Web Video: Talking Classics
The New York Examiner wrote a story on me recently. They're like, "Keith Apicary has the mind of a 14-year-old boy, and the body of your uncle." But what they forgot to mention is that I've got the energy of the Ultimate Warrior, the agility of the Heartbreak Kid, and the durability of Mankind!A late '90s documentary about a 28-year-old gaming geek named Keith Apicary, shown primarily on Internet sites such as ScrewAttack, GameTrailers, and YouTube. Keith is an archetypical loser: balding, socially awkward, a Casanova Wannabe, and not very bright. He's a huge fan of video games, particularly more obscure ones like SNK's Neo Geo, various Sega consoles like the Genesis and Dreamcast, and Nintendo's Virtual Boy. Many of the Talking Classics videos are interviews with keith, who talks about and gives reviews of the games or consoles in question. They're often interspersed with scenes seemingly of Keith's daily life, which is... interesting, to say the least. He frequently collaborates with other Internet personalities like Brentalfloss and Fantomenk.Keith also makes appearances at gaming conventions such as PAX, E3, and SGC, where he usually goofs around with his fans, pulls stunts, has awkward conversations with random people, and gets into bizarre hijinks. Perhaps not coincidentally, he has also been kicked out of many conventions. He has been referred to as "the Borat of the gaming world".In the current Story Arc, Keith has called out WWE wrestler Dolph Ziggler, claiming he needs an "attitude adjustment". Every so often, they respond to each other in video form. note In actuality, the show's a Mockumentary produced in the late 2000s by actor and comedian Nathan Barnatt. Keith is just a character Nathan plays. The series can be watched either on Screw Attack, GameTrailers or Nathan Barnatt's YouTube channel. The series' website can be found here.
— Keith Apicary
Talking Classics provides examples of
- Actor/Role Confusion: Not helped by Nathan making public appearances as Keith.
- Amusing Injuries: During "Keith Apicary VS Dolph Ziggler", Keith gives a rundown of the various stunts he's done (including videos).
- Animation Bump: The "modern-day" videos such as conventions and the Dolph Ziggler videos are in noticeably higher quality than the "documentary" videos. Can be explained by Keith having better recording equipment in-universe.
- Asperger Syndrome: Never directly stated, but it seems very likely that Keith has Aspergers.
- Back from the Dead: Keith is nearly killed during the Virtual Boy music video, but the Virtual Boy saves him.
- Bald of Awesome: Nathan Barnatt is actually balding in real life, so naturally Keith is too.
- Bloodless Carnage: No matter what he does, Keith very rarely seems to be seriously injured by his stunts.
- Casanova Wannabe
- Console Wars: Keith prefers Sonic to Mario.
- Corpsing: In-universe. Keith is clearly laughing at his own jokes in the Dolph Ziggler videos.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: A rather funny one. During the VGAs, Keith asks voice actress Ali Hillis for her address, and then she offhandedly mentions having a husband. After that, she pauses for a moment and looks at the camera, as if realizing what she just said.
- The Ditz: Keith to a T. His sister Kelly is smarter, but not by a whole lot.
- Fan Disservice: We really needed to see Keith dance in his tighty whities. Worse yet is his bare ass in part 2 of the E3 2010 video.
- Genki Girl: Kelly.
- Genius Ditz: Not only is Keith naturally really good at video games (especially Metal Slug), but he's actually a great dancer.
- Kavorka Man: Though he doesn't officially have a girlfriend, female fans in the convention videos seem to love Keith.
- The Klutz: A lot of gags in both normal and convention videos involve Keith crashing into things or falling. In fact, the Virtual Boy video consists entirely of him crashing into things while playing the Virtual Boy in public.
- Loser Protagonist
- Man Child: Keith, naturally. Just read the page quote.
- Naked People Are Funny: "Keith Apicary's Victory Dance" consists of Keith dancing in various public places such as malls and plazas clad only in his tighty whities. Doubles as a Funny Moment and an Awesome Moment, since he somehow didn't get arrested.
- Nerdcore: The Neo Geo and Virtual Boy music videos.
- Nerds Are Virgins
- No Social Skills
- One of Us: One of the driving factors behind his antics at the Spike Video Game Awards 2010 was to prove that many of the guests and people there weren't actual video game fans. Some of them (like Ali Hillis) really did turn out to be fans, though.
- Poe's Law: Part of what makes the convention videos funny is seeing Keith talk to strangers who have no idea that he's just a character.
- Present Day Past: The documentary takes place in the '90s, but that doesn't stop Keith from appearing in present-day conventions, acknowledging modern-day games during those occasions, and calling out Dolph Ziggler. Hand Waved by Nathan Barnatt, who claims that the documentary Keith and convention/real Keith are separate.
- Rule of Funny: Nathan Barnatt's policy is that he'll do anything as long as it results in a funny video.
- Running Gag: Shouting "ASSASSIN'S CREED!" and then diving headfirst into a trash can (which usually falls over).
- Shirtless Scene: Keith as Marco Rossi in "Metal Slug: The Movie". Surprisingly, he's got some serious abs.
- Slapstick: When the humour isn't about Keith saying silly things or generally being awkward as all hell, it's about him performing ridiculous stunts or getting injured.
- Sleepyhead: Certain videos involve Keith sleeping in various (public) places. In the Super Mario Land review, the entire premise is that Keith wants to visit New York (where Mario is from in certain adaptations) to see what the big fuss is about Mario. In the end, he sleeps through his plane ride (and landing), instead ending up in France. He never notices and thinks he's in New York the whole time.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Keith has his moments of this. In particular, he believes himself to be Rambo.
- So Unfunny It's Funny: Some of Keith's jokes.
- Speech Impediment: Keith has a pronounced lisp.
- Stylistic Suck: In order to enhance the '90s feel, every so often there are VHS lines and distortions on the screen. And of course, there's the fact that the humour is usually extremely awkward.
- Troll: Keith often asks like one at conventions or other public outings. Some examples include asking God of War composer Gerard K. Marino what his favourite soundtrack was out of various obscure games, or running around E3 and asking where the Dreamcast 2 is.
- Trouser Space: Parodied in "Keith Apicary VS Dolph Ziggler".Girl: So, what do you want to do?
Keith: Uh, wanna play with my DOLPH ZIGGLER!? (reaches down pants)
Girl: Ewww! (slaps him and runs off)
Keith: (holding Dolph Ziggler action figure) What?!
- Unfortunate Names: Dolph Ziggler has one, according to Keith.Keith: What kind of name is Dolph Ziggler, anyways? If you say that name out loud, you'll get arrested for sexual harassment!
- Unusual Euphemism: In the "Kelly's Classics" video.
- Vague Age: When asked how old she is, Kelly simply replies, "I'll be eighteen someday!"