Someone is given an option he doesn't like, and promptly rejects it. The person who made the suggestion returns with something far worse, and On Second Thought, the first suggestion was just fine.
Summed up well by the following joke:
Genie: I can give you one wish.
Guy: I wish for world peace.
Genie: Sorry, that's far too hard to do.
Genie: ...Define "peace".
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, when Ron breaks the Szalinskis' window:
Russ: Look, we'll get it fixed, okay. We'll take it out of his allowance.
Ron: What? My allowance? No way!
Russ: Okay, we'll just have Dad pay for it, huh?
Ron: We'll take it out of my allowance.
- Evolution: An alien bug has entered the body of Harry Block.
Dr. Paulson: We might have to amputate.
Harry Block: Whoa, Doc! Don't take the leg! Ira, don't let them take my leg.
Dr. Paulson: It's headed for his testicles.
Harry Block: (shocked look) Take it! Take it! Take the leg!
: Let me ask you something, Arnzt — Arzt
: Arzt. Hurley
: Arnzt. Arzt
: No, not Arnzt. Arzt. A-R-Z-T. Arzt. Hurley
: Sorry, man. Your name's hard to pronounce. Arzt
: Oh, yeah? Well, I know a bunch of ninth graders who pronounce it just fine. Hurley
: How about I just call you by your first name? Arzt
: How about you don't? Hurley
: Why not? I remember it from the plane's manifest. I think Leslie
's a bitchin' name. Arzt
: Arnzt is fine.
- Desperate Housewives. Rex asks Bree to pick a "control word" for the sexual roleplay they're planning to do:
: How about "Boise"? Rex
: "Boise"? Bree
: What's the matter with "Boise"? Rex
: We’re going to be doing psychological role playing here, Bree, and a funny word like "Boise" would ruin the mood. We need something that sounds serious
: Hmmm. How about "Palestine"? Rex
: "Boise" will be just fine.
- Friends. Phoebe has suggested that they should have a cleansing ritual, to lose the curse of bad boyfriends:
Phoebe: "Okay. We can, um, we can burn the stuff they gave us."
Phoebe: "Or... or we can chant and dance around naked, you know, with sticks."
Monica: "Burning's good."
- The Golden Girls:
Stan: I have tickets to a Dodgers spring training game. Want to come?
Dorothy: I can't think of anything I would rather do less.
Stan: Want to go to bed with me?
Dorothy: Take me out to the ball game.
- The Daily Show: Baby New Year 2009 and Jon Stewart discuss the assault of Israel on Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
Baby New Year 2009: Can't we talk about the lighter side of 2009? You know, celebrity pregnancies, sports predictions, stuff like that?
Jon Stewart: Okay, I'll go with that. How are the Mets going to go this year?
Baby New Year 2009: Oh. Uh... you know what, let's get back to Gaza.
- Doctor Who: Subverted when the Doctor's companion actually prefers the second alternative to her Overly-Long Name Romanadvoratrelundar, but he continues to use the first one anyway:
The Doctor: I'll call you 'Romana'.
Romana: I don't like 'Romana'.
The Doctor: Well, it's either 'Romana' or 'Fred'.
Romana: Fine, call me 'Fred'.
The Doctor: All right. Come on, Romana.
- Seinfeld: In the final episode, NBC bigwigs have rekindled their interest in Jerry's pilot.
Kimbrough: And Elaine! I wouldn't mind seeing something happening between those two!
George: I tell you, I really don't think so-called 'relationship humor' is what this show is all about.
Kimbrough: Or, we could not do the show altogether, how about that?
George: Or we could get them together!
Angel: You're my secretary?
Harmony: Hello! Assistant.
Angel: Explain why I shouldn't kill you.
Harmony: Secretary's fine.
- Red vs. Blue, when O'Malley approaches Blue Team's base.
O'Malley: It's quiet... too quiet.
(a sniper round whizzes past his head
Now it's suddenly too loud. I preferred it when it was quiet.
- Also, during the Blue Team's first surrender:
Sarge: Alright, blues! First off, we want your flag...
Simmons: Wait, wait, wait just a second. The last time we got the flag, the chick in the black armor showed up.
Sarge: ...to stay right where it is. Keep the flag.
- Corner Alley 13
Noelle: "So what is your name?"
Kh'ohl: "Bat's clan Kh'ohl Kankaar Vree."
Noelle: "Ah! Cole!"
Kh'ohl: "No, Kh'ohl. And don't use my first name."
Noelle: "Mr. Cancan-tree?"
Kh'ohl: "...Cole will do."
- Circle Versus Square.
King Pentagon: Come now, there is much to discuss between us two lords. Won't you join me for tea?
Circle: Do I have a choice?
King Pentagon: Of course! TEA or DEATH.
Circle: And those are my only options?
King Pentagon: Well, I suppose if you prefer we can have tea AND death.
Circle: Just the tea, thank you.
- In Penny Arcade, a matter of word choice.
- Played with on an episode of Spongebob Squarepants:
: If you don't serve them, Mr Krabs is going to fire both of us! [Beat
] On second thought, let them wait.
- The Simpsons, when Homer became the Grim Reaper in a Halloween episode:
(Homer wakes up in the morning, puts on the Grim Reaper robe)
Homer: All right, who am I giving the finger to today?
(The name on the list is Marge Simpson, his wife)
Homer: No! Not that! Anything but that!
(name on list changes to Homer Simpson)
Homer: ...what was that first one again?
Zoidberg: So do your worst. Because no punishment could be worse than denying my freedom.
Chief Justice: You are hereby sentenced to death.
Zoidberg: Wait, let me finish!
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Iroh and Zuko ponder which is worse, the Earth Kingdom, or the Fire Nation.
: If the Earth Kingdom discovers us, they'll have us killed. Iroh
: But if the Fire Nation discovers us, we'll be turned over to Azula
: Earth Kingdom it is.
- At the end of the Danger Mouse episode 100 Million Years Lost, the narrator turns the mic over to Henry V who drones on about the Battle of Agincourt before he switches to the weather forecast.
- In an episode of Camp Lazlo, a snake is loose in the camp and Lazlo, Clam and Patsy want Raj to come with them to find it, but he doesn't want to go.
Patsy: Suit yourself, for all you know, he might still be in the cabin.
Raj: I have decided to join you.