We love to have lists, and having the list as a top ten seems to be one of the most popular forms.
Seen It a Million Times
when it comes to things like sales, box office, critical favorites, popular favorites, etc.
- #10: In the "Weird Al" Yankovic parody "Living With A Hernia", the bridge section names several forms of the ailment. In the video, a top ten list accompanies it, despite the list having only nine elements.
- #9: Wayne's World did a top ten list once in a while. One was the Trope Namer for Why We Are Bummed Communism Fell, with such gems as: having to memorize new maps, never going to "find out what that thing on Gorby's head is", and the worry that "spy stuff" is gonna suck".
- #8: In a Futurama episode, Bender was rigged with a bomb that would go off when he said his favorite word. This was explained by revealing a list of his top ten most common words (presented in the same style as Letterman's), although he has only actually said a few of them.
- He said every word on the list in that specific episode, resulting in a few odd lines like "hot diggity daffodil", although the majority of the list has only been said in that episode. Also, 4 of the words appear in his Catchphrase.
- #7: Cracked is pretty much all Top N Lists. In fact they have claimed to be the world's leading producer of list based humor.
- #6: GameFAQs posts a new user-created top ten list on the homepage every day.
- #5: Gametrailers.com has an occasional top ten list of things about gaming.
- ScrewAttack, which is hosted on gametrailers.com, has its own Top Ten List section, but they generally like to mix things up a bit, for instance having Best and Worst of... (5 each). And then there is the Top 10 PS3 exclusives... which doesn't start until number 7 because there just weren't enough titles around that qualified.
- Two years later they redid the list with a full 10.
- Screwattack also has a couple of top-20s
- #4: In one episode of Mr Deity, Mr. Deity, Jesus and Larry are coming up with a "Top Ten List" that turns out to be the Ten Commandments. Does that count?
- #3: Christian and Scott's Interactive Top Ten List is long-running example on the internet. (Twice-weekly for ten or so years now..)
- #2: One episode of Garfield and Friends revolved around Garfield interrupting the action repeatedly to present a top ten list relevant to the episode's events.
- And the #1 example of a Top Ten List: David Letterman's top ten lists. Started as a Deconstructive Parody.