Film: Ebirah Horror Of The Deep
"Listen, I've done some crazy things in my life, but I've never stuck my head inside of a hornet's nest!"
— Yoshimura to Yata, in the Titan Productions dub of the Walter-Reade TV version.
Number seven in the long running Godzilla
series and more well known under the title Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
, this film started life as a King Kong
project until the proposal was rejected in favor of King Kong Escapes
. Not wanting to put the script or monster costumes to waste, the film switched stars to Godzilla. Known in Japan as Gojira, Ebira, Mosura Nankai no Daikettō
The film begins with a young man, Yata, becoming lost at sea. His brother Ryota, certain that he's still alive out there sets out on a stolen yacht with two friends and a bank robber to search for him. On their excursion, they narrowly avoid destruction at the hands of Ebirah, a colossal crustacean guarding an island base home to a terrorist syndicate called the Red Bamboo. Using a special chemical, the Red Bamboo are able to repel their ships from Ebirah's wrath and have enslaved the natives of nearby Infant Island to produce the stuff. Evading capture, Ryota and crew meet a young native woman Dayo, who brings them to a cave on the island where Godzilla is currently slumbering. A plan is hatched to wake Godzilla with a lightning rod in order to get rid of Ebirah and the Red Bamboo and the slaves to escape and summon Mothra in order to rescue them.
For the Mystery Science Theater 3000
episode see here
The film provides examples of
- An Arm and a Leg: Godzilla rips off Ebirah's claws during their second battle.
- Bottle Episode: The bulk of the film takes place on an island with no huge city sets and the ocean. Though there is an enemy fortress for Godzilla to stomp on.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: According to Ryota, Yata always tries to help people who are in trouble.
- Comic Book Movies Don't Use Codenames: Neither the Red Bamboo or Ebirah are referred to by name in the Titan dub.
- The Dragon: Captain Ryuui to the Red Bamboo commander and Ebirah to the Red Bamboo.
- Dub Name Change: Captain Ryuui is renamed as "Commander Yamoto" in the English version.
- Eye Patch Of Power: Captain Ryuui.
- Giant Enemy Crab: Ebirah, though he's more of a Giant Enemy Lobster, or if you go by the name itself, a shrimp.
- Godzilla Threshold: The main characters decides to awaken Godzilla by using lightning to face off Ebirah and Red Bamboo. It arguably works too well as Godzilla goes thrashing their base before having a second round with Ebirah.
- Nebulous Evil Organization: The Red Bamboo. Beyond being nuclear-armed Far-East Asian Terrorists that like to use slaves, nothing is really specified about them.
- Never Trust a Trailer: Or the posters for that matter. Godzilla tussles with Mothra briefly out of just being a curmudgeony jerk it seems, but there's no three way battle between the leading monsters.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: When Godzilla starts thrashing around the place, the bad guys set a nuclear detonator to destroy the entire island.
- Summon Bigger Fish: The survivors and slaves can't hope to defeat Red Bamboo or Ebirah by themselves, so they awaken an even bigger monster to the job for them.
- Tennis Boss: Godzilla and Ebirah volley a boulder back and forth at each other in their first encounter.
- Villains Out Shopping: While not exactly villainous here, up until this point, Godzilla was a major threat to humanity. Here though, it can be interpreted that he's just taking a vacation since throughout the first half of us seeing him, he's just napping.