- An actual number. It's sometimes oddly specific or, more often, doesn't fit the scale (as in, more than ten or less than one).
- Not even a number (in which case it overlaps with Counting to Potato), or left unanswered for rhetorical reasons.
Examples of an actual number:
open/close all folders
- In The Punisher MAX arc "Valley Forge, Valley Forge", this pops up on a taped interrogation of Rawlins by O'brien and the Punisher.
Rawlins: You're lovin' this shit, ain't you? Sweetie?O'brien: Scale of one to ten, where ten is watching Castle cut your dick off? Two.
- Doomguy of Doom, under the effect of a berserker pack, rates himself "12.0 on a 10.0 scale of badassness".
"How drunk is he on a scale of one to ten?"
- The title of 10 is based on this trope. Bo Derek is a "10" on a scale of one to ten.
- Sarah Silverman once opened the MTV Movie Awards with a crack at 300.
"It's named after the rating for how gay it was on a scale of one to ten."
- The Devil's Advocate:
Milton: Well, on a scale of one to ten, ten being the most depraved act of sexual theater known to man and one being the usual Friday night run-through at the Lomax household, I'd say, not to be immodest, Mary Ann and I got it on to about... seven.
- In The Sum of All Fears, when the love interest is asked "Cute scale, one to ten" about Ben Affleck's character, she responds with, "Oh, I don’t know... twelve."
- Selfie, the boss Saperstein asks his employees to rate how close they feel to each other, trying to encourage closeness among his work family. Eliza gets a zero from a coworker (and zoned out on her phone during the meeting anyway) and spends the rest of the episode trying to work on fixing that. During his own work friendship hijinks, Henry ends up getting a zero as well (causing Eliza to butt in and elbow him, laughing that they got the same) By the end, she tells Henry she feels a six for him, and he says a 4.7, rounding up to 5, showing their growing closeness.
- Friends: Chandler snarked at Joey who was over thirty and thought he could pull a teenager on a commercial.
Chandler: Yes, on a scale from one to ten, ten being the dumbest a person can look, you are definitely nineteen.
- Babylon 5:
"Mr. Garibaldi, on a scale of one to ten... just how stupid do you think I am?"
- How I Met Your Mother, episode "Wait For It": Barney evaluates women's hotness on a scale which is implicitly from one to ten. The aim is to find a woman hotter than Robin so that Ted would "win" the breakup.
Barney: Tonight we're gonna get you someone way hotter than Robin. OK, Robin's a ten. Fine. We'll get you a twelve. Or, you know, two sixes. Failing that, three fours. And break glass in case of emergency, we'll go to Staten Island, I'll get you twelve ones.
- An episode of NCIS has Tony visiting a website called "judgemytush.com", and his teammates get in on the tush-judging. Ziva gives McGee a 4/5, and Tony only gets a 2.
- Usher's "Yeah" included the lyric:
"Cause on a one-to-ten she's a certified twenty"
- From The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer:
- One of the Heart-to-Hearts in Xenoblade has the following exchange between Shulk and Fiora in one of its alternate routes:
Fiora: What should you say next?
Shulk: Umm... I know this one. I would be honoured if you, Fiora, would accompany me here again.
Fiora: Hmm... I'll give you 7/10. Nice try. For you that's a pass, though. Next time you better bowl me over with a 10/10.
- Things Mr. Welch Is No Longer Allowed to Do in an RPG remind us to always take a closer look at the scale itself:
"589. If my gun on a scale of 1-10 is a 7, it's vetoed if that's the Richter scale."
- Paranatural has this.
Max: Your grin was at least an 8.3 on the international scale of creepy.
Alt Text: That lamp clocks in at a solid 7.6.
- In this strip from El Goonish Shive, when Jerry hears discussion of teenagers experimenting with magical technology for fun:
Jerry: I don't have enough information to conclude how concerned I should be. One to ten it for me.
Susan: Three. Her boyfriend knows what he's doing in his lab, and his dad's the former head of the local paranormal division of the government.
- In Freefall, Raibert puts disasters on a scale of 1 to 10. And nothing's ever a ten.
- In one episode of The Simpsons, Marge gets her bag stolen and refuses to leave her home. The family escort her outside, while she tells how much fear she feels, and after Homer angers a swarm of bees, she starts going going above ten.
- In Muppet Babies, when Kermit is selling a song to Piggy, who is playing a country singer.
"I don't know quite how to tell you this, Kermit, but on a scale of one to ten, that song was... minus twelve! It's horrible!!"
- At the end of the Adventure Time episode "Wizard Battle", the Ice King asks Finn and Jake to rate his new sunglasses.
Ice King: On a scale of one to ten, one being like totally gross, ten being like "Dang, Ice King, you look crazy sick!".
- In the Rocket Power episode "Bruised Man's Curve", Otto returns to the Shore Shack after a painful day of training on the titular mountain board course. When Sam asks Otto to rate his pain on a scale from 1 to 10, Otto replies, "12."
Examples of non-numbers:
- Just before the Siege of Asgard:
- Inside Out:
Disgust: On a scale of one to ten, I give this day an F.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
"How'd it go?"
"On a scale of one to ten? It sucked."
Richie: How's it looking, Eddie?Eddie: On a scale of one to ten, I'd say it's bicycle clip time.
- Dirty Jobs did this in one bumper asking the viewers for ideas, as part of a Hurricane of Puns:
Mike Rowe: So, on a scale of one to ten, I'd say these dirty jobs... kicked my bass. And that's no carp.
- Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki:
"On a scale from one to bad, this is pretty fucked up."
- Ménage à 3:
"On a scale from one to ten, how fired am I?" note
- Schlock Mercenary brings us this:
Kevyn: Well, on a scale of "that's not free checking" to "heat death of the universe," I'd say we're looking at "the enemy has a super-weapon we can't track."
- Paranatural also has one of these: "On a scale of yes to no? Yes."
- Between Failures #402:
"On a scale from zero to fucked, how much trouble am I in, do you think?"
"Uhm... like, a handjob, I guess. I'm not sure I understand the scale."
"No. I think you've got it..."
- In Faux Pas, on a scale of one to ten, he's Wile E. Coyote.
- In MS Paint Masterpieces, Heat Man offers this insight while observing a Harmony-infected Fire Man.
"Wow. On the retard scale of 1 to 10, this guy's a J."
- In Worm, when Noelle breaks out from her cell in Chapter 16.13:
- Yogscast Minecraft Series: In the infamous Voltz incident (after Sips_ and Sjin set off a red matter bomb), Lewis was sent to rate the level of destruction.
Lewis: Um... [beat] ...What the holy shit is this...? Guys??
Simon: How bad?
Lewis: This is really bad. This is so bad.
Simon: Out of a scale of one to ten, how bad is it?
Lewis: Uh-This is horrendous! FUUUUUUCK!! What th-What the shit do I do?