Not even for a coffee maker.*
: "Forgive me, my friend." Bender
, The Day the Earth Stood Stupid
Shouting the word "NEVER!" to show a character is determined not to do something, and will proclaim it, usually either angrily or proudly.
Note, without the determination being expressed, it's not this trope. It's just shouting a word that happens to be "NEVER!".
of Big Word Shout
Compare Big "NO!"
Contrast Big "YES!"
open/close all folders
- In One Piece when Kuma is about to finish off the whole crew on Thriller Bark, he offers them a chance if they give Luffy in. They all answer "NEVER!!" and get nuked by his attack.
- In the final battle between Simon and the Anti-Spirals in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Simon shouts "Take/Eat this!" with a huge "NEVER!" as a response.
- In Trigun, Wolfwood lets out a rather epic "I won't let any more children suffer... NEVER AGAIN!!" in episode 10.
- In The Smurfs comic book story "You Don't Smurf Progress", the waste disposal robot, who became the tyrant of the Smurf Village, shouts this when he tries to escape from the front door of his castle, but finds himself surrounded by the Smurfs that were once his captives, demanding for his surrender. He tries to use a secret escape hatch, only to be turned into furniture when Handy cuts off his escape with his furniture-making machine.
- While it was written and not spoken, Rorschach's response to the Keene Act probably still qualifies.
- Joseph Lemaitre's French: How to Speak and Write It uses this trope in a comic illustration to make the introduction of the word "never" more memorable:
Live Action TV
- In Seinfeld, Kramer has a jacket which used to belong to his mother's ex-boyfriend, and is refusing to give it back to him. Later, the boyfriend turns up pounding at Jerry's door demanding the jacket. Kramer responds with an over-dramatic "Never!"
- The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Dramatis Personae" has the following dialogue (for context, the characters are Not Themselves):
Sisko: What can we do?
O'Brien: Leave the station.
Sisko: NEVER!! Get me a phaser, and I'll get rid of Kira.
O'Brien: Hear me out, sir. We leave the station, raise a Federation attack force and return. And on that day, you should get rid of all your enemies.
- In Assassins' "Ballad of Booth," this (and a racial slur) form the song's climax.
- In Kiss Me Kate, Kate has a wild coloratura cadenza in the first-act finale whose words are "Never!" repeated nineteen times.
- In The Musical On the 20th Century, Lily has an entire song called "Never" (about how she won't go back to her controlling ex-lover), which culminates in a shouted "Never!".
- In The Lion King stage musical, Nala typically responds to Scar's propositioning with: "Never, Scar. NEVER."
Extra: "Will someone shut that man up?!"
John Adams" "NEVER!!! NEVER!!!"
- In H.M.S. Pinafore, we have a rare non-defiant example of a Big Never during the song "I Am The Captain Of The Pinafore":
Captain: ...I am never known to quail At the fury of a gale, And I'm never, never sick at sea!
Crew: What, never?
Captain: No, never!
Crew: What, neverrrr?
Captain: HARDLY EVERRRRRR!
- In Jekyll and Hyde, the Eleven O'Clock Number "Confrontation" ends with one.
- Chess gets a rather notable one- "Endgame" culminates in a shouting match between Anatoly and his estranged wife Svetlana, with a series of "Liar!", "Never!", "LIAR!", "NEVER!", "LIAR!", finally ending with Anatoly belting a long sustained G# NEVER!. Chess being what it is, this ending has been rewritten and reset many times, with the other common version being between Anatoly and his opponent Freddie, with "Check!", "Never!". Depending on the version, either Freddie or Anatoly end up with the long belted G#.
- Mortal Kombat
- In World of Warcraft, early on in Icecrown Citadel, Arthas reveals that he had once considered making Tirion Fordring his greatest champion, but now is planning on doing the same to Bolvar Fordragon, who screams "NEVER! I will never serve you!" in response.
- This Order of the Stick strip.
- This Sinfest strip has Slick do this when an Illuminati drone demands "Please hand in your testicles." It was really Monique and Green Devil Girl pranking Slick through the drone.
- American Dad!
- Hayley about being told to drop being angry about Bush.
- In the episode Stannie Get Your Gun, the mascot upon learning that he is fired and will have to relinquish his costume. A beautifully rendered "NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!" coupled with a fantastic dive through a plate glass window.
- Futurama had a few.
- This exchange from Bender's Big Score
Nudar: So what'll it be, unconditional surrender -
Nudar: - Or total destruction?
Leela: Also never!
Nudar: You have thirty seconds - make up your minds!
- From "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid":
Zoidberg: Forgive me, my friend!
- The Simpsons
- The dialogue of the first few minutes of the first Fairly Odd Parents movie Abra-Catastrophe goes more or less like this:
Disguised Cosmo or Wanda: Tell me your secret, Timmy!
- Done twice in SpongeBob SquarePants in which Spongebob inflates Bubble Buddy like a balloon to escape the crowd trying to pop Bubble Buddy and another where he "refuses" to never play on the hooks again after promising Mr. Krabs.
Spongebob: "You'll never catch us now! Never! Haha! Never! *Suddenly starts descending* Never..."
- Also seen in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, during the battle with Dennis the assassin on David Hasselhoff's back. Dennis states to SpongeBob that he "always gets his man", prompting the latter to let out a very long, epic "NEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!" as he jumps across to Hasselhoff's other leg in slow-motion.
- Seen in the original Adventure Time pilot. Pen (later Finn) shouts this while freeing himself from the Ice King's ice.
- And the time the keeper of "The Enchiridion!" tried to make Finn slay an unaligned ant.
- Speaking of the "The Enchiridion!"...
- Rocko's Modern Life, "I Have No Son": Ralph Bighead says "NEVER!!!", several times, very loudly, at the prospect of seeing his parents again.
- Fun fact: The "NEVER!" monologue was creator Joe Murray's audition for the role of Ralph. The writers put that joke in because Murray never ever screaming in his life.
- Dan Vs. "Baseball":
Dan's arm is on fire
Chris: Dan, stop, drop, and roll!
Dan: *runs off* Never!
- Happens once in Danny Phantom.
"Now will you be my frieeeeend?"
- Optimus Prime delivers a defiant "NEVER!" to Megatron in Transformers: The Movie in response to him saying "It's over, Prime!" before smacking him right in the face.
Miko: YOU doublecross ANYONE — MINE is the face you'll never forget! NEVERRRRR!
- During the climax of Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip, when present Dexter asks for the MacGuffin back, Future Mandark replies with "NEVEERRR!".
- Even though she's being viciously tortured, Daphne shouts "NEVER!" to the Tritannus and Trix after they demand to know the secret of Dark Sirenix in Winx Club.
- In The Rescuers Down Under, after Cody says he'll never tell McLeach where Marahoute the eagle is, he uses the Big Never twice in a row.
- Uttered by Zira at the end of The Lion King II, just right after refusing to accept Kiara's offer to rescue her and falls to her doom in the river below.
- It should be noted that this was the original ending that was cut for being too dark. The final cut only involves Zira struggling for Kiara's paw before screaming as she falls into the giant-log-filled river.
- Toy Story 2:
Stinky Pete: Your choice, Woody: you can go to Japan together or in pieces. If he fixed you once, he can fix you again. Now get in the box!
- Beauty and the Beast: Belle says this after Gaston says he'll save her father from getting thrown into the asylum if she agrees to marry him.
- El Tigre in "Puma Licito".
Rodolfo: Papi, take it back now!
Puma Loco: NEVER!!
TV Tropes Will Ruin My Life? NEVER!!!