Mega Man X3
is the third entry in the Mega Man X
series, released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
on December 1995 in Japan, January 1996 in North America, and July 1996 in Europe. It was later ported to the PlayStation
, Sega Saturn
, and PC
with animated cut-scenes added in.In the year 21XX
, the Maverick epidemic has been neutralized thanks to the efforts of a Reploid scientist named Dr. Doppler, who has found a way to remove the glitch in Reploids that can cause them go berserk and turn on their human creators. Thankful for the Maverick cure, many advanced reploids choose to join Dr. Doppler in founding Doppler Town, a utopia for reploids to live in peace without the fear of losing control.
After just a few months the Mavericks who had been supposedly been neutralized begin to riot, with the realization that it is Dr. Doppler who is masterminding the new revolt. With no other choice, X and Zero must both band together to stop Dr. Doppler and his new Maverick revolution. However, X and Zero realize that there may be more to Dr. Doppler's plot than meets the eye...
The Mavericks of Mega Man X3
Tropes featured in Mega Man X3:
- A.I. Breaker: Blizzard Buffalo seems to be afraid of X's crotch, and can be manipulated into turning away from him if you partially jump over him.
- Neon Tiger will Wall Jump every time you hit him with the Spinning Blade. Hit him once, turn around and fire. Repeat until you have one dead tiger. This was certainly intentional.
- Toxic Seahorse will try to Goomba Stomp when shot by a Frost Shield. Dash away then fire another Frost Shield. His Mercy Invincibility is long enough that he can attack briefly, though.
- A Load of Bull: Blizzard Buffalo.
- Artificial Stupidity: The bosses will reset their attack patterns after being hit with their weakness. Even if you don't aim for their weakness, many of them don't have an awesome strategy aside from going from one direction to another and ramming the wall.
- Avenging the Villain: Gravity Beetle joined Doppler's army because X killed his brother, Boomer Kuwanger.
- Axe Crazy: Crush Crawfish, even before he officially went Maverick.
- Back from the Dead: Vile has been revived by Dr. Doppler as Vile MK-2.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of the game, either Zero or Doppler will arrive to destroy Sigma's viral form.
- Bonus Boss: Vile can be fought early in Volt Catfish's stage, this is required for X to get the Infinity+1 Sword.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Dr. Doppler by the Sigma Virus, as well as many of the reploids in Doppler's army.
- Call Back: If you look closely at the background of Gravity Beetle's level you'll see an airship of the exact same model as the one you fought Storm Eagle on top of sitting on a runway.
- Combining Mecha: If Bit and Byte are not defeated in the Maverick stages, they'll return in the Doppler stages combined as the Godkarmachine O Inary.
- Dub-Induced Plot Hole: An infamous one, almost as bad as Mega Man 7's American Kirby Is Hard Core ending change. X wonders about his fate, and the narrator says his fate has already been decided: "To save mankind, he must destroy Zero." The original Japanese says that X and Zero will fight at some point, but no indication it's to the death. Luckily Mega Man X4 backpedals this to a mere conflict so the fight in Mega Man X5 makes more sense.
- Double Jump: X's leg upgrades allow him to dash straight up, in additional to forward in the air. The leg chip takes this a step further, allowing X to dash twice in the air, effectively giving him a triple jump!
- Everything's Worse with Bees: Blast Hornet.
- Face-Heel Turn: Blast Hornet was second in command of Zero's Maverick Hunter unit before he went Maverick, Gravity Beetle defects from the Maverick Hunters after X killed his brother, Boomer Kuwanger, in Mega Man X
- Funny Background Event: During Volt Catfish's animated opening sequence a robot very similar to Auto from the Mega Man (Classic) series can be seen watching TV in the background.
- Giant Enemy Crawfish: Crush Crawfish.
- Golden Super Mode: If X neglects to gain any of the individual armor chip upgrades, he can gain the golden armor chip during the final levels, which give him the powers of all of them, as well as a shiny golden makeover.
- Ground Pound: The charged Triad Thunder does this.
- Healing Factor: The ability granted by X's head chip upgrade, although it only works while X is standing still.
- Heroic Sacrifice: If Zero has been incapacitated before the end of the game, Dr. Doppler will sacrifice himself to upload the vaccine program into Sigma, destroying them both.
- Hijacked By Sigma: Just like in Mega Man X2, Sigma has been pulling the strings the whole time.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Zero's Beam Saber.
- Japanese Beetle Brothers: Gravity Beetle (a rhinoceros beetle) is the brother of Boomer Kuwanger (a stag beetle).
- Lost Forever: If you let Zero die at any time during the game, or skip or defeat Vile MK-2 in Volt Catfish's stage with any weapon other than his weakness, X will no longer be able to get the Beam Saber through conventional gameplay. It's possible to manipulate the password system to enable the saber and Vile however.
- If X gets any one of the individual armor upgrade chips, he cannot get the Hyper Chip that gives him all the chip powers. Again, manipulating the password system can still enable up to three of the upgrade chips.
- Multiple Endings: There's two different endings depending on whether you kept Zero alive or not.
- Panthera Awesome: Neon Tiger.
- Promoted to Playable: Zero can be called on to take X's place in a level, except against bosses (with one exception).
- Psycho Electric Catfish: Volt Catfish
- Rhino Rampage: Tunnel Rhino.
- Spread Shot: Ray Splasher is of the Spray Burst variant.
- Updated Re-release: The PlayStation, Saturn, PC version featured animated cut-scenes, enhanced music, and a save feature. All of this comes at the expense of loading times, which was eradicated in its inclusion of the Mega Man X Collection.
- Utility Weapon:
- The Virus: Its finally revealed that Sigma's true form is that of a computer virus that can force reploids to go Maverick against their will.