Film: Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
A horror Anthology Film based on Tales from the Darkside television series, released 1990.In the film's Framing Device, Betty, a modern day witch, has captured a little boy named Timmy in order to turn him into a dinner. Timmy stalls her by reading three tales from the favourite book of her childhood: Tales from the Darkside.
- Lot 249: A college student uses his recently purchased mummy to enact vengeance on those who have wronged him. Based on a short story by Arthur Conan Doyle.
- The Cat from Hell: An old businessman hires a hitman to kill a cat, which he claims has killed the other members of his household. Based on a short story by Stephen King.
- Lover's Vow: After an artist witnesses a gargoyle killing a person, it makes him vow to never tell about it. Based on the legend of Yuki-Onna from Lafcadio Hearn's Kwaidan.
The film in general:
- Bloodier and Gorier: The movie didn't have to worry about broadcast rules.
- The Film of the Series
- Spiritual Successor: To Creepshow and Creepshow 2. Considering on how the television series was intially pitched as a spinoff to Creepshow, it isn't much of a stretch.
- You Look Familiar: Prior to the film, Deborah Harry, Christian Slater and William Hickey had appeared in the television show.
- Antagonist Title: The mummy is referred to as Lot 249, taken from its auction number.
- An Arm and a Leg: Andy dismembers the mummy's arm and a leg before killing it for good.
- Groin Attack: Andy threatens to roast Bellingham's nuts when he has him tied to a chair.
- Hooks and Crooks: The mummy kills Lee by removing his brain through his nostrils with a coathanger.
- Mummy: An Egyptian one.
- Off with His Head!: Andy kills the mummy by decapitating it, and placing its head on the fireplace.
- Shout-Out: Bellingham says that he lost the Penrose Fellowship after being accused of stealing a "Zuni fetish." This is a shout-out to Trilogy of Terror, another horror Anthology Film.
The Cat from Hell
- Animal Testing: Drogan believes that the cat has come to make him pay for the thousands of dead cats that were tested with his drug.
- As You Know: Halston reminds Drogan about his business to provide exposition to audience.
- Cats Are Mean: In a vengeful sort of way.
- Chewing the Scenery: Johansen just hams up the part. He keeps chewing the scenery even when the cat is crawling in Halston's mouth.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The cat not only goes after some people who made millions on a drug that was fatally tested on thousands of cats, but also a servant who merely happened to work for them.
- More Dakka: Growing frustrated with the cat, Halston picks up the biggest gun from his suitcase to finish it off.
- Orifice Evacuation: When Drogan returns home to see if Halston has succeeded, the cat removes itself from Halston's corpse though the mouth it came in, causing Drogan to have a heart attack.
- Orifice Invasion: The cat kills Halston by forcing itself down his mouth.
- Professional Killer: Halston.
- Second Person Attack: We see the cat lunging at his victim, with the camera going right to the victim's mouth just to make it clear that it's an Orifice Invasion.
- Cradling Your Kill: The gargoyle enfolds/cradles her husband in her bat-like wings and bites him on the neck, laying him gently on the ground as he bleeds to death. She then howls in remorse.
- Our Gargoyles Rock: Not just a stony beast, it can also turn into a human.
- The Reveal: After Preston tells Carola about his encounter with the gargoyle, she reveals that she is the gargoyle in question.
- Taken for Granite: In the end, the gargoyle places itself on a roof and turns into stone.
- Wham Line: "YOU PROMISED YOU'D NEVER TELL!"
The wraparound story
- Asshole Victim: Betty, considering what she planned to do to Timmy.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: After killing Betty, Timmy turns to the audience and proclaims how he loves happy endings.
- Homage: To Hansel and Gretel, just with no Gretel.
- Murder by Cremation: Timmy kills Betty when he pushes her into her own oven.
- Slippery Skid: Timmy throws marbles to cell floor to make Betty trip.