Trilogy of Terror is a 1975 made for TV horror anthology film. Directed by Dan Curtis, it consists of three segments which are based on short stories by Richard Matheson.
- "Julie" - A University English teacher is blackmailed into a relationship with her student.
- "Millicent and Therese" - Two sisters hate each other with a passion. The older sister decides to deal with the younger one once and for all.
- "Amelia" - A woman with an overbearing mother accidentally releases a murderous spirit within a Zuni Fetish doll free and must fight for her life. The film's most popular and best remembered segment.
- Pilot Movie: The film was intended as the pilot for a new horror anthology tv show, but it failed.
- The X of Y
- Blackmail: Chad uses pictures that he took from the unconscious Julie to blackmail her to be with him.
- Character Title: Julie is the traget of Chad's obsessions.
- Hot for Teacher: Chad gets a weird idea about seeing what's under his teacher Julie's clothes. This develops into an unhealthy obsession about her, eventually turning into sexual abuse.
- No-Tell Motel: After drugging her, Chad drags unconscious Julie into one to have his way with her.
- Slipping a Mickey: Chad takes Julie on a date to a Drive-In Theater, and when he goes to get them some drinks, he drugs hers.
- Shout-Out: Chad signs himself and Julie in the motel under the names "Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Harker", who is a character in the novel Dracula.
- Twist Ending: Julie reveals that she's been manipulating Chad from the beginning, playing along with his sex-blackmail scheme For the Evulz, then kills him and destroys his incriminating photos. And he is not the first one.
- Villain Protagonist: Chad, whom we follow exploiting Julie.
"Millicent and Therese"
- Happier Home Movie: The segment opens with Millicent watching an old home movie from her childhood, which has both of her parents alive.
- Hollywood Voodoo: Inspired by a child's doll that Therese broke, Millicent decides to get rid of her with a Voodoo Doll.
- Name and Name
- Parental Incest: According to Millicent, Therese seduced their father when she was 16.
- Twist Ending: Therese is actually same person as Millicent, who is suffering from Split Personality. And by destroying her "sister", she kills herself.
- The Vamp: Therese, who attempts to seduce any man near her.
- Agony of the Feet: The Zuni Fetish doll begins its attack on Amelia by stabbing her feet while she's searching for it.
- Fangs Are Evil: The Zuni Fetish doll has sharp teeth. Amelia sports them after she is possessed by the doll's spirit.
- The Ghost: Amelia's mother is never shown onscreen; all the interactions between her and her daughter are through a phone.
- Kill It with Water: Amelia tries to unsuccessfully drown the Zuni Fetish doll by wrapping it in a towel and submerging it in a bathtub.
- Knife Nut: After awakening, the Zuni Fetish doll grabs one of Amelia's kitchen knives and spends the segment chasing her with it.
- Murder by Cremation: Amelia finally gets rid of the Zuni Fetish doll by locking it in an oven, where it catches on fire.
- My Beloved Smother: Amelia's mother, who demands all of her attention and doesn't let her live her own life.
- Perverse Puppet: After the medallion around it is removed, the Zuni Fetish doll comes to life and starts attacking Amelia.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The Zuni Fetish doll is small but powerful.
- Protagonist Title
- Twist Ending: Amelia manages to destroy the Zuni Fetish doll, but is possessed by the spirit residing in it, and the segment ends with her waiting to ambush her mother.