(b. 1958) is a retired American Professional Wrestler
from Rome, GA as Arn Anderson.
He debuted under his own name in 1982 and wrestled for various independents around the Southeast before arriving in Southeastern Championship Wrestling in Alabama in 1983. He had a small run as the masked Super Olympia.
He was given his name because of his physical resemblance to Ole Anderson (Al Rogowski.) He is best known for his work in the mid-1980s and 1990s as a member of the Four Horsemen. He stayed with Jim Crockett's National Wrestling Alliance
territory until Crockett sold it to Ted Turner in late 1988, leading to Anderson, Tully Blanchard and manager JJ Dillon jumping to WWE
. (Dillon would be part of the office until he returned to WCW
in 1997 because he couldn't keep up with Vince McMahon
's work ethic.) Anderson and Blanchard would hold the WWE World Tag Team Titles
before losing them back to Demolition
in 1989. Anderson returned to WCW in 1990 and competed until neck and back injuries forced him to retire in 1997. He would work backstage as an agent until the bitter end in 2001, a role he continued in WWE. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a 4x former NWA/WCW World Television Champion
, a 3x NWA World Tag Team Champion
, a 3x WCW World Tag Team Champion
and a 1x WWE World Tag Team Champion
. He is often considered one of the best wrestlers never to hold a major singles title.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Horsemen Style Tropes":
- Alliterative Name
- Arch-Enemy: Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors
- Autobiography: Arn Anderson 4 Ever
- Badass Mustache
- Badass Normal: He wasn't physically impressive by any stretch of the imagination, but he was a very good technical wrestler. And wasn't afraid to tell you about both halves of it.
- Bash Brothers: With Ric Flair, Ole, Tully, Larry Zbyszko, Bobby Eaton
- Beard of Evil/Badass Beard
- The Dragon: To Ric Flair
- Early Installment Weirdness: When Arn Anderson made his debut, he would wear a pimp-style fedora and do outlandish, cocky promos.
- Finishing Move: DDT, Spinebuster
- Game-Breaking Injury: The neck and back injuries that forced him into retirement.
- Heel: Almost always.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: with Ric Flair
- Large Ham: Well, at least as much as one could be when he's standing next to RIC FLAIR.
- Legacy Team: Two, in fact.
- In WWE's developmental promotion OVW, Brock Lesnar and Shelton Benjamin were known as the Minnesota Stretching Crew.
- Lacey and Rain teamed in Ring of Honor, SHIMMER and elsewhere as the Minnesota Home-Wrecking Crew.
- Not Cheating Unless You Get Caught: The Horsemen were naturals at this. In fact, it's how he beat Hulk Hogan on the February 12, 1996 Nitro. Hulk had him in the Figure-Four. Woman threw powder in Hulk's eyes and Arn hit Hulk with Woman's boot and got the pinfall.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Used his native Georgia drawl as an "Anderson" from Minnesota.
- Only Sane Man: In The Horsemen he was this a lot, both in promos and in real life.
- Power Stable:
- Real Song Theme Tune: He used Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" for his one ECW appearance, which was he and Terry Funk teaming up in a losing effort against Bobby Eaton and Sabu at ECW When Worlds Collide, May 14, 1994.
- Red Baron: "The Enforcer," "Double A"
- Shout-Out: On the August 5, 1996 episode of Nitro, he cut a promo on the NWO which ended with him saying, "They send one of yours to the hospital, you send two of theirs to the morgue."
- Tag Team:
- The Minnesota Wrecking Crew, with Ole
- The Brainbusters, with Tully in WWE
- The Enforcers, with Larry Zbyszko
- Unrelated Wrestling Family: He is a member of the Kayfabe Anderson family. He was Ole's cousin, nephew and/or brother depending on the week.
- The Worf Effect: Well, WCW tried. They fed him to Erik Watts and the Renegade, but neither guy really had the talent needed to justify their pushes.
- Younger Than He Looks: During the Horsemen heyday of the mid to late 80s, he was paunchy and bearded with a receding hairline. He was in his late 20's during that time. (And would say that if he was older, the (legit) Horseman lifestyle would've killed him!!)