open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- One chapter in Yandere Kanojo is dedicated purely for this. Reina notices Tanaka's zipper is open, but she's too embarrassed to tell him directly. So she asks one of her friends to text him about it. Needless to say, that friend tells another friend to do it... and so on. The chapter ends with pretty much everyone knowing Tanaka's fly is open.
- In Nerawareta Gakuen, early on, Natsuki nicknames Kenji "Mr. Open Fly". It isn't the last time.
- In one episode of Yo-kai Watch, this happens to Nate thanks to being inspirited by Pandle.
- Jewelpet Kira Deco!: In a scene, this happens to a male office worker.
- Osomatsu-san: In the Season 2 premiere, in the Bad Future where the Matsuno brothers are wealthy Fat Bastards, Osomatsu, Choromatsu, and Todomatsu all have their flies open if you pay close attention.
- The Far Side has a speaker addressing the giggling workers of a zipper factory, when another worker comes up to give him a note reading "Bob, your model AA-12 is open!"
- Red Ears: There's a comic that uses this gag when a man flirts with an attractive waitress who passes him several notes. It says that his "fondness" for her was apparent because his fly was open and asks him to zip it up. The second note adds when her shift ends.
Films — Animation
- Big Hero 6: After Hiro's presentation, his brother Tadashi informs him that his fly was down the whole time. Cue Hiro embarrassingly zipping it up.
- On the teaser trailer for Zootopia, Nick is introduced naked, as a voiceover explains the concept of the movie. When the narrator talks about animals being fully clothed, clothes appear on Nick, who then turns around to zip up.
Films — Live-Action
- An extra in the bleachers of Teen Wolf is caught on camera completely unzipped, hastily covering the calumny with a knit sweater. At first, it was speculated that this was a guy over-appreciating the young men on court; however, it was later revealed to be a woman who'd squeezed herself into too-tight slacks so as not to seem fat on set. This shot is a staple of Blooper reviews.
- There is a Hope Vestergaard Toilet Training Plot book Potty Animals: What to Know When You've Gotta Go, in which some preschooler-aged Funny Animals named Wilbur the hedgehog, Wilma the pig, Arnold the crocodile, Freddie the rabbit, Helga the duck, Benji the lemur, Roxanne the hippo, Stanley the tiger, Sukey the raccoon, Georgie the bear, Farley the anteater, Agnes the mouse, and Ziggy the fox each have their own lesson they need to learn in bathroom etiquette. Ziggy's lesson is "check [his] zipper", which is this trope.
- In Snuff, there's a scene at a dinner party where the narrator talks about how long-married couples tend to have code phrases to subtly warn each other about problems such as "exposed in the crotch department" or, in the case of Sam and Sybil Vimes, "You're getting on people's nerves again, Sam." The scene ends with one of the other ladies at the dinner turning to her husband and giving him the "exposed in the crotch department" code.
- Friends, "The One with All the Poker".
Ross: Your money's mine, Green.
Rachel: Your fly's open, Geller.
Rachel: [chanting] I have got your money, and you'll never see it, and your fly's still open. [Ross looks] Ha! I made you look!
- Subverted in Agent Carter. When trying to get Jarvis out of a room (he's trying to get through the doorway), Peggy tells him his fly is open and shuts the door as he looks down to check.
- In an episode of Even Stevens, Louis' friend Twitch comments on a photograph of the Stevens family on vacation, pointing out that Louis' zipper was open. Louis scoffs and denies it, but Tawny points it out too. Luckily, Twitch changes the subject before Louis embarrassed himself even more.
- Kamen Rider Build: At the end of the first episode, Sento assures Ryuuga that he can't be as dumb as he thinks he is. Then he informs him that his fly has been open the entire time (which viewers might spot even before it's explicitly pointed out).
- In Home Improvement, a late episode has Tim make a Badass Boast, only to undermine it since he was unzipped.
Randy: Well, you gotta make a fly joke.
- Referenced in another episode, when Randy worries that he's The Unfavorite since Brad and Tim share interests in things like sports and tools. Tim assures him they're Not So Different and have similar personalities, with the example that if either one is caught with a fly down, they're not going to miss a chance to make a quip about it.
Tim: That's right, you gotta make a fly joke! "Hey, buddy, you know your fly's down?"
Randy: "Cheaper than air conditioning!" "You know your fly's down?"
Tim: "No, but if you hum a few bars..."
- Michael Jackson did this during the controversial "Panther Sequence" of his "Black Or White'' video. Right in the middle of a fierce dance routine, he suddenly zips his fly up.
- In the first Leisure Suit Larry, if you don't take off your condom after sleeping with the hooker, a policeman will arrest you because you left your fly open with said condom on.
- Algernon "Algie" Papadopoulos from Bully is considered one of the game's Butt Monkeys and perpetually walks around with his fly open.
- In one episode of The Simpsons, while setting up the class photo on the school's steps Mrs. Krabappel is going around correct various students' appearance issues and tells one student under her breath to "hoist his flag."
- In The Legend of Korra, metal manipulator Lin Beifong suddenly makes a flicking motion as a zipping sound is heard. She then tersely explains to Bolin that his fly was down.
- The anecdote attributed to Sir Winston Churchill and the imperious Lady Astor:
Lady Astor: Winston, your trousers are gaping open!
Churchill: [glances down briefly] So they are, madam. But the dead bird never falls out of the nest!
[or variably] No point in closing the stable door, madam, the horse has already bolted!