Pincers and clamps as weapons. A common element for Giant Enemy Crabs
and Scary Scorpions
, as well as certain Big Creepy-Crawlies
The pincers may be part of the creature's body, or some sort of Artificial Limb
. Compare Shear Menace
, where a character carries scissors as weapons.
Anime and Manga
- The pincer claws on the Astaroth Gundam in Gundam X.
- "Crab Hand" Gyro, a minor character in One Piece.
- Subverted in 52, when Hannibal transforms into a giant crab and tries to crush Steel. Steel then sacrifices his suit to break free—literally, breaking Hannibal's hand.
- The Scorpion Lady from Journey to the West seems to wield a sort of trident, but it really was her pincers.
- Orks from Warhammer 40,000 like to use Power Klaws, big hydraulic pincers that can rip through armor.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- In early editions the Apparatus of Kwalish was a large magic item that could carry passengers inside of it. With all of its extensions deployed it looked like a giant lobster, with claws that could attack an enemy in front of it, each doing 2-12 Hit Points of damage.
- Early edition monsters
- The Cave Fisher had two large pincers, each doing 2-8 Hit Points of damage.
- The Type III (Glabrezu) demon had 4 arms, two of which had pincers that did 2-12 Hit Points each.
- The Eye of the Deep had two pincers that each inflicted 2-8 Hit Points.
- The Piscodaemon's two pincers did 2-16 Hit Points each.
- Hordlings were randomly created. One of their possible attacks were pincers that did 1-4 Hit Points (plus Strength bonus).
- Huge and giant pedipalps (whip scorpions) had two pincers that each did 1-6 and 1-8 Hit Points, respectively.
- The Thessalhydra had a pincer on its tail that did 1-12 Hit Points.
- Crabmen had pincers that did 1-4 Hit Points each.
- The pincers of Violet Garbugs did 1-6 Hit Points each.
- The pernicon had pincers on the end of its abdomen. After they hit (and did 1d3 Hit Points of damage) they drained 1 point of Constitution per round from the victim.
- 50% of kuo-toa clerics above 6th level had a pincer staff with a claw on the end that could grab and hold opponents.
- The kuo-toa deity Blibdoolpoolp had two large pincers at the end of her arms that each did 4-24 Hit Points of damage.
- In the Deities and Demigods Cyclopedia Cthulhu Mythos section, the Great Race had a pincer on the ends of each of their two tentacles and the Mi-Go had two forearms ending in pincers. Both monsters' pincers did 1-8 Hit Points each.
- On the cover of the Manual of the Planes supplement was an Astral Dreadnaught, a giant monster with huge pincers on the ends of its arms.
- Module C1 ''The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan". The giant hermit crab called Kalka Kylla had two pincers, each of which inflicted 1-6 Hit Points.
- Gamma World adventure GW1 Legion of Gold: in the SAMURAI underwater facility, the Aquatron-7 vehicle had extendable arms with pincers on the ends that could be used against marine monsters.
- Pokémon: the move Vice Grip
- Pokemon with pincers include include Krabby, Kingler, Pinsir, Scizor, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Skorupi, Drapion, Clauncher, and Clawlitzer.
- Mega Man X3 has Crush Crawfish, who can use his pincers like scissors. His regular attack has him rushing to X, and if he manages to catch him, he'll repeatedly pinch X with them, dealing heavy damage. Subverted by Bubble Crab, who doesn't normally have pincers and only creates a pair of laser ones in a jumping attack.
- Mega Man Star Force has Cancer Bubble.
- Bloodlust from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which is part machete, part pincer.
- In Sengoku Basara, one of Goto Matabe's moves involves using his Precision-Guided Boomerang like a pincer by trapping an enemy between the blades and crushing them with it as slowly and torturously as possible.