A Country Music singer known as much for her own music as she is for her longterm marriage to Tim McGraw. Hill debuted in 1993 with the song "Wild One" from her album Take Me as I Am and remained a regular presence on the country music charts throughout the 1990s and into the early 2000s. Her biggest hits came in the latter half of the 1990s decade, including the McGraw duet "It's Your Love", as well as "This Kiss", "Breathe" and "The Way You Love Me", all of which crossed over to pop radio.After a more pop and AC oriented crossover album, Faith returned to form in 2005 with Fireflies, which returned her to her more traditional country-pop sound. This album accounted for her last Number One hit in "Mississippi Girl" (co-written by John Rich of Big & Rich). She's been pretty much quiet after a couple flops from a Greatest Hits Album and a stray Christmas album, but finally returned in 2011 with the dud single "Come Home" (a One Republic cover). After that flopped, she tried again with "American Heart" in late 2012.From 2006-2014 she provided the musical opening for NBC's Sunday Night Football telecasts.
- Take Me As I Am (1993)
- It Matters To Me (1995)
- Faith (1998)
- Breathe (1999)
- Cry (2002)
- Fireflies (2005)
- Joy To The World (2008)
- Assumed Win: The 2006 Country Music Awards saw Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood both nominated for Female Vocalist of the Year. As the nominations were being announced, a camera was trained on all five finalists, including Hill and Underwood. Then, as Underwood was announced the winner, Hill smiled and raised her arms, then apparently screamed "What?" and stormed away. All of this was caught on live television just before the nominee camera shots were pulled away. Faith Hill and her management insisted the act was a joke, but left many unconvinced.
- Auto-Tune: The backing vocals on the pop remix of "The Way You Love Me".
- Doo Wop Progression: The first half of the verses to "I Can't Do That Anymore".
- Early-Bird Cameo: Before her debut single, she sang backing vocals for Gary Morris, at whose publishing company she worked in the late 80s.
- Greatest Hits Album: The Hits.
- Lyrical Shoehorn: The first stanza of "The Way You Love Me":If I could grant you one wishI wish you could see the way you kiss
- So she'll grant him a wish, but she gets to pick it for him. Yeah, that makes sense. Also, the next two lines are heavily laden with "ooh"s just to make the meter fit.
- Ms. Fanservice: In her Sunday Night Football intros.
- New Sound Album: Cry completed the transition from country-pop to outright pop that began in Breathe. Although this sound won her a Grammy for the title track and gave her a third number one on the AC charts, the rest of the album did very little at country or pop radio ("Cry" zoomed to #12 then dropped like a rock), and led to many fans accusing her of selling out to the pop base. She pretty much returned to her mid-1990s sound with Fireflies in 2005.
- Pretty in Mink: Wore a couple fur wraps for some videos, such as "There You'll Be" and "I Love the Way You Love Me".
- Rearrange the Song: "You Can't Lose Me" was re-recorded for the video.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: "Breathe" only got to #2 on the Hot 100, but was the top pop hit of 2000 per the Billboard Year-End charts.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Done a lot, almost exclusively.
- Surreal Music Video: "This Kiss", which has her swinging from cherries, riding rockets, and playing with oversized butterflies.
- Truck Driver's Gear Change: The verses of "The Way You Love Me" are in C. It goes up to D for most of the chorus, and then up again to E for the last line of the chorus.
- Viva Las Vegas: "Let's Go to Vegas" has her persuading a lover to run off and get married in Las Vegas. The Trope Namer is name-dropped in the bridge.
- Word Salad Lyrics: "Red Umbrella". On one blog, the writers tried to justify it as being like a The Beatles song, but judge for yourself:You can wear your sorrow like an old raincoatYou can save your tears in a bottle made of goldBut the glitter on the sidewalk always shinesYeah, even God needs to cry sometimes