Fanfic: Calvin and Hobbes: The Movie
Calvin and Hobbes: The Movie is a fanfic written by Swing123, and is the first installment in what would become the Calvinverse.Calvin and Hobbes are forced to go to Camp Pine. Obviously, neither of them are thrilled by the arrangement, but things soon turn worse when aliens start coming...The original is something of an Old Shame for the author, so he's rewritten it. Tropes in that version are also included here.
open/close all folders
Tropes exclusive to the original version
- all lowercase letters: Downplayed - Chapter 7 and beyond has a pretty bad problem with capitalization.
- Anti-Climax: Lampshaded:Calvin: You mean to tell me that I wasted a perfectly good drama scene while Camp Pine wasn't even a mile from here!
- Batter Up: Hobbes is armed with one of these.
- Big "NO!": Calvin when Hobbes is "killed".
- Bound and Gagged: Calvin, his alter egos, and Hobbes in Chapter 9.
- Burning with Anger: Calvin turns red when he learns of Camp Pine.
- Cerebus Retcon: Calvin's declaring himself the Supreme Earth Potentate now has a bunch of aliens on his tail.
- Characterization Marches On: Rupert and Earl's crew is actually intelligent. They become their idiotic selves in the remake.
- Close-Call Haircut: Calvin gets one in Chapter 6, thanks to a laser gun.
- Credits Gag: The bonus chapter, which shows all the characters watching the movie, arguing about it.
- Department of Redundancy Department:"Hobbes stared in horror as an energy force field began to cover Hobbes up."
- Disney Death: Hobbes, who gets turned into his stuffed animal form - even to Calvin.
- Fainting: Calvin does this at the end of Chapter 5, after learning the aliens' plan.
- Foreshadowing: The end of Chapter 2:But none of them knew that by the end of the week, laughing would be a thing of the past.
- Then there's John Chill's sharp teeth, which the aliens also sport.
- Gasp: Calvin does it a few times.
- Ghost Story: Calvin and Hobbes share a few at the beginning of Chapter 5.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation:Calvin: Why would anyone want to save ME? All I do is prank my parents, prank other people's parents, and throw water balloons at anyone I see. I wouldn't be shocked if everyone was celebrating back at my house!
- Homage: The very end is a recreation of the climax of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: The end of Chapter 9 - either Calvin gives over the Earth, or his friends and alter egos die.
- "I Am" Song: Calvin sings one when harnessing The Power of Rock.
- Insistent Terminology: "His/her eyes bulged." Expect to see that a lot.
- Lame Rhyme Dodge:Nublar: hi bob. we were just on our way to the weaponry mph, murp snirk skittle.
Galaxoid: he means the cafeteria. he feels that getting enough to eat is like arming yourself with weapons! Isn't that hilarious?
- Last Name Basis: John Chill.
- Lemony Narrator:The king peeked over Spiff's shoulder and SAW... whew.
You think he saw Spiff's laser, and all of their plans were ruined, right?
Do you know what the king saw?
IT WAS CALVIN'S DUFFLE BAG!
- Loophole Abuse: As the narrative puts it:"And," Chill went on. "You compete in races, and contests. There will be NO violence here at Camp Pine whoever is caught bullying another, will face the punishment!"
Moe's mouth dropped open, and Calvin felt somewhat better. But then again, Moe always found a loophole.
- Medium Awareness:Hobbes: Why wait till tonight?
Calvin: Hobbes the good part of the movie happens then. Do you want to RUSH through the movie?
Calvin: Good. Then we'll wait for tonight.
Calvin: You mean to tell me that I wasted a perfectly good drama scene while Camp Pine wasn't even a mile from here!
- Then there's an absolutely fourth-wall shattering exchange in Chapter 8, where Calvin and Tracer's brawl interrupts the movie. It takes quite a while, and the news guy ends up undergoing some Sanity Slippage.
- And there's this:
- Then there's the Credits Gag, which has Calvin insulting the audience.
- Mythology Gag: "I'll bet we're missing some great shows on TV right now." To this comic.
- The small Calvins that apparently operate Calvin's brain make a return twice.
- One of these ends up saving Calvin - "I'M HOME!"
- No Name Given: Lampshaded:Search & Rescue team member: We have been searching the area, Mr. And Mrs... um... I forgot your names.
- No Sympathy: When everyone else thinks Calvin's dead, Chill is the only one who isn't surprised. "Too bad."
- Once More with Clarity: Chapter 10 revisits a few earlier moments, revealing the aliens' influence.
- OOC Is Serious Business:Hobbes stared at Calvin. Never in his entire life had he saw Calvin break down sobbing.
- Operation Blank: Operation Kill Earth.
- Overly Long Gag: In-Universe, Calvin and Tracer's brawl takes 97 hours to stop."But then who's the imposter?" asked Spiff.
"I'll give you ten guesses." said the fake Chill.
"Dumbo?" asked Calvin.
"No." said the fake Chill.
"Martha Stuart?" asked Hobbes.
"No." said the fake Chill.
"David Letterman?" asked Galixoid.
"I'll give you a hint." said the fake Chill. "alien"
"GARFIELD!" shouted Calvin.
"JIM CARREY!" screamed Hobbes.
"MARK TWAIN!" insisted Spiff.
"LEMONY SNICKET!" screamed Stupendous man.
"SHERLOCK HOLMES!" cried Tracer.
"THE PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA!" yelled Galixoid.
"THE GUY WHO INVENTED MARBLES!" Nebular yelled.
"HANK THE COWDOG!" Calvin yelled.
"THAT'S ENOUGH!" The fake Chill screeched.
- Pass the Popcorn: Hobbes outright quotes the trope when watching Calvin and Tracer fight.
- Calvin quotes it while watching the news guy go insane.
- The Power of Rock: In a homage to The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": Calvin does these along with a Big "NO!" after finding himself lost.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: John Chill is pretty patient with Calvin's antics.
- The Reveal: The end of Chapter 8. John Howard Chill is an alien impostor.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: All over the place.
- Sanity Slippage: The news guy.
- Sequel Hook: Calvin mentions the sequel during the Credits Gag.
- Scenery Porn: In-Universe:Calvin looked out over the beautiful snow capped mountains, and huge forests that surrounded it. The lake seemed like a sparkling wonderland and just increased the beauty of the wonderful scenery that Calvin and Hobbes now feasted their eyes.
- Shout-Out: Aside from the above, the final chapter is titled "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jog" - a slightly off version of a rhyme most well-known for its use in Blade Runner.
- Spoiler Title: Chapter 9 is titled "HE'S AN ALIEN!", giving away John Chill's true identity (though it was revealed in the chapter before it).
- The Stinger: The Credits Gag climaxes with this: a static screen saying "DROP DEAD!" The characters immediately start trying to destroy the screen at this moment.
- Take a Third Option: Defied by Calvin.
- Take That, Audience!: One of the stranger examples - The Stinger is a static screen saying "DROP DEAD!" The characters, who were watching this as a Credits Gag, are offended.
- There Is Only One Bed: A non-sexual example - Calvin and Hobbes sleep in the same sleeping bag.
- Transformation Ray: The aliens have one, and they use it to efficiently kill Hobbes. (More specifically, they turn him into his stuffed animal form.)
- Trap Door: Calvin and Hobbes fall victim to one in Chapter 5.
- Trope 2000: The "Take Over the World 3000". There are several of them, and they're all disabled.
- Two Words: Obvious Trope: Exploited by Calvin: he gets the impostor John Chill to say "I'M HOME!", thus getting himself attacked by Hobbes.
- Unstoppable Rage: Calvin slips into this at the end of Chapter 6.
You think Calvin went screaming right into the middle of the aliens hitting as many as he could, right?
- The beginning of Chapter 7 then subverts it:
Go ahead and admit it.
well, you're wrong.
- Villain Override: Chapter 10 reveals that one of the aliens had possessed one of Moe's friends to coerce him to get Calvin to Camp Pine.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Also pretty common.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 3 - a giant tentacle comes out of nowhere and snatches Calvin's water balloons.
- Then there's Chapter 5, which reveals the alien's plot - turning Earth into an army ground on which to kill other aliens, along with killing the Supreme Earth Potentate.
- Chapter 6 reveals the aliens themselves, along with "killing" Hobbes.
- Chapter 8: Calvin's alter egos come to life.
- Wham Line: The end of Chapter 7, to a lesser degree:Hobbes stared at Calvin as if wondering if he should answer or not.
He didn't get the chance to, because at that very moment... something very bad happened.
- When Trees Attack: Parodied somewhat:Trying to avoid the various monsters of the forest. Like tree monsters, or bush monsters, or leaf monsters! Stuff like that.
- You Fool!: One alien says this to a lesser alien.
Tropes exclusive to the rewritten version
- Ask a Stupid Question...:Hobbes: Never mind. Are we going somewhere?
Calvin: No, I just enjoy tearing my bed up.
- Call Forward: Calvin mentions that he'll later cram the portal to the empty dimensionnote into a cube. He later does just that in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series.
- Continuity Nod: Calvin makes note of a long-distance walkie talkie he had in his backpack "a couple of weeks ago" - echoing one of the original strips. (Though said strip took place in winter, and the fic is set in the following summer...)
- Huddle Power: Moe and his Gang of Bullies do this.
- Misery Builds Character: Mentioned.
- Right Behind Me: Hobbes outright quotes the trope (more or less) when informing Calvin of Moe's presence.
- Shout-Out: A rather morbid one:Calvin: (after Susie boards the bus) So I'm assuming Leatherface is getting on, next, right?
- John Howard Chill, according to Calvin, is as creepy as Torgo in swim trunks.
- Stunned Silence: "No, I think this is more of a silence moment."
- Tempting Fate: Right after Hobbes remarks "Well, on the one hand, at least it's just one kid from your school...", Susie boards the bus.
- Your Mom: According to Calvin, Moe's mother is a compost pile.
Tropes both fics have
- Bag of Holding: Calvin's duffel bag has a lot of junk in it.
- This is justified in the remake - the duffel bag uses a portal to a nearly-empty dimension that he can store stuff in.
- Beard of Evil: Rupert has one.
- Big Bad: Rupert.
- Big "WHAT?!":
- In the original:
- Chill does two of these when he finds out that Calvin escaped.
- Calvin also does this upon finding that Camp Pine wasn't even that far.
- In the remake:
- Calvin does this upon Hobbes snarking on something he said.
- In the original:
- The Movie: A fake one.
- Say My Name: Lots of times.
- Script Fic
- Summer Campy: Camp Pine.
- Title: The Adaptation