ScrewAttack, officially known as ScrewAttack Entertainment LLC, is a video game-related Web site that showcases original entertainment for an audience of video game enthusiasts. Its content is also shown on GameTrailers.com and IGN. The name and logo come from the "screw attack" ability from the Metroid
series. Their fanbase is affectionally called "g1s", based in part of an old radio term.
They've even developed their own iPhone game, The Texting Of The Bread
, an obvious parody of Typing of the Dead
. On September 20, 2013, their second game, Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
, was released.
As of March 28 2014, ScrewAttack
has been acquired by, and is the new brand face, of the YouTube
You can check out their website right here.
Subpages & Related Pages
- April Fools' Day: In 2011 and 2013, they had Ben read butchered scripts for Hard News.
- Arc Words: For months prior to the announcement of the first Screwattack Gaming Convention, the letters SGC would appear randomly in videos.
- Ascended Extra: Sort of — "Metal Gear Ben" was originally featured as a skit on Metal Gear Solid in the Clip of the Week before it became popular enough to warrant its own series.
- Played straight with some of the regular staff members, who started out as interns for the site before being promoted to full members of the staff.
- Ascended Fanboy: Some of the Screwattack interns were already members of the g1 community before they got hired.
- Author Appeal: Street Fighter. So much so, that their review was just every single member of the team telling you to buy it.
- Berserk Button: In character, do not mention Battletoads around Maxifent Corey. EVER. One video in particular shows Corey on a berserker rampage around the office as a result, to the beat of One-Winged Angel.
- For the fan base, insulting any of the team is this, but it escalates when someone insults the only girl who works at the site. One particular troll made an especially sexist remark about Corey in one video; the fanbase returned fire in the same thread immediately, and some praised Corey for standing up for herself when she personally broadsided him.
- For the moderators on Screwattack, any variation of the question "Where is Handsome Tom?".
- For Stuttering Craig in the Top 10 Space Marines video, never insinuate that anybody is manlier than Mike Haggar. Otherwise you get a punch to the throat.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: When discussing Centaur Man in Mega Man 6:
Craig: You are a man, who is a horse, who is a robot, making you Manhorsemanbot! Mmhmm. (tongue noise)
- Butt Monkey: Nervous Nick is blamed anytime something breaks.
- Daily Destin - In a Clip of The Week featuring Nervous Nick turning into a Toucan that eats people (It makes sense in context), Corey grabs an "In Case of Emergency" Shotgun to shoot Nick, she turns and shoots Destin instead when he walks out of a door. When asked why she shot Destin & not Nick, she responds "It was the greater evil" and everyone else just goes with it. Then when Nick returns to normal, we get this little exchange:
Stuttering Craig: Well... At least nobody important died this time.
Freelance Bryan The Intern: What about Destin?
Jose El Mexicano: Dude - "Nobody important".
- Deadpan Snarker: Daily Destin is the most prominent example, but everyone has their moments of it.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? - When a gigantic velociraptor was going to cause the end of the world on May 21st 2011, Ben walked up while people were planning what to do and just shot it in the head.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In-universe, Stuttering Craig shot Bryan Baker, one of three reviewers who took his place while he was gone.
- Everything's Cuter With Kittens in order to attempt to justify Golden Eye 1997 007 to be on top of their top 10 lists, they use kittens.
- Namely, they use a montage of the game they are mentioning with the characters having kitten heads if they do not want to explain how good the game is for the ump-teenth time. (This was done for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, only with the kitten heads being placed on the Mooks Michelangelo throws at the screen.)
- Fandom: Of Zangief, of all people.
- Fanservice: Top 10 Boobies and Top 10 Sexiest Outfits.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Jared frequently employs this on Hard News.
- Glad I Thought of It: In the Clip of the Week for August 24, 2013, Ben pulls this on Nick with the idea to copy Sony and make the Ouya look better by making fun of their competitors' mistakes.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Nick is the only crew member not to drop any swear words. Justified as he grew up in a Christian household.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: Subverted in the Video Game Vault review of S.C.A.T. on NES: Craig pointed out the elephant in the room right away: "Ha ha, "scat" means "poop", ha ha", only to say that the people who laughed at the title probably never actually played the game to discover it's pretty good.
- Humiliation Conga: Nick went through one when Craig found out that he cheated his way out of a forfeitnote . In retaliation, the crew cream-pied him for the rest of the day, made him dress as a clown and pranked him constantly.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the "Top 10 Worst Mortal Kombat Characters" video, Craig criticized Stryker for wearing a backwards baseball cap.
- Hypothetical Fight Debate: Screw Attack has Death Battle, a web series involving one-on-one matchups against characters all over the realm of fiction.
- The Insomniac: Craig is one in the Video Game Vault review of Super Troll Islands after being disturbed by it.
- Karma Houdini: Stuttering Craig - For example, in the Clip of The Week featuring Corey's rampage after she had been told that Battletoads was getting a remake on the Wii, Craig manages to completely avoid Corey's path of destruction, and even turns up at the end purely to laugh at her after she stopped being angry & fell into a depression. Oh, and it was Craig who played the initial video that pressed Corey's Berserk Button, with the sole intention of causing Corey to get go crazy.
- Nervous Nick used to be this when it came to forfeits, until they made him pay it off in one day...
- Kicked Upstairs: Maxifent Corey, Daily Destin, and Jose El Mexicano all left the site after getting jobs elsewhere.
- Large Ham: Nervous Nick in the 3D Dinosaur Adventure Video Game Vault.
Nick: OH. MY. GOSH! DINOSAURS IN 3D! IT'S SO AWESOME! IT'S THE WAY OF THE FUTURE! IT'S DINOSAURS IN THREE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...
- Love Potion: Top 10 Games That Make You Want to Bone.
- Mood Whiplash: Craig's review of Izzy's Quest For the Olympic Games is mostly a normal review until he brings up how Richard Jewell, the guy that was initially suspected of being behind the 1996 Olympics bombing, died.
- Most Annoying Sound: Invoked. In the Video Game Vault about Space Station Silicon Valley, Craig (who wasn't reviewing the game but was in the office at the time Nervous Nick was reviewing it) got irritated at an ear-piercing sound effect in the game, and dared Nick to perform the sound again. When he did, Craig walked over and shut off the N64, despite Nick's pleads that he was really far in the game.
Nick: This is going in the review.
- Nice Hat: Stuttering Craig's cap.
- Obligatory Joke: In the "Top 10 Robot Masters" video when discussing Guts Man:
: And yes, he's got one of the most recognizable butts on the internet. (footage from the Mega Man
cartoon is shown where Rush bites off a disguise, revealing Guts Man's butt underneath) Okay there, we said it. Now find a different joke, internet.
- Pinball Scoring: "One point per block? At least put a few extra zeroes on the end to make it feel like an achievement!"
- Red Baron: Everyone on the team. Ever.
- Stuttering Craig
- Jose El Mexicano
- Daily Destin
- Nervous Nick
- High School Ben (later abandoned due to his graduating High School)
- Professional Jared
- Subverted in that all the interns are simply "X the Intern", whilst Bryan & Chad's nicknames are more their job titles than actual nicknames.
- These days, every staff member has abandoned their nicknames, with the exception of Craig and Nick.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Back in the early years of ScrewAttack, Craig was the brash, loud Red Oni, while Tom was the laid-back, soft-spoken Blue Oni.
- Revenge: In the Video Game Vault of Trojan, Craig tells a story from his childhood about how he traded games with another kid from the neighborhood; they got Metroid and he got Trojan. Unfortunately for Craig, the kid never returned Metroid. Twenty-some years later, Craig is fed up and visits the guy's house, beats him up and takes his Metroid back. Plus another game for good measure.
- Running Gag: Corey accidentally making a sexual remark, and then immediately realising it.
- Jose eating Ben, usually when he's dressed up as Metal Gear Ben - So much so, that the only line Jose had in the first episode of Metal Gear Ben was "I'm gonna eat you."
- Shout-Out: In the Wrestlemania 2000 Video Game Vault, Craig (a pro wrestling fan in real life) called out a user who bashed Screw Attack in the style of Dwayne Johnson:
Craig: Talkin' smack out of your ass about how we don't love our millions... you don't know crap! If ya smelalalalalalalalaaaa..... what Craig... is cookin'.
- Spoiler: In the Top 10 Fat Guys in Games list, Craig casually spoiled the ending to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, justifying that it had been out for two years. Nervous Nick complained that when he previously spoiled a different title, he was criticized.
- Stealth Insult: In the Top 10 Worst Mortal Kombat Fatalities:
Craig: But in order to look at the absolute worst, I had to bring in the master of all things "suck": Nervous Nick.
- Take That: Craig's NSFW warning for the Goriest Black Ops Moments is a shot at bad parenting and the blame that games make kids violent.
: As mature adults over 18, we can watch this and separate fiction and reality. If you're not 18 and watching this, then ask your parents' permission before continuing. Seriously, don't be a little bitch and complain about nightmares you had from watching this or tell your counselor you learned your bad behavior from video games. If you're jacked up, it's because your parents don't love you.
Yeah, I said it.
- In the Video Game Vault for 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker, Craig said it has less excitement than the WNBA.
- That Came Out Wrong: In the Top 10 8-Bit Boss Themes, Craig said "Mega Man 2, give it to me..... not in that sexual way."
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: Death Battle.
- Unfortunate Implications: Invoked in the Top 10 Worst Robot Masters. One of the picks was Splash Woman, and the reason she made the list was because Capcom sort of undermined their point that she was the first female robot master by having her be the easiest boss to beat. In Craig's words, "Implying that women are inferior to men. Nice, Capcom, nice."
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Nick & Ben took part in a chili-eating contest, where the loser would have to go to E3 dressed as Princess Peach. However, both vomited (one of the conditions to forfeit) and thus, they were both to go to E3, dressed as Peach and Donkey Kong, respectively. This never happened, likely due to a case of Real Life Writes the Plot, preventing Nick from making the trip.
- However, said salsa eating challenge recently made its way onto their Youtube account. About a week after it did, the Side Scrollers episode, "Mommy's Spiked Milkshake" covered the topic saying that even after 4.5 years they have yet to do such a thing... they then go on saying they hope to finally conclude the challenge in the upcoming SGC.
- With Lyrics: In the Top 10 8-Bit Boss Themes, Brental Floss added lyrics to the boss themes to Batman and River City Ransom.