which has gardeners wielding huge shears as enemies.
- Order of Ecclesia features a character named "Anna Molly" (get it? Anomaly?), who seems to warp into existence just to try and snip Shanoa's head off with a giant pair of scissors.
- Faria has the Scissors Monster, a boss which spawns flying scissors. Gold beats scissors.
- Voldo's unlockable "Tofana Scissors" in the SoulCalibur series are a pair of scissor-shaped poisoned blades.
- Nerscylla from Monster Hunter possesses a huge pair of scissor-like mandibles drenched in deadly poison. Interestingly, when not in use, these mandibles are able to be concealed within Nerscylla's body.
- It is unclear if these are actually Richard Trager's Weapon of Choice in Outlast, but he does use them prominently, such as when he cuts off two of Miles Upshur's fingers with a pair and later stabs an executive to death with them before chasing Miles around the Male Ward. It's more of a situational element he uses than an explicit case of it being what he always uses, though given he is only in one chapter, it's hard to tell the difference.
- Ethan's father in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter uses a pair of scissors to commit a Heroic Suicide in order to weaken the evil spirit that has befallen his family.
- In Salt and Sanctuary, two of the Greatswords in the game are classified as Greatscissors; one started out as two scrapped and polished greatswords joined by a pivot, the other was a (successful, but impossible to mass-produce) effort to surpass the former. The wielder can clip with the scissors with the two-handed strong attack, which is stronger than the usual stab attack provided by other greatswords. These two are widely considered to be Game Breakers, due to the fact Greatswords are broken as-is, and the shearing attack is so spammable you can reduce even bosses to confetti in a matter of scant seconds.
- In Resident Evil 7: biohazard, you will end up fighting Jack Baker, who is armed with a pair of shears made out of two chainsaws.
- Genocider Syo (called Genocide Jack in the localization) from Dangan Ronpa is a Serial Killer who crucifies their victims using custom-made scissors.
- Sayuri, one of the Yandere love interests in My Harem Heaven Is Yandere Hell, has a pair of scissors for her Weapon of Choice. For a majority of her Bad Ends, she uses them on Yuuya and/or other "threats" for her relationship with him.
- The aptly-named robot Tailor from Schlock Mercenary has a pair of built-in scissors, and since they're designed to cut nanotube fabric for making armor, they double as fearsome weapons.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: Season 2: Stocking's stockings now turn from katanas to scissor blades. Yes, those scissor blades.
- In Gravity Falls, Li'l Gideon once tried to kill Dipper Pines with a pair of lamb shears, or at least cut his tongue out.
Dipper: [Mabel]'s never gonna date you, man!
Gideon: That's a lie. And I'm gonna make sure you never lie to me again.
- In Toxic Crusaders, the incident that turned Mowerman into a mutant with gardening powers gave his right hand a pair of permanent garden shears. This leads to show's heroes calling him a mutant of "shear size and strength".
- The Flintstones: In "A Haunted House is Not a Home", Fred and Barney have to spend a night in Fred's uncle's mansion in order to inherit his fortune. Also in the house are three servants who will inherit if Fred fails to do so. All of them are carrying weapons, with the gardener carrying a huge pair of hedge clippers that he wields with ghoulish abandon.