Pincers and clamps as weapons. A common element for Giant Enemy Crabs
and Scary Scorpions
, as well as certain Big Creepy-Crawlies
The pincers may be part of the creature's body, or some sort of Artificial Limb
. Compare Shear Menace
, where a character carries scissors as weapons.
Anime and Manga
- Subverted in 52, when Hannibal transforms into a giant crab and tries to crush Steel. Steel then sacrifices his suit to break free — literally, breaking Hannibal's hand.
- Razer of Robot Wars, with its powerful pincer held over its wedge-shaped body like a scorpion. It tended to make a horrific mess of opponents, either puncturing their inner workings or crushing them outright.
- The Scorpion Lady from Journey to the West seems to wield a sort of trident, but it really was her pincers.
- Bruiser Costa of Canadian based All-Star Wrestling had a pair of red lobster gloves.
- Warhammer 40,000:
- Orks like to use Power Klaws, big hydraulic pincers sheathed in an energy field that can rip right through armor.
- Commissar Sebastian Yarrick killed the Ork that severed his right arm, ripped off its Power Klaw, and had it fitted to replace his arm. This is just one more reason the Orks fear and respect him.
- Daemonettes and a few other daemons of Slaanesh usually have at least one hand replaced with a hideous lobster claw. While not as powerful as an Ork Power Klaw, a lucky hit can shred an enemy to ribbons and even possibly punch through medium vehicular armor. While daemonettes arguably have a minor level of Mind Rape as a passive power, it really comes into effect when their claws leave incredibly painful wounds, a unique kind of pain that leaves their targets spasming in ecstasy.
- Crushing Claws of some Tyranid units fit the trope, also evoking somewhat Giant Enemy Crab-like image. Rule-wise, it's slow, but one of the strongest melee weapons available to these guys, allowing them to cut open freaking LandRaiders like cheapest tin cans.
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- In early editions the Apparatus of Kwalish was a large magic item that could carry passengers inside of it. With all of its extensions deployed it looked like a giant lobster, with claws that could attack an enemy in front of it. The game has also had numerous monsters like giant crabs and Glabezru demons that have powerful pincer claws they can attack with.
- Gamma World adventure GW1 Legion of Gold: in the SAMURAI underwater facility, the Aquatron-7 vehicle had extendable arms with pincers on the ends that could be used against marine monsters.
- Hollow Earth Expedition, supplement Mysteries of the Hollow Earth. An illustration on page 67 shows three humans facing off against two gigantic scorpions with huge pincers. Anyone grabbed by them would be in a world of hurt.
- BattleTech. The Crab and King Crab Battlemechs both have arms that end with stylized pincers, which close over the weapon barrels in the arms to protect them when the mech makes melee attacks. Fully weaponized pincers are covered as a Claw-type melee weapon.
- GURPS newsletter Roleplayer #10 (May 1988), adventure "The Isle of Night". The Eldritch Abomination T'Soquat has large claws that can do 4-14 Hit Points of damage. If the spell to summon it succeeds, the native villagers under its control will transform and their hands will become claws that do 1-6 Hit Points of damage.
- Villains And Vigilantes adventure Devil's Domain. The Sl'sssk demon has two huge crab-like pincers that it uses to grasp and crush its prey.
- Arduin RPG. The Compleat Arduin Book 2: Resources
- Great Black Scorpions can grow larger than a Sherman tank and have huge dangerous claws.
- The Ghost Crab is a Giant Enemy Crab with two pincers that each do 4-48 Hit Points of damage and drain a point of Constitution on each hit.
- The Greater Demon Carchanore the Death Mole has two nine-foot long arms ending in large crab-like pincers that can inflict 31-50 Hit Points of damage.
- Varanae generic RPG supplement Monstrum 1. The Forester is a tree-like monster with pincers on the ends of two its branches. Each pincer does 1-10 Hit Points of damage.
- Chaosium's All the Worlds' Monsters III has examples including the Shocker Crab, Crystal Creature, and Black Scorpion.
- The move Vice Grip
- Pokemon with pincers include include Krabby, Kingler, Pinsir, Scizor, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Skorupi, Drapion, Clauncher, and Clawlitzer.
- Mega Man X3 has Crush Crawfish, who can use his pincers like scissors. His regular attack has him rushing to X, and if he manages to catch him, he'll repeatedly pinch X with them, dealing heavy damage. Subverted by Bubble Crab, who doesn't normally have pincers and only creates a pair of laser ones in a jumping attack.
- Mega Man Star Force has Cancer Bubble.
- Bloodlust from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which is part machete, part pincer.
- In Sengoku Basara, one of Goto Matabe's moves involves using his Precision-Guided Boomerang like a pincer by trapping an enemy between the blades and crushing them with it as slowly and torturously as possible.
- Skeleton Prime from Terraria has the Prime Vice arm, a melee arm with a pincer that tries to make contact with the player and deals very heavy damage should it succeed.